Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Indoor installed cameras and seeing out of windows

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Liljazzy1082
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does anyone have issues seeing clearly at night outside with cameras installed on the inside facing the windows outside?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Liljazzy1082
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes my issue is solved .. all I had to do was to turn the night vision off in my settings and now I can see clear through my camera while it’s facing out my window from the inside

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's likely the IR LEDs reflecting on the window. Motion detection doesn't work through a window in the first place and the use of night vision just causes glare. Mount the camera outdoors as intended.

Liljazzy1082
Aspirant
Aspirant
Okay thanks , but I live in a apartment and I’m not able to drill holes on the outside of their property. Anyone have any ideas that would work .. wondering if a glare film would work
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Many of the 3m double stick molding tape and Command strips work well if area cleaned prior to install of mount...

( have one up outside for over a yr now )

Stick right to outside of window.

Use a tether to the camera just in case. ( simple string and threaded bolt into cam mount hole ( 1/4-20 thread ))

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Liljazzy1082
Aspirant
Aspirant
Liljazzy1082
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes my issue is solved .. all I had to do was to turn the night vision off in my settings and now I can see clear through my camera while it’s facing out my window from the inside
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Liljazzy1082 wrote:

The IR lights used with Nightvision will reflect off the glass - which gets in the way.

You'll also find that motion detection doesn't work that well through the window (particularly if the camera is battery powered).  Attaching it to the outside of the window is the way to solve that issue.