Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 146 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
R_espinoza23
Follower
Follower
I have a 6 camera setup with one base station. Currently use 50MB internet at 250GB usage capacity and I work from home. How much internet usage does each camera use and when is it used? Is it used when I stream from the iPhone ARLO app? And is it using data when recording too?
8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

R_espinoza23 wrote:
I have a 6 camera setup with one base station. Currently use 50MB internet at 250GB usage capacity and I work from home. How much internet usage does each camera use and when is it used? Is it used when I stream from the iPhone ARLO app? And is it using data when recording too?

Each 10 seconds of video ( on best quality ) is about 1 meg of storage ( the lower levels slightly less ). You can multiply the numbers to find how much storage you'll used base on current videos you have.

(** btw, max of 4 cameras streaming at the same time per base unit )

If your asking about phone data... all streaming/recording is using phone data ( unless on wifi )

As to storage capacity;

I've run many cameras for a while and the most I was able to accumulate at one time was about 2GB, ( I was trying to fill it up for testing )

... remember that 1gb is 1000 - 10 second videos. I don't think you will have a storage problem at all... Also you can download to local any videos you want to save.

When streaming live but NOT recording, it does not effect your storage ... if you are recording that will go to your total amount.  Anyvideos you delete will give you back the amount of same to your storage... Also as a side note.. the recycle bin holds your videos for about 7 days and then auto deletes just in case you want to retrieve them back.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

R_espinoza23 wrote:

If I understand correctly you're wondering how much data is used due to Arlo recording and viewing, correct?  If so, the typical video I've been recording on Best Quality has been around 2.5-5MB (night B&W vs day color).  The video is uploaded to the servers and then is downloaded/streamed for viewing. So, that would be ~5MB to have the video available in the first place and then 5MB to view it.  250GB per month should be plenty unless you stream other stuff a lot.  I watch virtually every video, meaning ~45 minutes worth of upload and download per day.  At 5MB per video, that would be 450MB total data per day.  Lower the quality, record fewer videos and data usage drops.  Even with my usage, you're still only at ~15GB per month data usage.

Of course, YMMV...

SBID
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I have same question and some replies not clear.

requote:

"I have a 3 cameras setup with one base station. Currently use 4G LTE network at 7GB DATA usage capacity and I work from site construction projects. How much internet data usage does each camera use and when is it used? Is it used when I stream from the iPhone ARLO app? And is it using data when recording too?"

If there is no recording and only Livestream from iphone ARLO app, does it takes my DATA capacity?

Appreciate your response at the earliest.

Many Thanks.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

SBID wrote:

If there is no recording and only Livestream from iphone ARLO app, does it takes my DATA capacity?

Appreciate your response at the earliest.

If your viewing live, you using DATA !   The data goes from cam to arlo base to their servers and back to you if recording or not.

Prob the same amount of data either way. A ten sec vid is +/-  1mb so for each 10 seconds you watch , its 2 Mb data usage.

Morse is faster than texting!
Mikeg333
Initiate
Initiate
Thank u all for the feedback. Just setup new 4 camera system and have been watching cameras as I learn the system, app etc. mostly while on Wifi but some off of LTE. I will make sure to stop or reduce how much I watch on LTE, since we are always close to our limit as it is. Thanks again.
fishfood
Aspirant
Aspirant

fishfood
Aspirant
Aspirant
does it use data if the cameras are not sensing motion or does the fact that there is always an internet connection cause it to use data?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't know absolutely but it appears that no data is being passed as long as no viewing or recording is going on. There may be some minimal heartbeat stuff going on (the Internet LED can go Amber with loss of connectivity with the servers) but your email client likely uses a lot more data checking for new mail.