Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Resuna
Guide
Guide

I do not install Flash because it's been an ongoing source of security problems for decades. There are very few sites that actually depend on it any more, so it hasn't been an issue... until I bought an Arlo kit.

Seriously, a security application requires flash? Why is this a thing?

Do you have any plans to go to regular streaming video?

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Eventually the Arlo's will go over to HTML5....but who knows when.

Flash could be around for a number of more years, haven't heard/read any rumors on it.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Resuna
Guide
Guide

Well, botheration. I guess I'll have to keep switching between the browser and mobile apps while configuring stuff.

Speaking of which, is there any change they'll quit restricting us to a single login session? Having to re-login every time I switch is super-annoying.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

No .. prob not... only one primary holder logged in at a time

Tho a work around is to use a second account and 'share' the cameras to the second account.   Then you can be logged in on both devices ( tho the shared account only has about 90% of the admn control  )

Morse is faster than texting!
Resuna
Guide
Guide

WHY is "single login" a rule? It doesn't improve security, it reduces it by increasing the number of times the password is presented. I'm really not impressed by the "security" of this security system. I wish I'd found out before I sunk the better part of $1000 in it.

silanah
Apprentice
Apprentice

You have discovered the Achilles heel.  Relying upon inherently insecure Flash makes Arlo web sites and viewing recordings ironically insecure.

HTML5 has been around long enough. Given Netgear/Arlo's propensity to hold out a carrot at the end of very long stick that never gets any closer, I would suggest to you that HTML5 will never happen until after they experience a security breach disaster as their investments seem to focus on small feature updates wrapped in new hardware to garner more dollars. Adequate support and website/software developement to improve security seem a distant second and third. 

If security is a concern, return the product and try something else.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Or use the app?