Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
JCC60
Apprentice
Apprentice

Our vacation home had a power failure and now all 5 our cameras are all off-line.  Is there any way to restart them remotely?

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you tried booth the app and browser? Maybe it's just somehow affecting one. If not, can you get a neighbor to che k and power off the base and back on? For the future, purchase a UPS that will power all your network equipment, modem, router and base. You can probably get away with as small a unit as 500VA but consider larger, especially if you want to be able to handle longer outages.

JCC60
Apprentice
Apprentice

Damnedest thing.  

Both the App on my i-Pad and the browser on my PC were reporting that all 5 cameras were offline.  We had a report from the power company that there was an outage for about 1 hour that affected our house.  

However, I just went back into the system on my PC and all 5 cameras are back on-line and functioning.

Crazy.

JCC60
Apprentice
Apprentice

Oh, and I will take your advice and get a UPS with sufficient power to carry us through the next time.  Just because I got lucky this time doesn't mean I will get away with it the next.

Thanks

JCC

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd recommend using a power measurement device like the Kill-A-Watt to measure what your power consumption actually is at peak (recording, live view, etc.) for all of your network gear at once to help determine the capacity of the UPS.  I have a 750VA UPS and have measured <40 watts so it would seem to indicate that I could live with at least a 15 hour outage but haven't tested the reality.  Last year's Super Bowl had a 2 hour or so outage and it worked just fine (the neighbor was relieved since he could connect to my WiFi to watch the rest of the game).

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

JCC60 wrote:

Oh, and I will take your advice and get a UPS with sufficient power to carry us through the next time.  Just because I got lucky this time doesn't mean I will get away with it the next.

From some of my past tests.... many times the system will come back. Prob 98% of the time the base will return as normal after a boot up.

Problem , IMO, rests with the cameras not the base.  For some reason when the cameras lose contact with the base ( base has no power ) they continue to attemp to reconnect.

This causes battery life loss and then now and then the camera just plain quits attempting.  The proble arrises that remotely there is no way to bring back the cameras once they drop out. 

The drop out problem is solved if the base has power via UPS during elec failure as the cameras don't see it as down. If your close to the remote site, no big deal... if its hours away then a UPS may make your life a bit easier.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
R_Lowe
Luminary
Luminary

JCC60 wrote:

Our vacation home had a power failure and now all 5 our cameras are all off-line.  Is there any way to restart them remotely?

I'm glad things worked out.  But just to specifically answer your question in the event you'd still like to know or if others might benefit from knowing, to restart remotely, you go to or click on:

1.  Settings
2.  My Devices

3.  Your base station [e.g., something like, 48915174B2366 for wireless, or "Arlo Q," depending on what is out] on the right
4.  Restart (large rectantular/oval button at bottom of the page)

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, you can remotely restart the Q cam.... but I believe the OP was in ref to the regular Arlo cams.

There is no restart remotely for Arlo cams, only a remote start for the Arlo base. Problem is the reboot of base doesn't bring back Arlo cams once they drop out.

Morse is faster than texting!