Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Installation tip to "decrease" startup lag

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First I know I'e posted this before, but wanted to again so new users would see this.

There is a start up lag between the trigger event of the PIR and the recording... Mine tends to be very short, =<2 sec, but some get longer which can cause problems of missing the subject wanted.

There is a way to APPEAR to make the camera record quicker as follows;

Aim the camera at the location wanted.

Go to pan/zoom, and shrink the picture about 15%-20%max. Move the cropped area away from the entry point if there is one.

Readjust the camera to recapture location, follow angle down advice elsewhere posted.

The camera should now record with a shorter delay time.

It works because on the ARLO cameras, the PIR detects motion for the entire field of view seen. Even tho you have shrunken the picture the PIR covers all.

Now when a subject enters the PIR field of view ( but not the cropped picture yet ) the trigger event happens. So the recording starts a bit before the subject is actually seen and has the apperance of a quicker record start.

Hope this makes sense, question feel free.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
3 REPLIES 3
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

TomMac wrote:

Go to pan/zoom, and shrink the picture about 15%-20%max. Move the cropped area away from the entry point if there is one.

Readjust the camera to recapture location, follow angle down advice elsewhere posted.

I know you've posted this advice before, but I can't really see the benefit in it. To me it appears to be a hack to try to silence the complaints about the undeniable lag that the Arlo Wirefree cameras are riddled with.

The hack doesn't actually enhance the reaction time or reduce the lag in any way. It just makes it seem that way: an illusion, no more.

In fact, if there is so much lag in a particular camera (or system) that an object is typically recorded when it has already passed the center of the frame, then you might run the risk of not recording your object at all, if it has already moved out of the cropped field of view, that - if configured with an uncropped field of view - could still have been caught.

So, I think your advice, although well-intentioned, isn't helpful, as it could, in a worst-case scenario, be the cause of missing crucial footage that could otherwise - if left unmodified - still be caught.

Arlo clearly could be enhanced by buffering the footage of its Wirefree cameras to local storage, eliminating the cloud-connection lag. Another option would be separate motion sensors. These suggestions have been made before and are present in the Arlo Idea Exchange.

If only Netgear would pick up on these clues and market hardware with these features. Arlo would be a killer-system.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Schorschi wrote:

TomMac wrote:

I know you've posted this advice before, but I can't really see the benefit in it. To me it appears to be a hack to try to silence the complaints about the undeniable lag that the Arlo Wirefree cameras are riddled with.

The hack doesn't actually enhance the reaction time or reduce the lag in any way. It just makes it seem that way: an illusion, no more.

Yes, It is a fix... and I do state APPEAR to make the camera respond better.

Sure, I would like the lag not to be there and or separate sensors also to eliminate the problem... But it is what it is at this time and quite a few times this does work.

Also this isn't going to work in all location but does work well in a smaller view/access area

Morse is faster than texting!
JoeDeal
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your article. Can you help me with some terminology? Below is your sentence from the article for reference.

"Readjust the camera to recapture location, follow angle down advice elsewhere posted."

1. By readjust camerato recapture location, do you mean to physically reposition the camera on its' base so that the reduced field of view captures the desired area?

2. I'm having difficulty locating "angle down advice" posted elsewhere. If it's too long to add to your response, can you tell me where I can find it?

Thank you very much for any help you can give.

JoeDeal