Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How to install 2nd base station for better signal?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
A339136
Follower
Follower
Hi is it possible to install a 2nd base station for better signal strength? I have the 4 camera wire free and also bought another single camera which also came with its own base. Do these bases have to be wired into a router or can thry work standalone in the wifi? My signal is a little weak in the back of my apt. Also I am already using a nighthawk ac3200.
2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, you can use a second base station.  You set it up like it's a new install - add the base to your account, remove the camera(s) from the first base in Settings, My Devices, and add it to the second base.  Note that you won't be able to add the new setup into any rules from the first - they're now separate so new modes, rules and schedule will be needed.

The second base will still have to connect to the router via Ethernet although you could use a WiFi extender with an Ethernet port to minimize wiring and maximize the base positioning.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

A339136 wrote:
Hi is it possible to install a 2nd base station for better signal strength? I have the 4 camera wire free and also bought another single camera which also came with its own base. Do these bases have to be wired into a router or can thry work standalone in the wifi? My signal is a little weak in the back of my apt. Also I am already using a nighthawk ac3200.

Yes you can add a second base to improve range... that's the part of the concept  ( and there's no limit on bases ...also they Don't have to be even at the same location ). The bases DO NOT work via wifi but need an ethernet port.

In your case there are two easy ways to add a second base ( using add a device btw )

1) run and ethernet cable up to 300ft to the second location and plug the second base in

2) use a wifi extender with an ethernet port and then plug in the second base there.

Once you add the second base, transfer the closest cameras over to that base for best reception/signal strength  ( you can only sync a camera to ONE base at a time )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------