How easy to set up not bought yet

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
JBaker
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi there I'm just wondering if you have to be computer router minded and have to mess with any settings to get the camera system working or if it's a matter of plug and go and pressing a few buttons on the base ?? Also if it has to go through one house wall and the stables are maybe 75ft away will it still work ?? Thanks in advance
4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

JBaker wrote:
Hi there I'm just wondering if you have to be computer router minded and have to mess with any settings to get the camera system working or if it's a matter of plug and go and pressing a few buttons on the base ?? Also if it has to go through one house wall and the stables are maybe 75ft away will it still work ?? Thanks in advance

In the majority of cases the Arlo system is plug/play with the simple instrctions.  Not to say that with the combos of OS and devices there's bound to be a glitch now and then setting up.

I found the easiest setup is on the PC ( with  flash running properly ) and then I ported over to the Ipad and android.

The distance in real world is just like normal wifi... best range is spec'ed at 300 ft but this is with no obstructions/clear line of site. Normal  max use range will prob in the 75ft or so range thru buildings ( stick built, not metal ) If your current wifi device/tablet/etc works at the distance you want a camera from your wifi sytem, then prob the cameras will also work.

There are ways to extend the distance... you can have 2 bases and then sync the closest cameras to each base.

Arlo requires an ethernet port to run a base so either a long ethernet cable( up to a couple hundred ft ) to the far end for the second base or a second wifi system at the far end.  You may also extend the range using a wifi extender unit if it has a ethernet port ( tho that get you the extra distance of the extender unit is functional )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
JBaker
Aspirant
Aspirant
My stables will be across the road , so if I plug the base and wi fi extender in to my sisters house which will be next door to them , will the app allow me to see them at home which will be across the road hope I've explained it ok
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The basic answer to your questions is yes.  As long as the cameras have a good connection to the base and the base can connect though the WiFi extender with sufficient speed (1Mb/s) all will be well.  The distances between base and camera as well extender to router will be the determining factors.

The real issue is whether the base can be placed so the cameras have a good connection.  The WiFi extender you'e talking about helps with that but the distance between the base and cameras vs walls, wiring, etc. that can block the signal needs to be experimented with.  

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

JBaker wrote:
My stables will be across the road , so if I plug the base and wi fi extender in to my sisters house which will be next door to them , will the app allow me to see them at home which will be across the road hope I've explained it ok

As mentioned , how far thru building is the determing factor.... Easy test is to hook into your sisters wifi and then walk over to the barn next door and check the wifi signal on your device ( phone/tablet/etc ).... If you have at least 1/2 signal strength from the sisters wifi, an extender will prob work fine.

Remember to set all up on your home system before taking Arlo to another system ( at which time it should be unplaug and move , replug ) AND also you can sync a camera to only 1 base at a time... so pick the cameras your going to sync to the second base.

Also, depending on service level you can see 5, 10, 15 cameras at/on one program together

Morse is faster than texting!