Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

Firmware upgrade again to 1.12.2.1_2798, causing the live streaming, image or recorded video downgrade, lower the resolution, is everyone having the same problem yet. the Firmware upgrade was yesterday midnight (May 21, 2019).

290 REPLIES 290
MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

@ShayneS wrote:

We are aware of reports that some customers with Arlo wire-free camera model VMC3030 may be experiencing degraded/pixelated quality of video clips in their libraries. Our team is working to address the degradation/pixelated video quality.

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience. We will provide an update on this issue by 3PM PT/June 6, 2019.

Thank you,

Arlo Team

Shayne,

Please ensure that the engineering team understands that the problem is acute and exists as well with the live video stream.

"Some" is surely an understatement.

MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

@dsiu2902 wrote:

MikeBravo, Battery Experiment:

They are 2 groups of 2 batteries - 2 front and 2 rear.
The two front are connected in series, and two rear also connected in series.

Front line carries 6 Volts and rear line also carries 6 volts. The two lines are connected in parallel.

The camera requires 6 volts to work. If the front line is used, you have 50% capacity, if the rear line is used, you also have 50% capacity, If both lines are used together, then you have 100% capacity.

I did some battery experiment using four (4) new batteries.

They start at 100%, then drain to 61%, then drain to 11%, until the battery is completely exhausted.

During each step, I remove the battery and measure each battery voltage to see which one will drain out faster.

At the end of the test, I found that only two batteries were completely exhausted,

while the other two batteries still had 90% remaining.

The weird thing is that the fully depleted battery is not in front pair or rear pair.

It is on the upper right and lower left batteries (fully depleted battery).

The question is:

Since the front or rear pairs are connected in series,

they should be discharged together at the same time, but they are not.

Maybe some electrical engineering can explain it to me? How can this happen?

So now, you know which battery to save. I hope this helps others.

Your explanation is music to our ears as from the lack of responses to our posts it seemed as though we were the only one having this strange issue, what we have been posting about for some time now. Arlo's e-mail updates about battery life are entirely unreliable.

Like you, we have experimented with examining the batteries that were supposed be fully exhausted and discovered that often one pair regardless of their postion in the camera would have 90% or better of charge remaining despite Arlo indicating that they were fully discharged. 

Knowing this is saving us money on batteries, but is a real pain having to keep track of new and old batteries constantly testing each time.

As bad a situation that is, working with the Pro batteries is even worse as their life is even more erratic.

MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

@Bjoern64 wrote:

I restarted the system and was asked to update the cameras with the new firmware (1.3.319).
I still experience some pixelation, but not nearby as before.

The same here. Live video and recordings about 90% back to where they were before. 

Hope that they don't think this is good enough because it's not and instead keep working on it.

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary
@Bjoern64 wrote:

I restarted the system and was asked to update the cameras with the new firmware (1.3.319).
I still experience some pixelation, but not nearby as before.

This latest change is unacceptable, and the good news is that Pixelation has disappeared.

But the quality is no way close the HD quality (at least 720) or close to our previous quality.

See explanation below:

Then I noticed that my video was not set to "Best video" option, and after I changed it, the result was still the same.

Currently, there is no difference between these "Optimized" and "Best video" option.

Arlo needs to continue to investigate and correct this issue.

Comparison of the file size as of this moment:

Optimized and Best video:

120 seconds = 7,285 to 7,531 kb, very consistent.

We need to bring it to its original quality, = 10,472 to 10,556 kb 

This is only 70% quality from before May 21, 2019.

Arlo, please investigate and correct it ASAP,

and don't forget the option for "firmware upgrade" feature, which allows us to choose.

sfdfg
Star
Star

I'm at work at the moment and did a remote restart of my base station and sure enough, 2 of my 3 Arlo cameras have updated to version 1.3.319 and appear to be working better; one of them definitely looks OK but the other hasn't triggered yet. The live feed from it isn't pixellating as it was before but still looks a little jittery, I guess I'll see once it picks up motion.

My third camera is still at version 1.3.314 and is now showing as offline! It was fine before I restarted the base station so god knows what's happened there. Maybe it needs a hard reboot.

kb1960
Initiate
Initiate

Camera firmware update complete, can you now refund me for 20 batteries, it’s smashed the right out of my recently renewed batteries

GaryBoisseau
Star
Star

While the pixilization seems to be much better, I agree with the other posters that there is no difference between the optomized and best video mode.  It is not acceptable. 

