Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geofencing using WIFI Network

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
noscamiam
Star
Star
Location-based geofencing is buggy - sometimes decides I am away while sitting in my living room. Why not just arm or disarm when your device disconnects or connects to the Wi-Fi network your cameras are on?
3 REPLIES 3
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many users have had success resolving this issue by checking their mobile devices battery saving settings. Some devices have battery optimization settings that close or put apps to sleep after they have been idle for a period of time. Check your mobile devices settings and be sure that an exception is made for Arlo if you are running battery saving settings.

JamesC

noscamiam
Star
Star
I did disable the battery optimization setting and that did fix the "no internet connection" issue but I still get seemingly random disarming or arming of cameras when I am no where near the boundary of the geofence. Bottomline it isn't reliable. That is why I suggested tying arming/disarming to when your device is connected to the same WI-FI network. You either are or aren't on the same network so perhaps it would be more reliable than depending on GPS.
maartenklein
Tutor
Tutor

totally support the request for a more reliable WIFI geofencing. The GPS geofencing mode has too many hickups (besides the fact that in my well isolated house there is hardly any GPS reception possible). Clouds or whatever influences the functioning of my camera system. My phone is also never on any saving batt option.