Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

Firmware upgrade again to 1.12.2.1_2798, causing the live streaming, image or recorded video downgrade, lower the resolution, is everyone having the same problem yet. the Firmware upgrade was yesterday midnight (May 21, 2019).

290 REPLIES 290
manchester1
Guide
Guide

And feel free to get rid of those orange dots for "activity zones".  A total waste.

parsrgood
Apprentice
Apprentice

The upside to this whole mess is that Netgear/Arlo is not in charge of our National Security. The down side is that they will drag this fix out forever. Trying to find that perfect blend of saving themselves money and at the same time downgrading their product to a point that's just barely acceptable. Keep this thread going. Save your emails regarding this thread because they can erase this thread a lot faster than it takes for them to fix their product. Let them know we are not chimps. Remind them that we are the consumers and last I checked if no one is buying your product you're simply in the warehouse business. 

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

mamarcac,

It is me that I posted the file size comparison, previous firmware, the file size for 120 sec's is 10,556 kb,

Horrible firmware, the file size for 120 sec's is 1,210 kb, it is approx. 90% reduction.

They must know that the servers is on the verge of collapse, and now it makes sense.

That maybe the reason why they insisting on rolling back the firmware, or may create more problem for them.

I have a question, maybe you guys have an answer.

if they have to increase the cloud space to compensate for everyone, will their costs be higher,  or they can't even increase at all, do they have a limitation?

My company has to pay more for Microsoft's email storage, so I not surprise that they have to pay more for their cloud space. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@47Davis wrote:

Having the same issues with all 4 of my Arlo cameras. Imagines are blurry an pixelated. Tried talking to Arlo support, wanted me to pay $49 dollars to fix.

Are you sure you spoke with Arlo support?

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

ralfyguy1
Luminary
Luminary

@dsiu2902 wrote:

mamarcac,

It is me that I posted the file size comparison, previous firmware, the file size for 120 sec's is 10,556 kb,

Horrible firmware, the file size for 120 sec's is 1,210 kb, it is approx. 90% reduction.

They must know that the servers is on the verge of collapse, and now it makes sense.

That maybe the reason why they insisting on rolling back the firmware, or may create more problem for them.

I have a question, maybe you guys have an answer.

if they have to increase the cloud space to compensate for everyone, will their costs be higher,  or they can't even increase at all, do they have a limitation?

My company has to pay more for Microsoft's email storage, so I not surprise that they have to pay more for their cloud space. 

Makes sense, yet I couldn't give less of a damn as a customer. Fact is that I bought the system for the advertised functions and HD resolution, and this functionality is not taking place anymore. Even worse, new customers buy Arlo for the same advertising and get duped the same way. It is FALSE ADVERTISING, simple as that.

glcjr
Star
Star

They are limited by the hard drives in their server farm. Assuming it is a server farm and not them trying to run all this on one server.

Since they're being so ridiculous about not rolling back the firmware, I might be making a bad assumption that there's a server farm.

parsrgood
Apprentice
Apprentice

At the time of purchase (12/30/16) Arlo stated that in my case you could have 5 cameras with no need to purchase extra storage and it worked with iOS 9.  Since then they have deemed my Gen 4 iPad not compatible with their product following a forced app update. Now due to a forced update I need iOS 11 or better. Gen 4 iPad will not update beyond 10.3.3. Since time of purchase my system has been down multiple times for extended periods. Now...... well you know what's going on. I personally went back to my original purchase on Amazon and left a scathing review. Regardless if you purchased from Amazon or Best Buy I suggest you go back and tell everyone looking at this product to be aware. This is BS.

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

I have a bad feeling, something is up with Arlo company, they think that we are all stupid/fools.

Thinking that we will quit our entire system and then purchase or replace another more expensive / upgrade model.

That's why they do not want to remove the "Automatic firmware upgrade feature".

Maybe this is what we have to do, go to Bestbuy, Amazon, Wal-mart, Staples, Newegg, Target and Costco web site, where we can leave very bad review. So everyone else can be aware of this issue and all other Arlo product lines. 

Dannybear
Master
Master
@marcmsm
This is typical of what I would get with the previous firmware. Sounds like it’s spreading.
dogeatdog
Guide
Guide

Same issue here. This has happened 2 times over the last 12 months and it seems they fix it then it goes right back to the same issue with poor video quaility. Like I said in the past, I can't believe a company of this size does not do beta testing on their software/firmware. At the least they should give us the option on if we want to update or not. This will be my last straw, if it is not fixed soon I am tossing it in the garbarge can were it belongs. I have wasted coutless hours on trying to get it to work and I am done.