It would have been nice to let us choose when these updates were being done.  When I checked my cameras after reading these last 2 posts, I discovered that my cameras were updated without my knowledge.  I am now missing the clips from around 6:10 am EST when this update was obviously pushed down to my cameras.  I miss seeing myself leaving the house to go to work.  

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

Everyone,

Don't let them fool/deceive you.

Example:

Suppose you don't have a good lawn.

But let your lawn grow for a few weeks,

your house will be the worse house in the neighborhood.

Once you cut the lawn, your house will look the best in the neighborhood.

Eyes play trick strategy.

Before you say "this is acceptable".

You need to compare the video before and after, you can't use your IOS or phone, because the screen is much smaller.

You need a monitor screen or file size to compare. 

Remember, we pay a high price for HD quality systems.

manchester1
Guide
Guide
Same here 16 batteries.
dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

Hi,

You guys only talk about batteries.

Is it the only thing you care about (battery)?

Do you want to come back here again in a few weeks for the same firmware issue?

Pixelated, blurred video, Herky-Jerky motion again?

This happened twice in 2 months,  wake up and smell the coffee.

Let start thinking about the future of your Arlo's existing hardware.

AsoloHeart1955
Star
Star

I was at the camera system when they did the "update". Seemed better but it was dark out... This morning I was quite surprised the improvement was more than I expected. Even my "pink resolution camera that has been that way for a year. Although it is a shame that it took so long. I understand that IT takes time to fix and remedy a solution. There should have been a roll back till it was updated. I had thought about a subscription and add more cameras since I take so many "nature" videos. But now have reconsidered that idea... I had to reposition all the bird and deer feeders so I could record with a regular camera... at least now I will know what is in view since I could not even tell what animal was out there when we had the bad update.  I live in cougar area so it is important I know what is out my back door. Was sad when I missed filming 2 young bucks having a battle.

So far my cameras have improved and hope everyone has a great view this morning.  I feel more secure now since one camera set in my electric bike basket under the cover. I know if anyone is touching it. It was the "pink" view camera and I am not expecting it to stay "normal" since it has tried to be full color before and then resorted back to pink.

I also have my cameras able to view onmy fire tv so when the birds are singing and enjoying their meal I can watch on big screen. Arlo is Alexa friendly.Morning on Strawberry HillMorning on Strawberry HillHummingbird Haven...Hummingbird Haven...

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

If anyone thinks the Live feed after this camera firmware update from last night is HD, they should see an optometrist.

Still not fixed, Arlo.  Nice attempt at quieting the masses by giving them some cake though. We see your game, FYI.

Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
I am still having blurry/pixelated video on my Arlo Pro 2 cameras.... restarted the base station and no update to the cameras was indicated.....

Is this update only for the Arlo or Arlo Pro cameras??? Was anyone else having issues with degraded video on their Pro 2 cams like me??
mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Mjbeuke I have original Arlo and Arlo pro cams. The original Arlo got a half-baked firmware update last night. The Arlo pros have not gotten anything since May. They both look like crap, nowhere near HD.  So, you're not alone.

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

FYI:

I have four basic wireless cameras and are connected to the pro station (VMB4000),

Which is  working now, but no way is near as HD.

Live streamings are a bit worse than motion detection recordings.

This is unacceptable. 

Arlo, This fix is only just the beginning, you need to keep working until all these issues are resolved.

Don't just stop here and move to another project.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Update 06/11/2019: 

Our team resolved the issue in which videos were being recorded in low resolution when “Best Video” setting was selected. Your video image quality should now reflect the battery optimization selection.

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

Thank you,

Arlo Team

Our team released Firmware v1.3.319 on 6/4/19 to fix the issue in which some customers with Arlo wire-free camera model VMC3030 are experiencing degraded/pixilated quality of video clips in their libraries.

Our team is actively working to resolve the issue in which videos are being recorded in low resolution when “Best Video” setting is selected. We will provide an update by 3PT PT 6/11/19 to advise of the status of a resolution for this issue.

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

Thank you,

Arlo Team

We've released a firmware update that should resolve this issue. Please make sure your cameras are up to date with the latest firmware here: Arlo Wire Free - 1.3.319 - 4th June 2019

If you still continue to experience issues. Please open a new thread on this topic.

JamesC