Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Elmar2001
Star
Star

Please move to old Firmware and App as soon as possible and make the system work again. A security system that does not work any more after an update is really crap.

You forced me and the community to move to the new app and renewed the firmware of the base station. Now the geofencing is not working any more. It says repeatedly, that the connection to the base station and internet is lost. When I am arriving at home, Arlo does not detect me any more.

Before the system run fine for a long time without problems. So do the customer a favor and go back and give him back a functional system. Immediately.

Thanks. Sorry, I am really angry, because I bought the system for security reasons and spend a lot of money and now it is not working. 

257 REPLIES 257
wenklaw0042
Guide
Guide
So I originally switched from IFTTT triggers due to the constant failures to the native geo fencing which also doesn’t work. I then think I will try Alexa to trigger my Arlo light.......guess what, that doesn’t work either!

What a pile of junk. I am now going to email the people that review these cameras like Engadget and PCmag as they always give them great marks, little do they know and hopefully they will take note and listen and take into consideration. Plus Arlo May finally listen if they start to get hammered online by the critics.
parsrgood
Apprentice
Apprentice

@wenklaw0042 

Good idea. Mention in your email what version camera and base you are using. They are reviewing new products and it's very likely that their last review was before Arlo botched up their firmware and apps. So mention also about Arlo's faulty updates. I have in addition to contacting Cnet and consumer reports have left negative reviews at Amazon etc. and filed complaints to the BBB and the California Attorney Generals office. It is amazing that a company as big as Arlo does not stand behind their product and leaves those who purchase their security systems in the dark.

pierrejwk
Tutor
Tutor
I just spoke to the support, and there is no fix at the moment. They keep telling me to change radius, uninstall, install etc.

Bit the problem keeps occuring, **bleep**ty support and tech-team. The IOS 13 betas has been out for a long time, disappointmen at its finest!!
Rwf3820
Guide
Guide

No fix for it yet obviously been put on the back burner, I won’t hold my breath for it to be sorted any time soon

02redcavi
Guide
Guide
I have the same exact issue with geofencing no arming disarming properly and working half the time until I open the app. Also getting the internet connection issue. I really regret buying this system as there are soo many problems. The sad this is we pay extra for the premium.
sh4ido
Aspirant
Aspirant

does iOS 13.2.2 resolve the problem?

LoneZwolf2
Apprentice
Apprentice
Not sure. I will download and install before leaving for work and post results.
Rwf3820
Guide
Guide
Not for me still will not set
LoneZwolf2
Apprentice
Apprentice
Nope. Still doesn’t work.

Frustration growing by the day.
horhammh
Tutor
Tutor
As this issue seems not to be of great importance for Netgear I finally decided to change to another security system, to a brand that actually cares. Goodbye Netgear.
parsrgood
Apprentice
Apprentice

@horhammh 

Netgear and Arlo split about a year ago. That’s when a lot of issues started showing up with their security systems. It’s a shame. Some think it might even be a crime that they leave their customers in the dark as whether they will ever fix their crippled product. 

horhammh
Tutor
Tutor
Thank you for correcting me. I barked at the wrong tree as Netgear seems not to be blamed. I apologize Netgear! But Arlo (or the owner company of Arlo) should be ashamed. I do understand that loosing one customer (me) doesn’t affect them much, but this being an ongoing issue I find it hard to believe that I will be the only user looking for other options. An unusable security system is like not having it at all.
parsrgood
Apprentice
Apprentice

@horhammh 

I completely agree, and I have replaced my cameras with ones that actually provide peace of mind and security. With that said I have spent $1000 on Arlo’s version of a security system that amounts to nothing more than decoy cameras. I will keep warning people to be wary of Arlo’s products until they fix this mess. 

