Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Elmar2001
Star
Star

Please move to old Firmware and App as soon as possible and make the system work again. A security system that does not work any more after an update is really crap.

You forced me and the community to move to the new app and renewed the firmware of the base station. Now the geofencing is not working any more. It says repeatedly, that the connection to the base station and internet is lost. When I am arriving at home, Arlo does not detect me any more.

Before the system run fine for a long time without problems. So do the customer a favor and go back and give him back a functional system. Immediately.

Thanks. Sorry, I am really angry, because I bought the system for security reasons and spend a lot of money and now it is not working. 

257 REPLIES 257
Rwf3820
Guide
Guide
My app still show internet connection lost how ever I don’t have to arm it if I just open the Arlo app it then arms itself don’t have to touch anything else
SeeThruHead
Initiate
Initiate

This is still happening with the full release of iOS 13. Please see the other threads about this. Essentially geofencing is useless. Making your whole camera system useless! Please update us with a proper fix timeline!

LoneZwolf2
Apprentice
Apprentice
Sort of worked for me this morning but I’m skeptical. My phone didn’t notify me at the usual spot when I leave the geofence area. But I took my phone out of sleep while stuck in traffic and then for the first time in a while the “Arlo is now in Away Mode” message appeared.

I’ll keep an eye on it over the next several days. Not sure if it’s related but I restarted my phone just in case anything with the app update needed to stick.
-S-
Tutor
Tutor
Methinks we may be approaching this the wrong way. We are whining in an Arlo forum and so the bad publicity is reaching, well, Arlo users (/victims). What about a bit of buzz ? Insta, FB, insert favourite social network here, with a description or even better a photo of what to do with your useless devices. Bookends ? Doorstops ? Snowman anuses ? #arlorecycle #geolocfail. Maybe that will draw some attention
LoneZwolf2
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have been communicating with them on Twitter. Their social media account there is pretty responsive actually. Nice to see.
Rwf3820
Guide
Guide

Don’t do Twitter so what are they saying are they pulling their finger out or leaving us in limbo

LoneZwolf2
Apprentice
Apprentice
They are responding, so that’s a plus. They confirmed this issue, so that’s a plus. Then they proactively told me that 2.10 would fix this issue, that was a plus.

It worked for me this morning, for the first time, but I’m also seeing that for some it hasn’t so we shall see.

Either way I will update this thread with my findings and continue engaging with them on Twitter.
BobB-ArloPro2
Guide
Guide

If they think 2.10 fixes this issue, then they are mistaken.  I have 2.10 (1478), released on 10/18/2019, and the problem still exists. I sure hope they are not sitting on their hands thinking the problem is resolved.

LoneZwolf2
Apprentice
Apprentice
It worked for me but I did a phone restart. I will test again when I get home. No idea if the restart did anything or it was just dumb luck yet. Time and reps will tell.
zeker2001
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks to everyone who commented on my original post.

Now an update to that:  I did follow the suggestions to delete/remove all of my devices from myarlo page.

Following that, I did a number of resets on my base stations.  It finally worked (could be operator error, not holding reset pin in, long enough) but could not reinstall my base onto myarlo.  I finally accessed my router and deleted the device from it, reset the router and reset my base again. Then, with a flashing amber light, myarlo allowed me to install/add the base again.  After that, adding the cameras back on, was easy.

So, if still having trouble, maybe try removing the device(s) from your router, then reset the base.

Good luck everyone!

jpottaway
Apprentice
Apprentice
All the tips are great. Thanks.

However the core problem is not addressed. It resides entirely on the app itself and it’s ability to interact with the phone services, specifically location, background execution and connectivity. As a programmer myself I suspect what has happened is that the combination of the “new” app and iOS13 has left legacy (now) incompatible code in play. And because Arlos development department seem pretty inept this was not caught during the extensive beta program. Just on Location Services I know there has been a major API change in 13. The BackgroundTasks framework was also changed heavily in 13. That is also something Arlo rely on.

A quick Google to developer sources will show these changes were not only documented by Apple but devs have written articles as early as July illustrating how to update you apps.
LoneZwolf2
Apprentice
Apprentice
Ok, I can confirm the 2.10 update did not resolve the issue. Came home from work and the system did not disarm upon arriving within the geofence zone. I had to open the app again in order for it to go back to Home mode. An Arlo rep did reach out to me via DM though and i provided them with data logs.

