Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Altahoe
Follower
Follower

"We are unable to clam this device"  What a joke.  Brand new/ just arrived from Amazon and your online chat guy is more interested in treated me like I stole it.  After some time copy/pasting the Amazon receipt, he needed a different document.  Then he needed more proof of pruchase.  What kind of BS is this for a new item just out of the box?  This turned into a headache that wouldn't stop. You can keep your crap 5 camera security system. It's on it's way back to you via Amazon.  Your company can rebox it and sell it to another idiot!  Crap customer service.  I just wanted it to work, that's all. 

Joadel P (chat man or girl)

or You may follow the steps below to attach files to the case:

1. Log into the my.netgear.com Portal.
2. Click the "Attach Files to Support Case" option located in right side Menu.
3. Select from Drop down "My Open Cases" the Case# 26825893 to which you would attach the file.
4. Click "Select" button and select the file and it will be uploaded.

Files accepted are PDF, JPG, GIF, PNG, DOC, ZIP. Maximum Size allowed is 30MB.

5. Submit

1:42:42 PM
Me

I'll do one better. I'll box this up and get my money back. Thanks so much for making this so quick and easy. What kind of product are you trying to sell when it's new out of the box and can't be registered. What a bunch of crap!

4 REPLIES 4
brh
Master
Master

Sorry you had so much trouble with your new system, but Arlo is a great system. I have two thoughts here:

1) There have been times when I have purchased items through Amazon where I suspected, (but could not prove), that the items, although packaged looking like new, seemed to be returns. With Amazon dealing with so many stores, it is impossible for them to police the integrity of all the stores they serve. I think you did the right thing - but don't give up on Arlo.

2) I know you are angry now, but since each Arlo device has a serial number, the odds are that someone before you registered this system with Arlo and set up an account with them. Kudos to Arlo for trying to prevent the sale and reuse of possibly store returns or stolen items. If you are the owner of a registered Arlo product, you would appreciate this.

I hope you don't give up on Arlo and things go better for you next time

Brian

manfredz
Hero
Hero

In Jan I bought a cam system from Best Buy Canada that was sold as a refurbished system but was still registered to previous owner.

Netgear was very cooperative in helping, and once I emailed them the invoice, cleared it so I could register it.

Since Best Buy clearly identified it as refurbished, I knew it had had a previous owner and wasn't brand new.

The inconvenience was minor, with great help from Netgear.  I thought of it this way, if someone had stolen mine, I'd appreciate this feature.

Mind you, if I recall right this only helpsif the base station is stolen, since a stolen camera can be registered to another base station ( someone correct me if I'm wrong there)

brh
Master
Master

This is a great question and it would be nice if Arlo would elaborate a little more on how this works. Here is my understanding of how it works:

Each base station and each camera has a unique serial number and they are linked to your Arlo Account. Therefore, if someone stole your camera and you did not remove it from your account the thief would not be able to set it up on another account. (This could be a problem as if you added more cameras to replace the ones that were stolen, you might have to upgrade your subscription. Hopefully the cameras would be flagged by Arlo support and you could add back new cameras with no more expense and the cameras would be listed as inactive although still listed in your account. Now if you removed the stolen cameras from your account, the thief might be able to use them).

If the whole system is stolen, the thief would still have a problem using them as he/she would need to have your Login Name and Password to set them up on a different wi-fi and view the settings, etc. in the IDE or app. 

This is where, as sugested in other threads it would be nice for Arlo to have a place in the IDE to list devices as stolen or transferred (require the Username and Password of the new recipient, to prevent the hassle you went through. 

I do understand on a store return that Arlo would need to verify your purchase if the item had been registered to a previous owner.

Hoping to hear from Arlo Support on this one,

Brian

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Altahoe,

I apologize for the poor experience. I can confirm the error being discussed here indicates that the device is currently claimed on another account. The process requiring proof of purchase used by support is to ensure the device was not stolen.

It sounds like this could have been a returned/refurbished device sold by Amazon. Did the seller indicate anything that might suggest this? With a brand new system, this error will not occur.

JamesC