NDDLKevin
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've been experiencing the exact same issue

sh4ido
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes me too 😞 I’m very disappointed with Netgear!
jpottaway
Apprentice
Apprentice
@horhammh
@parsrgood

Yeah since the split Arlo has done poorly. Tech IPOs generally go up. Got clobbered -18% just yesterday. Switch to 1Y as well.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=arlo+stock&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#mie=l,/g/11f7...
sh4ido
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’m seriously looking for something else.. I’m thinking to give these camera back to amazon and buy something different.. They (Arlo) have no idea about how to solve these geofencing problems with iOS 13.. It’s unacceptable!
JeremyCeulemans
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same for me
JeremyCeulemans
Aspirant
Aspirant
Please, let’s all go on the App Store and rate the app to 1 star!
sh4ido
Aspirant
Aspirant
Done! 1 star on the app store is the only way
jbrown111
Aspirant
Aspirant

This issue arose on the change from the old Arlo "legacy" app to the new one, not when moving to ios 13.  I am the main user and I have granted access to my wife. I have done all the usual nonsense (delete my wife's profile and add her back in; disable and then later enable her mobile device; reset the base station; swear, etc.)  My wife still gets that irritating "Internet connection is lost. Geofencing in Arlo is unavailable..." so that Arlo does not change its status when she leaves home or returns. I do not get that message on my own phone.

Those who have not head their memories voluntarily wiped will remember that there was a similar problem with geofencing that went on for months. It got resolved in the spring or summer a couple of months before they moved from the "legacy" Arlo app to the new one.  That is when we started having trouble again. As I recall, the fix had nothing to do with the app itself (which is not to say that the fix that is required now is not software related).

We have Arlo Pro, using 2.10. ios has now been updated to the most recent update (13.2.2), but it has not improved. I have an iphone X and my wife has iphone Xr.

The problem with Arlo customer service is that they keep things silent, other than saying once every couple of weeks that we are working on a fix. If you have experience with customer service, you should understand that this type of response drives people crazy. People can understand that sometimes software stops working, but they cannot understand why they are so secretive about it. For example, something like "We understand your concerns. We believe that the source of the problem is (app, ios, God), and we hope to have a fix within (X days/weeks/months/years/centuries). We will provide you with an update within 48 hours." People want to hear that their concerns are being addressed, communicate the possible issues, and provide a timeline, and then follow up once that timeline has been reached if the problem is still not resolved. 

So, assuming that this is read by Arlo support, can you provide a response along the lines outlined above? Honestly, it's not hard. 

-S-
Tutor
Tutor
Very well said. I’m wondering if anyone has retained The legacy app and can confirm that geofencing still works with it in combination with iOS 13 ?
Rwf3820
Guide
Guide
Tried that geo fencing does not work on that it pushes you back to the new app
Boomer_1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Folks, I was able to open a ticket last week with Level 2. They informed me they were already working with Engineering and have been for a couple of weeks. They asked me to send them some logs off my iPhone when the problem occurred.  I have sent several logs since it fails everytime it tries to arm. We have 2 iPhones. Mine fails with one of two symptoms. It either will not arm until you open the secondary iPhone or you get a message, usually on the primary phone that "internet connection is lost; geofencing is not currently working".  One of these has occurred everytime since about mid October, shortly after I upgraded to IOS13.  Yesterday they called me and said Engineering was requesting that I upgrade to IOS 13.2.2, which came out last Thursday. I generally like to wait a few days to see if anyone is having major problems before I do these IOS upgrades. In any case here are some of the problem descriptions with this update:

- Fixes an issue that could cause apps to quit unexpectedly when running in the background
- Resolves an issue where iPhone may temporarily lose cellular service after a call
- Addresses an issue where cellular data may temporarily not be available

Since these issues look very similar to the problems we are seeing, I updated both of our phones this morning. We only left twice today, but in both cases geofencing worked the way it is supposed to. I advised them that I wanted to test the rest of the week before I would consider the case resolved. However, since it has not worked one time for me since mid-October  and has worked three times in a row is a good sign.

I would suggest for those of you running IOS 13 to consider updating to IOS 13.2.2. After the update, power cycle your phone and give it about an hour before you test it to allow background IOS update processes to finish.

Rwf3820
Guide
Guide
I up dated to 13.2.2 last week it still does not work why are they relying on apple engineers with their upgrades to solve their problem