Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Elmar2001
Star
Star

Please move to old Firmware and App as soon as possible and make the system work again. A security system that does not work any more after an update is really crap.

You forced me and the community to move to the new app and renewed the firmware of the base station. Now the geofencing is not working any more. It says repeatedly, that the connection to the base station and internet is lost. When I am arriving at home, Arlo does not detect me any more.

Before the system run fine for a long time without problems. So do the customer a favor and go back and give him back a functional system. Immediately.

Thanks. Sorry, I am really angry, because I bought the system for security reasons and spend a lot of money and now it is not working. 

257 REPLIES 257
Boomer_1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well since geo-fencing relies on the app being running in the background and a cellular connection it is very possible in this case based on the bug list descriptions. I told them I would continue testing the rest of this week before I could consider closing my case. So far it has worked.

What are your exact symptoms. I have seen several different problems noted in the forums recently although most seem to be related to the two symptoms I saw with this problem.

Rwf3820
Guide
Guide
I just keep on getting the message internet connection lost I then have to manually open the app and then it sets have to do it in reverse on return.What annoys me is before having to switch to the new app every thing worked fine so when the companies split why couldn’t they just migrate the old app to the new company
LoneZwolf2
Apprentice
Apprentice
Also upgraded to 13.2.2 about a week ago or whenever the update came out. No change. I still get the “Internet connection was lost” message once I leave my geofence zone.

When I re-enter the zone area, the system does not disarm so once I pull into my driveway I get “motion detected” notifications. Sometimes, after my driveway and garage cams notify me, sometimes the system disarms itself and sometimes it doesn’t.

Like the poster above, if I launch the app, then it will arm or disarm based on my location.

All in all, it is intermittent for me. Majority of the time is what I describe above. On rare occasions, it arms and disarms itself correctly. But there is nothing drastically different that I am doing that I can think of.
Boomer_1
Apprentice
Apprentice

One other thing I did just to start with a clean slate the end of last week was reset everything by doing  the following:

1) Make sure that the Arlo Legacy app is not installed on either phone.

2) Remove the "grant access" to the secondary phone.

3) Remove the Arlo app from both phones in the following manner. Go to 

Settings > General > iPhone Storage > Arlo - Delete the app here on both phones. That deletes not just the app but any local data stored on the phone. It will NOT delete your configurations as they are stored on the Cloud Server.

4) Re-download and install the app on both phones.

5) Regrant access to the secondary phone from the primary.

Prior to doing this my main problem was the secondary phone always had to be opened to activate geo-fencing the 

majority of the time with an occasional problem where I would get the message the "internet connection was lost and geo-fencing was disabled" on the primary phone. Once I completed this re-install the symptoms went to about 50-50 

on which symptom I encountered.

It was a couple of days later that I updated to IOS 13 on both phones. Since I did that I have not seen the problem so far.

I will post my results at the end of the week whether it continues to work or I still have problems.

Boomer_1
Apprentice
Apprentice

I would suggest doing a clean install as noted below.

Rwf3820
Guide
Guide
I’ll have a go at that but I am slowly losing the will to live with Arlo
LoneZwolf2
Apprentice
Apprentice
Leaving for work in about an hour. I’ll give it a shot right now and post here if it works using your steps.
Rwf3820
Guide
Guide

Did all that just been out still not working

unclev
Star
Star

The issue is not resolved. I don't think everyone understands but this is not just an issue with iOS. The root cause is you cannot connect via the app using Wi-Fi. If you connect via cellular it is fine. There are many people that are having the same issue on android devices. Arlo application engineers botched up the app a while back and it took them months to get it resolved. Evidently they need to hire engineers that actually solve issues in a timely fashion because I guarantee you they won't rectify this for months. I honestly can't believe that people would tolerate this and say they're working on it for weeks. This should have been solved in a matter of days. If anybody wants to know what real cameras and a stable system are you should get the Nest. Once I went with their system no more problems.

LoneZwolf2
Apprentice
Apprentice
Ok, I did a clean install as boomer suggested and it did arm itself and notify me correctly. However, it was doing this before intermittently. So, time will tell.

