Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 56 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 12 In Conversation
cam33
Tutor
Tutor

I have 2 cameras and my rule is when A detects motion, both A and B record. B is passive, no motion detect, only records when A is triggered I have been very happy with this rule since B is installed at the front of my house facing a busy road while A is installed near the fence gate facing the house. So when any one enters, A will detect and record so does B. It is very precise hence I barely receive annoying false alert and also very good for battery life. But B seems "stop working" this afteroon as I only receive 1 video record in my library which is from A. It should be 2 videos there from both A and B. I have tried everything I could, including reboot the base, camera, taking out batteries and put them back...even delete the rules and set up again. Still 1 video instead of 2 ! I also tried "When A detects, B records," it works. It doesn't work for both (A and B both record). Then I went out at night walking pass A I see A has IR on (red LED) and B has IR on too it proves they are working when IR on it means recording. But the question is, where is the video from B? Only see A in library. Does anybody here come to this before? Is it my problem or the problem of Arlo cloud which doesnt send the video through?  Thanks!

PS: I found this rule is extremely good I only have 2-3 alerts everyday so I can record 30 sec or even longer if I wish rather than heap of false 10 sec alerts which is not only annoying and also wasting battery life. Also I can install the camera at front of my house in higher place that covers the whole street I can even see what car and its plate. If the motion detects cannot let both cameras record, I can't put the camera in that way to face the street as I ever tried and received tons of alerts by those cars and people walking by not to mention how long the battery can last. Now my battery only drops 1% for a week by recording 30 secs per detect. Very amazing results. This way battery is really not an issue but Arlo if you read this, pls fix the problem as what really matters is how to use Arlo in a smart way rather than how long your batter can go! 

56 REPLIES 56
MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice

I called the tech support phone number, and they seem to be aware that it's a broader system issue (rather than an individual user one).  They didn't offer any details on what they think the problem is or when it will be fixed, but they're at least aware of it and searching for the source of the problem and solution.

I obviously expect glitches from time to time on such a complext system like this, but it seems strange that it took them so long to notice the problem and/or at least communicate it.   As of now, they have not sent an email blast out to account users letting know there's an issue and that they're working on it.  (I'm sure there's a lot of people power cycling their base stations and cameras and otherwise climbing ladders right now that don't need to be.)

bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice
I agree, we all need to make sure we let them know so they don't think it's an isolated problem,
cam33
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks MichaelRogers, nice work!  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For those in this thread experiencing this issue. Please private message me with your case number that you have open with support and I will escalate accordingly.

Thank you,

JamesC

MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice
All,

Arlo is on it. See redacted communication from Arlo below...

My name is XXXX with Expert ID XXXX. I'll be handling your case regarding the Cross-recording that has stopped working.

As you have mentioned, our Engineers are made aware of customers like you having the same issue. Rest assured that they are working on a fix for this concern.

Once a fix is found, it will pushed in the form of a Firmware update which would be done automatically by the system.

You will also be notified either by phone or Email about the resolution.

We highly appreciate your patience and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this concern may have caused.

Thank you for choosing NETGEAR.

Regards,

XXXX
Tocker30
Apprentice
Apprentice

I received this email today from tech support about the issue:

Regarding your inquiry, I would suggest that you re-create the same rules under the default Armed mode of your system.

In case the rule re-creation will still not work, kindly remove the cameras and your base station from the account. Then, factory reset and re-claim the base station as well as your cameras back to your account. If the problem persists, we will escalate the case to further investigate the your system's cross-recording problem. Something may have been changed on our end, which may have triggered this issue.

I really don't want to go through this process when it seems like a software problem on their end. Any thoughts?

cam33
Tutor
Tutor

Hi MichaelRoger, again great work and now great news! 

I have mine from Arlo attracted below though looking quite different than yours but perhaps it worths trying to put the rule under the standard "armed" rule. I haven't tried this before but I deftly don't want to reset all again as I have to take out my ladder to unscrew bracket etc which is a lot of works. 

Thank you for contacting NETGEAR Arlo Support.

Regarding your inquiry, I would suggest that you re-create the same rules under the system's default Armed mode.

In case the rule re-creation will still not work, kindly remove the cameras and base station from your account. Then, factory reset and re-claim the base station as well as the cameras back to your account. If the problem persists regarding the cross-recording rules, we will escalate the case immdiately to further investigate this cross-recording problem. Something may have been changed on our end, which may have caused this.

For case isolation, it would also help if you could send us some screen shots of the cross-recording rules that you have been creating for the system. To attach the files online, please refer to the following steps:

a) Log into the my.netgear.com Portal.
b) Click the "Attach Files to Support Case" option located in right side Menu.
c) Select from the drop down menu "My Open Cases" the Case# to which you would to attach the file.
d) Click "Select" button and select the file and it will be uploaded.

Note: Files accepted are PDF, JPG, GIF, PNG, DOC, ZIP. Maximum Size allowed is 30MB.

If the provided information did not help in resolving the issue, please log into http://my.netgear.com and respond with as much detail as possible as this will help us better answer your query.

We also have other support options available for you:

• Phone support: 408-638-3750
• Live chat support: http://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx
• Online Forum: community.arlo.com

Thank you for choosing NETGEAR.

