Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 31 Replies
  • 47 Likes
  • 16 In Conversation
ricksea34
Tutor
Tutor

I have accidentally clicked on the 'donate' button to contribute videos for research, yet there is no obvious way to undo this.

31 REPLIES 31
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

TBMK, once done , that's it. 

It does give a second notice that you are donating... BTW, they get so many for their study they are doing now

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/What-is-Arlo-Smart-and-how-do-I-benefit-from-it...

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
manfredz
Hero
Hero

Reading between the lines here, are you under the impression that once you click donate all your videos are theirs?  I was under the impression its only the video thats up on the donate button.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

manfredz wrote:

Reading between the lines here, are you under the impression that once you click donate all your videos are theirs?  I was under the impression its only the video thats up on the donate button.

No... ONLY the video selected is Donated and you can ONLY pick one at a time for this

Morse is faster than texting!
coldcuppatea
Guide
Guide
I've just come searching for information on this. Am I right in assuming from this link that I "donate" my clips in order that Arlo can develop a new product that they will then sell to me?! If so, I'm really not happy about that.

I've also found myself accidentally clicking the button and I don't want to see it there. I think this is really poor from Netgear.
manfredz
Hero
Hero

can't agree with you.  after accidentally hitting donate button you still have to confirm it.

You only donate that one vid that you clicked donate on.

It gives their development folks an idea of what buyers are using the cams for, quality of recordings their getting etc,

I can;t see anything wrong with that.

Bluetown
Tutor
Tutor
It's sneaky of Arlo to do this. Poor practice to roll out a button knowing that users will invariably click it to see what it's about.
manfredz
Hero
Hero

Nonsense

If you accidentally click on it, you get taken to a screen where you have to confirm, and where the nature of donate is explained

Also it applies to only that one video.

vdub4life
Tutor
Tutor
I did the same thing. OOPS! Anyway to retract it?
manfredz
Hero
Hero

As I mentioed above the donate only applies to the one vid you clicked donate on and confirmed.   Its not a from then on thing

vdub4life
Tutor
Tutor
oh...well, hopefully it will be trashed.
manfredz
Hero
Hero

since these donations go to a technical crew for technical reasons like thousands of others  am sure no one is interested in the content of yours

vdub4life
Tutor
Tutor
I hope that's the case.
Vinol
Tutor
Tutor

To people that are not agree to "You can accidentaty donate the video" : it really easy to say "there is a "confirmation popup". It happens and the mobile application is not very user friendly about that topic because it appends to me and I did not see the confirmation popup !

I did not want to share this video.

What is the procedure to cancel video sharing ?

ricksea34
Tutor
Tutor

That is your personal opinion, and I do agree that donations to developments are worthy for the improvement, however to be quite frank with you...I had my camera running in my home accidentally at the time, and what was captured is something that was private (sex) and I would want ANYONE to ever see.   Also at the time I wrote my original post, I was unaware of an additional step to confirm donation.   I agree with another post, that Arlo should have been a bit more descriptive about the process and/or even had a cancel option prominently available.  When I clicked on donate by accident (to see how that button worked), several of my clips turned pink as if these were selected for donation, and I could not find any way to reverse this action....sending me into a panick mode.  

manfredz
Hero
Hero

geeze.   After you click on Donate you get a screen asking you to confirm, with Cancel right beside the OK.   What more could you want.

ricksea34
Tutor
Tutor

Again, Manfredz, I am glad this was all easy for you, however it is easy to say by the shear amount of contribution and others scratching their heads, not everyone found it to be as basic as you did.  I never saw any page that asked for confirmation or cancellation, had I, obviously I would not have started this query.  Is it possible this confirmation page was added after my query?  

manfredz wrote:

geeze.   After you click on Donate you get a screen asking you to confirm, with Cancel right beside the OK.   What more could you want.

CHEERS, and Happy Holidays!

manfredz
Hero
Hero

definitely not, i know the confirmation has been there since at least this summer.   Of course I cant confirm its always there.  Another possibility, I use the recordings library using my computer, wouldnt know if its also there if using your phone.

cos_cyclone
Initiate
Initiate
The confirmation is not present on the mobile app after donate. It should be.
Retired_Member
Not applicable
I accidentally clicked the donation button and was not given a warning or do not submit choice. This is poor app design.
DawnM
Arlo Employee Retired

We have identified and verified that there is a bug on the Android app where the confirm button does not come up after you choose donate. We are actively working on getting this resolved. If you are seeing this on other apps, let us know. In our testing, we have only seen this on the Android app. 

erk_kre
Initiate
Initiate

I can confirm that currently in Android, there is no warning after pressing the donate button.

I accidentally pressed the donate button, and now I can't undo that.

I never gave any authorization to use my images and I was not warned for the consequences after pressing that button.

Feedback please and a solution!

Kind regards

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

erk_kre,

The development team is working on a resolution for this. I will provide an update as soon as more information is available.

JamesC

Stones6069
Initiate
Initiate
So in the mean time, while the Donate button is being addressed, what are our options in getting or deleting the video already sent to Net Gear?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Stones6069,

There is no way to "undo" after using the Donate feature. The development team is still working toward a resolution for this and we hope to have an update available soon.

JamesC