Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Andrea52
Follower
Follower

Recently there have been many neighbors around me complaining that a guy with an iPad can turn off their wireless security cameras so he is not recorded while he helps himself to anything he wants from their front porches and backyards.

I searched to see if there is a way to prevent the app from disabling wifi cameras. I found an article from Netgear, the brand of my Arlo base station, that says you can configure access control or MAC filtering, which would essentially hide the network from the app so they can't disable it.

I've tried following the steps from the article but none of their instructions match up with what I am seeing on my screen. 

If anyone has heard of this and successfully configured some settings to accomplish what I am trying to do, I would really appreciate it. My system is about 5 years old and it is not even listed at a product with support on Netgear any longer.

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A WiFi/2.4GHz jammer, while illegal to use, would do this. However, someone needs to prove this. I would think your camera would still record until the signal was strong enough to block the connection so you'd have a short video that might show the guy. 

This is possible but seemingly unlikely.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Andrea52 wrote:

My system is about 5 years old and it is not even listed at a product with support on Netgear any longer.

Arlo became a separate company in 2018, so they are no longer part of Netgear. 

@Andrea52 wrote:

I found an article from Netgear  ...  that says you can configure access control or MAC filtering, which would essentially hide the network from the app so they can't disable it.

Routers have these features, but not the Arlo base station.  It is a completely closed system, and there are no WiFi settings that you can change.

No idea what that guy is actually doing, let alone whether it would work with Arlo cameras.  Do your neighbors have any more information?  What brand of cameras were they using?