Regards,

Guiller
Expert ID: 46342
NETGEAR Support Expert

Tocker30
Apprentice
Apprentice

I went ahead and attached a screenshot of my rules to the ticket and submitted that. I am trying the default rules change, because I do not want to remove all of my cameras from the mount and restart them, especially if this is just a shot in the dark, ie, no confirmation from ARLO that they have even detected an issue. IF anyone else notices if this works, please let me know. Thanks

Ianchr56
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having the exaqct same problem have tried deleting and re installing cameras  synching rebooting both modem and base station still no joy. It is a great rule can someone please help!!!! NETGEAR????????????

cam33 wrote:

I have 2 cameras and my rule is when A detects motion, both A and B record. B is passive, no motion detect, only records when A is triggered I have been very happy with this rule since B is installed at the front of my house facing a busy road while A is installed near the fence gate facing the house. So when any one enters, A will detect and record so does B. It is very precise hence I barely receive annoying false alert and also very good for battery life. But B seems "stop working" this afteroon as I only receive 1 video record in my library which is from A. It should be 2 videos there from both A and B. I have tried everything I could, including reboot the base, camera, taking out batteries and put them back...even delete the rules and set up again. Still 1 video instead of 2 ! I also tried "When A detects, B records," it works. It doesn't work for both (A and B both record). Then I went out at night walking pass A I see A has IR on (red LED) and B has IR on too it proves they are working when IR on it means recording. But the question is, where is the video from B? Only see A in library. Does anybody here come to this before? Is it my problem or the problem of Arlo cloud which doesnt send the video through?  Thanks!

PS: I found this rule is extremely good I only have 2-3 alerts everyday so I can record 30 sec or even longer if I wish rather than heap of false 10 sec alerts which is not only annoying and also wasting battery life. Also I can install the camera at front of my house in higher place that covers the whole street I can even see what car and its plate. If the motion detects cannot let both cameras record, I can't put the camera in that way to face the street as I ever tried and received tons of alerts by those cars and people walking by not to mention how long the battery can last. Now my battery only drops 1% for a week by recording 30 secs per detect. Very amazing results. This way battery is really not an issue but Arlo if you read this, pls fix the problem as what really matters is how to use Arlo in a smart way rather than how long your batter can go! 

cam33
Tutor
Tutor

I did the same and send over screenshot of setting under the default armed mode, still not working though camera a detect and record but can't let b record same as before. Yes I also don't want up the ladder which is 10 feet high to unscrew thing down , reset and up ladder again with my iPhone duct taped to the wall to adjust angle that is really not a fun and even can't be sure it can work. 

MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice

Tocker30 wrote:

I received this email today from tech support about the issue:

Regarding your inquiry, I would suggest that you re-create the same rules under the default Armed mode of your system.

In case the rule re-creation will still not work, kindly remove the cameras and your base station from the account. Then, factory reset and re-claim the base station as well as your cameras back to your account. If the problem persists, we will escalate the case to further investigate the your system's cross-recording problem. Something may have been changed on our end, which may have triggered this issue.

I really don't want to go through this process when it seems like a software problem on their end. Any thoughts?

I wouldn't do anything until they fix the firmware on their end.  If you do it now (before fixed on their end), you won't accomplish anything and may just have to do it again tomorrow.  If they fix it on their end, you might have to do nothing but a base station power cycle.

I probably would not have kept the Arlos without this thing and the magnetic ball mounts.  Allows you to get the cameras down and up in 10 seconds (including aiming) without ladders!

image.jpeg

cam33
Tutor
Tutor

Good stuff, MichaelRoger! PS: If Arlo can include detecting zone in the software it would be far easier to position the camera. Same like you would defly send it back without cross recording and mounting system.

cam33
Tutor
Tutor

Just go this email from Netgear. Now things are moving toward a right direction. Finger crossed! 

Hello XXX,

Thank you for uploading the screenshots. Our top level experts are already looking onto this matter and hopefully will be able to provide a fix soon.

We also highly appreciate the report that you had submitted online. We will provide you updates after the top level experts have confirmed the fix.

Thanks agian for choosing NETGEAR.

Regards,

Guiller
Expert ID: 46342
NETGEAR Support Expert

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

cam33 wrote:

Good stuff, MichaelRoger! PS: If Arlo can include detecting zone in the software it would be far easier to position the camera. Same like you would defly send it back without cross recording and mounting system.

The wireless cameras detect over the whole field of view so adding the detection zone would do nothing additional.  When changing the batteries, I just try to get the camera back to close where it was and use live view to fine tune.

cam33
Tutor
Tutor

Eventually it turns out it is an issue on the server's side and Netgear has fixed it without our doing anything. 24-July, 2016.

MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice
Cam,

Are your cameras working right now and/or did you get a confirmation from NETGEAR the issue was fixed? (7:51 PM Central Time on July 24, 2016).
JayBd
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can confirm that all my cameras are working using the custom rules I set up.
I am very pleased to have this up and running.

Jay

cam33
Tutor
Tutor

Yes all work now without doing anything on my side. No I got nothing from them say it has been fixed but actually the issue is solved. I am going to buy more cameras and really hope this issue won't happen again. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A fix was released over the weekend that has addressed this issue. Please let me know if you are still experiencing problems with your rules.

JamesC

Tocker30
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you for the update. Was there a firmware or software update that took place? I think my cameras are working now. My camera's firmware is the same and I do not know if I received a software update or anything. Could you share some info on the fix? Thanks!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Tocker30,

I am glad to hear that your cameras are now behaving as expected. 

The fix did not require new firmware/software. No action is needed by the user to benefit from the fix.

JamesC

bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice
Just wanted to say 2 days and all rules are working beautifully. I am very happy with my system again, working awesome!
Tocker30
Apprentice
Apprentice

This morning, it looks like I may have the problem again. I got to secondary recordings, but nothing from the triggered device. Also, the alerts all are from the same camera, and not from the actual cameras doing the recordings. Anyone else having issues?

MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice
Looks like I may be having the issue again too.
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy
I've had two out of three instances two nights ago where the secondary camera only recorded footage, but the triggering camera did not.

Another instance from early this morning triggered both cameras successfully.

I never touched/recreated my rules, soft-reset the base station several times though since the notification that the issue was (supposedly) resolved.