Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Fishbowl Effect

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
ExRayz
Aspirant
Aspirant

All of my cameras exibit a fishbowl like effect on the images. I don't see that on the reviews and 'user posted' screen shots. When I say fishbowl, I mean the right and left edge are rounded. Is this normal or can I correct this in the setting?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd say it's a normal thing given the relative lack of quality optics.  Pretty much any wide angle lens has some amount of residual curvature left - my $1000+ Canon professional zoom has noticeable curvature at the wide angle end.  While it's not real fisheye uncorrected curvature, the relatively inexpensive optics in this camera are apt to have this present which is most noticeable with straight lines.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
KristynM
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

ExRayz,

Could you provide a screenshot of what you are experiencing? We would like to get a better view of how the images are being shown from your system. 

Regards,
KristynM
Arlo Support Team
ExRayz
Aspirant
Aspirant

arlo1.jpg If you look at the right, you can see curvature that gets progessively worse. I am geteting this on all cameras.

KristynM
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

ExRayz,

What are the locations of the cameras that are having the fishbowl effect that you are mentioning? This could be due to the angle that the cameras are positioned.

Regards,
KristynM
Arlo Support Team
ExRayz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi again Krystyn, this is another image from the camera. I moved it from outside where I had it set up at a temporary location to inside where it is now setting atop a grandfather clock. Do the cameras have to be set up at an angle? As I recall, all 3 of my cameras has been set up with a flat placement. In this image you can see the curvature (bow)  again.

arlo2.jpg

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd say it's a normal thing given the relative lack of quality optics.  Pretty much any wide angle lens has some amount of residual curvature left - my $1000+ Canon professional zoom has noticeable curvature at the wide angle end.  While it's not real fisheye uncorrected curvature, the relatively inexpensive optics in this camera are apt to have this present which is most noticeable with straight lines.

ExRayz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the info. Makes sense considering I am getting this on all 3 of the cameras. I'm ok with this and consider the image to be acceptable. Just wanted to be sure it was not correctable.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Heh!  Anything is correctable - remember the Hubble telescope nneding correction after launch?  It's only cubic dollars...