I’ll post again when I get home to see if it disarms properly later tonight.
fredr1k
Tutor
Tutor
Before updating to iOS13 and the new app I never had issues with geofencing. Now I have tried what I can to resolve it but without luck.

When I go from go from home either nothing happens or the message comes. When opening the app geofencing Initiates and changes status.

Runs two Arlo pro 2 cameras. Geofencing activated on two iPhones with newest iOS version.
jpottaway
Apprentice
Apprentice
To the question of Apple vs Arlo updates there is no question. Arlo is to blame, always. ENGAGE IN THE BETA PROGRAM!!! It goes for 6 months and devs test and provide a wealth of feedback to Apple. This ensures properly maintained apps have a smooth transition - like the other day one functioning geofencing apps on the App Store! Arlo on the other hand seems to be developed more like a high school project rather than a listed companies main product. Pathetic.
02redcavi
Guide
Guide
My geofencing has been working fine going in and out of zones and arming disarming since 10/11. I don’t know if they fixed the issue or not? I have not changed any settings or anything.
Boomer_1
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am just reporting what I did that appears to have fixed my geo-fencing and not really reporting on who is to blame. Since Arlo owns the app they are responsible for its  performance. They had the ability to start IOS 13 testing since the week after WWDC (Early June). Arlo has had very poor performance especially with regards to geo-fencing. They do not even realize that it should be considered mission-critical (I doubt they know the meaning). However I am just trying to give folks what helped in my case.

LoneZwolf2
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yeah nope. A clean install did not work for me. Removed Arlo app clean, reinstalled. It seemed to work when I left for work but when I got home all my cameras went off and I had to open the app to get the system to disarm itself.

I’ve sort of held out hope but I’m starting to wonder if this is happening because of indifference or incompetence not that one is better than the other.
Boomer_1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sorry to hear that. That just means mine is probably due to break any day now. it worked ok again today. Using Arlo's geofencing is about like driving a Toaster thru a carwash. You never know what to expect.

fredr1k
Tutor
Tutor
Wrote to Matthew McRae to see his response to this and got the following reply:

https://twitter.com/mbmcrae/status/1194410510344761344?s=21

Good to hear that work is getting done but as I wrote in my reply it truly feels strange to se my 20$ Wyze handle it flawlessly while my quite costly Arlo system keeps failing on and on again!

/Fredrik
jpottaway
Apprentice
Apprentice

Everyone hit that tweet.  Maybe something will actually get done.  Buck passing to iOS13 is pathetic for a developer of a security system of this cost.

LoneZwolf2
Apprentice
Apprentice
Saw that reply. If it’s true then why don’t I have issues with my Nest system I wonder?
jpottaway
Apprentice
Apprentice

Simple.  Read the iOS13 change notes released months back where it details the changes and requirements for apps.  Nest simply got their app ready in that time and/or worked with Apple to resolve issues.

Colbar
Aspirant
Aspirant

ARLO Any update on this ongoing issue experienced by users worldwide

Perhaps it’s time to start a Class Action

Clearly the Arlo device is no longer fit for purpose 

If Arlo don’t have an answer common courtesy would be to inform the community Of the Timeline to resolve and update there customer base weekly

Rwf3820
Guide
Guide
System worked fine yesterday set/reset but today didn’t do it had to do it manually so frustrating have Arlo got their heads up their arses because they don’t seem to be doing anything about it
MSonger
Aspirant
Aspirant

One camera is working and the other 2 says no internet connection just started 

LoneZwolf2
Apprentice
Apprentice
There’s news and bad news.

The news is that I noticed a change in the behavior of the system this morning.

The bad news is that it took a turn for the worse.

I have my geofencing “Home” mode set to “Schedule” so that my cameras are armed at night while asleep. It’s worked fine for months. When I let my dog out this morning, my notifications went off showing motion detected.

I check the app and the schedule, as always, is set to end at 5am. Well, it’s 6am here and my system is “Armed”. So now it is ignoring the schedule too? I had to manually “Disarm” and then set back to “Geofencing” and then it set itself back to “Home” mode.

Anyone else notice this?
Boomer_1
Apprentice
Apprentice

I saw the exact same thing. It is as if they disabled the schedule function and made You either armed or disarmed.