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

I just can't toss my unit on the trash, my unit was purchased a few months ago, I want them to refund my money, they are still under warranty, which they can't deliver their product per their premise.

I just discovered that Arlo is no longer part of Netgear company, they are separte company by themselves, maybe that's why nothing being done or they don't care, maybe they are up to something that they do not want us to know.

It's ironic or scary, chat support tell me that they don't know their headquarter address of Arlo technologies, inc. Maybe she doesn't want me to know where to send the complain, but it is on the packaging. They are so stupid.

I

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

Amazon just released their 2nd generation Blink XT cameras, outdoor rated, run on AA batteries, no subscription fee, cheaper than Arlo. Reviews point to firmware updates _improving_ the cameras operation. Imagine that, a company using firmware to actually provide a better product to their customers.

Arlo, you're on thin ice and Amazon has you in their cross hairs now.

parsrgood
Apprentice
Apprentice

What's also interesting is when I went to Amazon yesterday to leave a review on the faulty arlo sytem I noticed they had dropped the price of the arlo 3 wireless cams and base by 50% . I hope people do their research before buying.

MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

@mamarcac wrote:

Amazon just released their 2nd generation Blink XT cameras, outdoor rated, run on AA batteries, no subscription fee, cheaper than Arlo. Reviews point to firmware updates _improving_ the cameras operation. Imagine that, a company using firmware to actually provide a better product to their customers.

Arlo, you're on thin ice and Amazon has you in their cross hairs now.

Unfortunately, being real, as dumb as Arlo seems I'm sure someone there in management has read the Amazon reviews that point out just to name a few things that; (1) the Blink XT2 only has a 110 degree field of view compared to Arlo's 140 which hurts their motion detection, (2) you can't access their cameras on your Windows computer which is a big hit, and (3) there are many negative posts indicating that the Blink base station has a much more limited range than Arlo's.

I think Arlo won't really get off the dime unless there is a more serious threat to their dominance. 

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

@MikeBravo Nope. Both are 110° view angles, right off Arlo's website.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@MikeBravo @mamarcac

The Arlo Pro 2 has a 130 Degree FOV & The Arlo Ultra has a lens FOV: 180 Degrees diagonal 

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice
Shayne you aren't in the Pro 2 nor Ultra forum. The Pro and original Arlo are 110° right from the Arlo site. https://kb.arlo.com/000055577/What-is-a-camera-s-field-of-view-and-does-it-differ-on-Arlo-cameras

Say since you replied to something how's the Disable Automatic Updates coming along?
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@mamarcac

Feel free to post your idea in the (idea Exchange Board or leave a like. We are currently monitoring that board for the most liked features/requests.

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

After I discovered that Arlo is no longer part of Netgear, or that Netgear does not want to assume any liability or responsiblity for what Arlo is doing or they have moved out all the experts to Netgear for their own products.

Therefore, in a few days, I have waited long enought for them to fix the bugs, I will start to file a claim with BBB of CA or Consumer affairs of CA against their company for not deliver their product according to their premises. This is a scam.

I will also file a claim with the Federal Trade Commission under the Truth-In-Advertising laws for wrong publicity scam/wrong propaganda scam.

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ShayneS Feel free to actually read what has been written. We already posted in Idea Exchange TO WHICH YOU REPLIED. 

taharris
Aspirant
Aspirant
dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

@ShayneS This is BS, I have sumbitted it and posted it on the Idea Exchange board 10 days ago, when we were forced to upgrade this terrible firmware. 

To be honest, how many people you need to post on the Idea Exchange board, that Arlo will implement our request,

not just review, I mean actual changing the software/program. Just give us the actual number, it will fill up quickly.

Next time, when you say something, please make sure you mean it.

GaryBoisseau
Star
Star
Spoke with a technical support person in India. 1st he insisted that my firmware was the latest. When I told him that this firmware is bugged, he denied it. I could tell by his voice that he was lying. I pressed the issue and threatened to contact the BBB. He pit me on hold and came back. He admitted there is an update coming soon and that this update is messed up. If something happens and their system fails because of this, I am suing them.
dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

Hi everyone.

Per @ShayneS comment above, I created two idea's in the (idea Exchange Board)

The first is "Manual Firmware Update":

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/Manual-Firmware-Update/idc-p/1701868#M15669

The second is  "Roll back to previous firmware 1.12.0.1_27940 from current firmware 1.12.2.1_2798"

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/Roll-back-to-previous-firmware-1-12-0-1-27940-from-...

Everyone, if you want to support this idea's, please leave a "like" to each idea.

Per @ShayneS comment above, they are currently monitoring that board for the most liked features/requests.

Let see if she is telling the truth? Good luck everyone.