Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How to arm and disarm one camera only based on geofencing and schedule?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Delpy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I would like to disarm one camera only based on geofencing and a time schedule for when I am at home. I can't see how to accomplish this based on both criteria.

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Delpy wrote:
I would like to disarm one camera only based on geofencing and a time schedule for when I am at home. I can't see how to accomplish this based on both criteria.

First create a custom mode that had the other cameras armed.  https://kb.arlo.com/42/What-are-modes-and-rules-and-how-does-Arlo-use-them

Then  set up Schedule to use that mode for the hours you want that camera disarmed.

Finally, set up geofencing to use the normal ARMED mode when you are away, and to use Schedule when you are home. 

Delpy
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you for the reply. I think it is the first step here that has me stumped. I have four options for creating a mode: arm, disarm, schedule, geofencing. Which am I using for the first step? It seems like the only options there are trigger recording that I can check or uncheck but if it is unchecked I can't proceed to create the mode. Would you possibly be able to share screenshots of the steps? I understand how to use the app to do what you are suggesting but it doesn't seem to be configurable. I have three cameras and I'm trying to do this only with the one camera because it does a lot of work while we are out in the yard in the evening and ends up chewing through battery's about once every two weeks.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Delpy wrote:
I think it is the first step here that has me stumped. I have four options for creating a mode: arm, disarm, schedule, geofencing.

No.  You want to create a new mode, not edit one of the existing modes.

Personally I think it's easier to do this in my.arlo.com in a PC browser.  Select the mode icon from the main screen, and then click "add a mode" at the bottom.  You can name the mode anything you like.

Then add rules for your other two cameras (matching what you see in armed), and leave the problem camera out altogether.

Delpy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for this. Indeed it was easier to deal with the modes on the browser. I have set up each of the elements independently. I cannot see how I can have a mode activated based on geofencing that also only operates on a schedule. It seems I am only able to select one or the other. Is it possible to see screenshots of these steps?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Delpy wrote:

I cannot see how I can have a mode activated based on geofencing that also only operates on a schedule. It seems I am only able to select one or the other. Is it possible to see screenshots of these steps?

Start by creating the schedule.  Again, I suggest using the browser interface.  Used armed for the times you want all cameras active, and your custom mode the rest of the times.  Note you can't span over midnight.  So if you want armed from (for example) 9 pm to 7 am, then you'd need to set up armed from 9 pm to 11:59 pm, and again from 12 am to 7 am.  You'll still get continuous coverage over the 1 minute gap.

After that, set up the HOME and AWAY modes in geofencing.  Set HOME to "schedule" and AWAY to "armed".  The net effect of the combination is that your custom mode will be used (a) when you are home and (b) during the hours you set in the schedule.  All other times, the system will be in the armed mode.

Note some folks have recently had problems with geofencing - Arlo is investigating.  I don't know how common this problem is, but it's possible that you'll find that geofencing won't switch between HOME and AWAY the way it is supposed to.