Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
jayats
Aspirant
Aspirant

I installed the camera in my door - I have a 2" peephole but the arlo is unable to see down a lit hallway and the IR lights activate bouncing off the glass so all I see is a reflection of the camera.  I would like to be able to turn IR lights off so the camera is usable - I think I'll just return it.  Ugh....

5 REPLIES 5
KristynM
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hello @jayats,

The motion senor used in our cameras detects changes in hear. Movement of heat through glass is limited due to the glass being insulated in most homes today.

If you are attempting to detect motion outside, we recommend placing the cameras outdoors. You could mount your cameras outdoors if you would like.

Please visit our Arlo Idea Exchange community and share your suggestions and ideas with us.

ARLO IDEA EXCHANGE

Here is another link that is in relation to what you are experiencing. Be sure to kudo the current idea posted on

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/A-fix-for-window-reflection-at-night/idi-p/1329

Regards,
KristynM
Arlo Support Team
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

jayats wrote:

I installed the camera in my door - I have a 2" peephole but the arlo is unable to see down a lit hallway and the IR lights activate bouncing off the glass so all I see is a reflection of the camera.  I would like to be able to turn IR lights off so the camera is usable - I think I'll just return it.  Ugh....

As already mentioned, you will have to install your camera outside. Or you may want to consider a slightly different product. Skybell is a doorbell with an integrated camera.

jayats
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the advice - the support for SKYBELL is awful - most of thier pages give you 404 errors and their support is only good until 3:30 ET.  I went with Ring.com- connects to the existing doorbell circuit, in this case I am using my indoor intercom circuit to patch it in.  It is un-obtrusive and they wiil replace it if it is stolen - for free.  Much better options for me.  Thanks for giving me the inclination to continue my search!!!

R_Lowe
Luminary
Luminary

jayats wrote:

The same (or similar) thing happens with one of my Dropcams - but only at night (so not sure if it's heat-related).  It can view things fine in the daytime, but at night (mounted inside but looking out a window), only lights of cars passing in my cul-de-sac can be seen; otherwise I get a reflection of a ring of lights from the camera (kind of weird).  IN ANY EVENT, this is also why I bought my Arlo 4-pack, so I could mount them outside.  And voila!  The area is lit up almost like daylight (pretty darn cool)!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The same (or similar) thing happens with one of my Dropcams - but only at night (so not sure if it's heat-related).  It can view things fine in the daytime, but at night (mounted inside but looking out a window),

Both dropcam and Arlo switch over to night mode when dark enough... that also turns on the IR illuminators.

Not heat related ( btw they don't sense heat but IR ), its just a light reflection that the camera can pick up.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------