Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Height Opinions

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
paintguy
Star
Star
I'm just wondering at what height are people mounting the cameras outside and how are you testing the best placement before drilling holes for the mounts? Just curios. Should there also be a general category added to the forums?
2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I have mounted my one camera about 7ft+... high enough that it is slightly out of reach for the average person.

I may have gone higher but fel that it gives a lesser view if the angle is to great.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
R_Lowe
Luminary
Luminary

Hi Tom.  Since I have a history of security cam usage, sure, I'll add my opinion:

[I'll unbox and install my Arlos in the next couple of days.  However,] I do have and have been using two Dropcams for a year now.  Both are at or near 7' high -- the height which in fact Arlo specifically recommends.  I've found seven feet to be a fairly optimal height because it provides both a good viewing angle and encompassing and helpful perspective.  I wouldn't deviate more than 2 feet at the most above or below it.  If out of the 6-8 foot range, you could possibly miss catching important upward motions or actions (if installed too low), or see more top-of-head angels than iimportant identifying-face views (if installed too high).  

If installed outside, one also needs to consider the difficulty or ease one may have in trying to steal or damage it.  I'm 6'2" so it wouldn't be hard for me to reach up to 7'.  Accordingly, in a fairly well-traveled or exposed front-of-home location, I would opt for an 8-foot placement...   These are only suggestions -- you will obviously need to experiment based on your own home architecture and situations, neighborhood and well, comfort level.  I don't believe one can actually use a stolen Arlo if it hasn't been electronically removed or unlnked from your system, but if it is taken or damaged, you would certainly be denied its usage and would be out the $150 camera-only cost to replace it (should you elect to do so).