Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Geofencing and schedule don't always work

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Migs
Tutor
Tutor
I have geofencing turned on and a schedule set for it to be armed from 10pm to 6am even when I'm home. Everything works fine but randomly it will not disarm at 6am and doesn't go back to geofencing. I have to disarm it and turn back on geofencing to basically reset it.
15 REPLIES 15
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Migs,

Are you leaving the app running or are you logging out/force closing? The app needs to be running on your phone for Geofencing to update location and change the mode.

JamesC

Migs
Tutor
Tutor
It's always running. I also leave my wifi on always with my phone
marcoinpb
Star
Star

Exactly the problem I continue to have. My best guess is that the Arlo program needs to be amended to correct the apparent closeing of the program during the night. You describe EXACTLY the problem tha we Beta testers can not cure. 

SJT80
Initiate
Initiate
Same here. Seems to be a fault with app. Leave it running but the schedule seems to fail to change mode when working through Geofence. Toggle Geofence and it seems to reset to correct schedule mode. Tried lots of different options but can't get it to work reliably. Beta issue for sure.
Okone1
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have the same problem with geofencing mode not updating the schedule.  I never force close the app, but I do get logged out automatically. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I have forwarded these topics to the beta team for review. Geofencing is still a beta feature and will see more updates in the future.

Some users have reported refreshing their enabled devices (toggle enabled devices off, save, and then toggle back on) has helped with the issue being discussed here.

JamesC

farsideofcrazy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a similar issue. I have the Geofencing set to use "Schedule" for the "Home" setting so that it will be on and record activity while I am sleeping. The problem is once it goes to the Schedule it will often not switch back to Armed when geofencing detects that I am "away". It just keeps working on the schedule. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

farsideofcrazy,

Consider refreshing your enabled devices within Geofencing settings. Disable all listed devices, save and then enable the devices again.

Also be sure the app stays logged in and is running on your mobile device. If the app is logged off/not running Geofencing will not work.

Do you still see the same behavior?

JamesC

Migs
Tutor
Tutor
James you have to refresh geofencing settings a couple times a week. That's not a fix. It's a temporary fix. This has been going on for a while now, why has there not been an update to fix this?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Migs,

Geofencing is still a beta feature. More updates improving this feature will come in the future. I have escalated these discussions to the Beta team.

We appreciate your feedback while this feature is being developed.

JamesC

farsideofcrazy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have tried refreshing everything and the problem still occurs. I also may not always be able to leaveo  the app running and so that is not an option, nor do I think it should be. 

I understand that this is still a beta product so I am hoping these kinks get resolved for production. With that said I really like the potential this feature offers so let me know if there is something I can do to help get it resolved!

Thanks!

Bulletcatcher
Aspirant
Aspirant

So here we are nearly a year later and the problem persists.  What's up with that ?  Having to toggle modes isn't a viable solution.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Bulletcatcher,

If the app is not running and your phone cannot be located or location is not enabled, Geofencing will not work. When using Geofencing be sure the app is always running. If you're having trouble with location, try increasing the location radius within Geofencing settings (small->medium, medium ->large).

JamesC

2imkers
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased the VMS4430 Pro series a couple of weeks ago and am having issues with geofencing randomly telling me it's in away mode while I'm at home with full signal. It switches to armed when I go out and my husband is still at home, even though his phone is a saved device. Then I have to remotely disarm the system to avoid getting continuous notifications, but don't know when he is going out so it can be armed again. I set a schedule for night-time to arm the system, saved as home mode, in geofencing, but it's not working at all, even though I had help from the Live Chat to set it up. The Live chat person told me it was not possible to use a schedule in combination with geofencing, which I found is not true when I researched further on this forum.Also it would be a pain to have to switch between schedules all the time. Basically I'm quite frustrated with trying to get this working and not even sure it ever will. I hope someone can prove me wrong.

Bulletcatcher
Aspirant
Aspirant

We're very dissapointed with this system.  It's just not reliable at all. Our biggest problem is with the cameras going offline, apparently losing contact with the base, and there's no way to re-connect remotely.