Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How do I connect to the local web portal ?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
SALAZAR7
Initiate
Initiate

Hey Guys,

Just got the 5 camera system. I've synced the cameras to the base station and everything is working great through the online portal. I had a huge problem trying to connect them today, where arlo's servers were down and no one could setup a new device... but whatever, Its working now. Anyways, that kind of worried me, because now that i have it working on the cloud app ... I'm wondering what happens the next time Arlo's servers go down. Well, its Netgear, and they are not stupid so i'm sure they've thought of this and engineered a solution. I figure I'll be able to manage my new expensive camera setup through their base station, locally. Kind of like how normal surveilance systems work..... However, i cant figure out how to get into the base station on the LAN.  I've tried entering the base station's IP address into my web browser, but it doesn't seem to be running a web server on port 80 or 443. I'm guessing its using another port ? Or maybe i have to download some proprietary software to my computer, that im not seeing on netgear's site ? In the event of a power outtage or WAN network outtage, i thought these cameras would be great, having their own power source and all. Also, i thought it would be better to shell out the additional funds for ease of use and peace of mind. why spend 100$ on a cheap chinese system headache, when you can sped $500 on something nice and easy to use. i have all of my network gear ( including the arlo base station ) on uninteruptable power supplies, cameras are all setup, this is the last thing i've gotta figure out!

Thanks,

Tl;dr

How do i veiw the cameras on my Local Area Network when the cloud application is not accessable.

4 REPLIES 4
manfredz
Hero
Hero

when Netgear's servers are down, your system is not accessible.   Doesn't happen very often, think second or third time this year, and has been for only a few hours.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Also if you have the Pro or Pro2, the usb backup should record to the drive if previously armed ( with power of course )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

SALAZAR7 wrote:

However, i cant figure out how to get into the base station on the LAN.  I've tried entering the base station's IP address into my web browser, but it doesn't seem to be running a web server on port 80 or 443. I'm guessing its using another port ?

Ther'es no access to the base for security reasons. If you could somehow interface directly with the base, it would be prone to being hackable.

In the event of a power outtage or WAN network outtage, i thought these cameras would be great, having their own power source and all. Also, i thought it would be better to shell out the additional funds for ease of use and peace of mind. why spend 100$ on a cheap chinese system headache, when you can sped $500 on something nice and easy to use. i have all of my network gear ( including the arlo base station ) on uninteruptable power supplies, cameras are all setup, this is the last thing i've gotta figure out!

That's where the USB ports on the Pro bases come in.  The original base never had the ports activated for any purpose but the Pro base supports 2 USB devices (thumb drives are best) so recordings are backed up locally in the event of loss of Internet. You have to pull the drive from the base to see the recorded videos since the base doesn't act like a NAS.

tinman517
Apprentice
Apprentice

I trust that you are able to connect, now. 

Everything appears to be working, as it should, at this moment.