Hope this helps resolve this issue.
Rwf3820
Guide
Guide

Right this morning I reset the system from within the app went for a walk and the geo fencing worked it set when I left the area and went back to home mode on re entering but this has happened to me once before when out walking but then didn’t activate when I left the areA in a car for some reason will try later

Rwf3820
Guide
Guide
Further to my last went out in the car and it logged me out and logged me back so watch this space
LoneZwolf2
Apprentice
Apprentice
Ok second day in a row it went to Away mode on its own but one difference for me from before is that it would go into Away mode and notify me on its own. But now, I just had to wake up my phone (not even unlock it) after leaving my zone and only then did the notification appear.

Also, my system yesterday did not correctly set back to Home mode when I got home from work. I had to open the app in order for it to go back to Home mode.
Rwf3820
Guide
Guide
That’s what’s it’s been doing to me since I was forced to switch apps today is the first day it’s done what it should do without any prompting
LoneZwolf2
Apprentice
Apprentice
Well, got home from work and it still did not disarm the system. All my cameras went off again. And now? A new issue.

Since my cameras went off upon arriving home, I went to my library to delete the clips of myself entering my garage. Only to receive this error message:

“There was an error obtaining your library. Arlo team is working on this issue.”

My patience is wearing thin.
Rwf3820
Guide
Guide
Went out in the car this morning second day running it armed itself on leaving geofencing area just finding that on return it disarms itself but only when I park on the drive but hay oh it’s working the only thing I have done is to reset the system from within the app it self
Hareluya
Guide
Guide

Still experiencing the same issue - someone who practise in law should lodge a class action. What's the point of having a security camera system that disarms itself...?

wenklaw0042
Guide
Guide

It had seemed to have been better but once again this morning I get the 'internet connection lost' message and the cameras haven't armed.  I open the app up and it goes into away mode and arms

Frankly rubbish, week and weeks of this now.

wenklaw0042
Guide
Guide
So it also appears that the app isn’t reflecting the true status of the cameras either. It was stating a certain camera was armed when it shouldn’t have been, but it wasn’t actually armed! I have zero faith anymore and am off to buy something else.
I am also going to claim a charge back on my AMEX.

Absolute joke.
Maccca
Tutor
Tutor
Arlo are so frustrating, geofencing still not fixed and today one of my cameras keeps going offline, keep reconnecting but goes offline we you try and access the stream.

Support are condescending, yes I have already tried deleting and reconnecting, yes I have tried taking the battery out for 20 seconds yet they insist on doing this all over again. Why cant you just build a product that works?

Also tried to reach out on Twitter which was no help at all, no acknowledgement of the issue and a generic support article. No idea how they are maintaining a 4.4 star rating on the app store so many 1 star reviews.

Hi - If you're experiencing issues with Geofencing, this article offers tips to optimize your geofencing setup for the best performance: https://kb.arlo.com/000062271/Why-isn-t-the-Geofencing-mode-working. If you're still experiencing issues, please contact Arlo Support: https://arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx. Thank you! ^RM
RedDevilzx10
Initiate
Initiate
What’s the point and saying refer to support if you are still having an issue when you haven’t provided and resolution to anyone with the same issue. So pathetic!! I’ve opened a ticket with screenshots and everything. Same issues everyone is explaining with geo fence not changing when going or coming until you open the app.

FIX THE PROBLEM AND QUIT IGNORING IT!!
unclev
Star
Star

Yes, It is an app issue that is affecting wifi not cellular use.  This company should be ashamed of themselves.  If anybody knows the Arlo history of releasing news versions of the app. This is no different. That had a major issue a while back that took almost a year to fix. Good luck with this one. I still can't believe people actually buy this unstable junk. Why not get a stable app and cameras that actually work. That would be NEST!

Mrlong3
Aspirant
Aspirant
The new app update has broken geofencing for my wife and I and will no longer accurately show both of our “inside zone” or “out of zone” statuses for the geofencing feature. As such the cameras will not trigger when they are supposed to.

We have tried:
-restarting cameras
-uninstalling and reinstalling the apps
-removing both devices from the account
-adjusting the address of our house in the geofencing settings

I will sometimes get a notification that arlo has lost connectivity, and when I open the app from that notification, it will sometimes update the geofencing data and will alert me that the status has changed from home/away, but that is only sometimes.

Please help!