Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How to have continuous Recording at Night?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
coast2
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have two old Arlo first generation wireless cameras. They do not pick up motion at night unless someone is almost directly in front of the cameras. Is there a way to have them record continuously, preferably for a set time at night? I'd be willing to pay for a plan if necessary.  

Also, I'd like to add 3 more cameras (so as to have 2 outdoors and 3 inside), and would like recommendations. I don't need audio, sirens, or spotlights. I would like decent video quality at night, and  continuous recording (preferably at set times).

I would really love is to have the additional 3 cameras with "Invisible IR" so that there are no red lights. The lights really limit where I can place the cameras. I am having trouble with my ex-husband (who is retired law enforcement) trying to break in at night. He has experience setting up security systems and knows what to look for, so the red lights are a big problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
coast2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply and for providing the information. I'm in a warm climate, so clothing is very light this time of year. Tweaking the location and position of these cameras helps, but they still miss quite a bit. I ordered additional cameras that can record continuously. That will be more trouble to maintain, but worth it to me. Thanks again!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
coast2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Wanted to mention also that the cameras used for indoors do not necessarily have to be wireless. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Q cameras are indoors only and require AC power to work. They connect with WiFi unless you go for the Q Plus which can also use Ethernet.

For the cameras not picking up at night, remember that these cameras use IR detection. Heavier clothing, etc. can block the IR emitted from a subject so create a custom mode for nighttime that uses increased sensitivity for the cameras. Read the FAQs here on custom modes if unsure how to do this.

You can't record continuously with the original wireless cameras since no AC power is possible. You can do this with the Pro series cameras if AC powered and you subscribe to CVR.

coast2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply and for providing the information. I'm in a warm climate, so clothing is very light this time of year. Tweaking the location and position of these cameras helps, but they still miss quite a bit. I ordered additional cameras that can record continuously. That will be more trouble to maintain, but worth it to me. Thanks again!