Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

Firmware upgrade again to 1.12.2.1_2798, causing the live streaming, image or recorded video downgrade, lower the resolution, is everyone having the same problem yet. the Firmware upgrade was yesterday midnight (May 21, 2019).

290 REPLIES 290
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@parsrgood

You are very welcome!, we are here if you have any further questions.

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ShayneS So this fix will include the option to disable Automatic Updates? Arlo has borked too many updates to not incorporate this.

Flumgren
Aspirant
Aspirant
The problem whit blur and pixelfail is stil there. When will Netgear and Arlo solve this? Give us back the old firmware.
Flumgren
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have same problem whit bad pixtures since firmware update. You guys are not alone
dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

@ShayneS  Can you answer mamarcac question above:

which is:

So this fix will include the option to disable Automatic Updates? Arlo has borked too many updates to not incorporate this.

Consider what your company is doing to us right now.

We can't live with another firmware updates in the future.

We have to stay and focus together about "Automatic frimware upgrade feature"

madkiwi
Luminary
Luminary

@Truus wrote:
No solution yet. I have tried to reset everything. Use different wifi and without wifi. But no result. Any tips?

Yes, here's a tip. Read any of the other threads here about this issue.

Then you would know the problem was a bad firmware update last week, and there is nothing you can do except contact Arlo and complain. Because apparently they believe it is only affecting a very few customers.

Until they fix the firmware and roll it out, nothing you do will change the situation.

NickSchreud
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem here. What would be the best solution?

manchester1
Guide
Guide

Not sure how something that was working perfect can get so messed up.   The picture and video was crystal clear.  Now it is so blurry and distorted.   I have recommended this system to many people and I hope this doesn't come back to bite me.  Please fix this.  Just leave well enough alone. 

SEWII
Aspirant
Aspirant

same here.

Has a wmb3010r2 and 4st arlo camera of the first model and 1st Arlo pro2.
All have a very bad picture and all of a sudden I got an Arlo smart subscription....
Is so **bleep**ing tired of Arlo with all the hard work it has been. Don't get this fixed before the weekend, I will buy a new system of another brand.
DO AGAIN DO RIGHT!
schreiblehner
Apprentice
Apprentice

Same problem here.

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

You and your customer support stated "There will be a fix available soon",  which you said 7 days ago. 

Are you going to repeat this again in 7 days and then another 7 days. 

As you can see from this post,  more people are responded from recent firmware issue.

We have the right to know which products (such as Pro ultra, Arlo Q) and

How many % is affected for Arlo wireless , pro and pro 2.

Can you tell us what bugs of old firmware did you fix,  that is so important that your company not willingly to roll back or restore the old firmwae for all of us? We have the right to know as consumer.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @JTRUE,

If you're still experiencing a lag with your Arlo camera, try to reboot your Base Station to see if that resolves the issue.

Lvegascott
Initiate
Initiate

I've got the same issues going on with my system. I've already done the re-set and uninstall-re-install with the cameras, which failed to resolve the issue. My video is all "Jerky" (not smooth) and the pixilation is pretty severe. I believe this has started as a result of the new update. I know because the problem started when the little yellow triangles started showing up asking me what zone withon the camra's vision field I wanted to set in order to activate the camera's recording. This sucks!!! Let's hget this fixed Arlo!

dahall11
Initiate
Initiate
As many others have reported I am also having distorted images both in recorded and live. I have preformed the same troubleshooting steps as others reboot, re-pair, etc with no luck.

Also, my geofencing mode is not disarming when I am back in range. It arms fine when I leave. I use this on iOS devices. This also just started after the most recent firmware upgrade.

Thank you
Demonviper
Tutor
Tutor
Netgear better send all of us on this thread a new set of batteries for each camera in our system because this firmware screw up is seriously killing batteries
dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

Don't waste you time.

First is to check your base firmware version, is it 1.12.2.1_2798?

If yes, you are like one of us that have blurry and herky-Jerky motion on your video.

8 days now, no solution in sight.

sfdfg
Star
Star

I'm pleased to see it isn't only my cameras that are now absolutely shafted!

I've got three standard Arlo cameras and an Arlo Pro. The Pro still seems fine but since this last upgrade, quelle surprise, the other 3 have become grainy, pixelated and jumpy. I've also had the whole system drop offline twice which has required a hard reboot to rectify and one camera in particular has seemingly crashed twice, requiring the batteries to be replaced each time.

We've had a lot of burglaries in our area just lately and the cameras are a good deterrent but to be honest, if anything did happen the camera footage would be absolutley useless, unless the police have some pretty good image recovery software that they'd be prepared to use for a domestic burglary!!

This is unacceptable from Netgear and it needs resolving ASAP. As others have said, what's so difficult about rolling back to the previously fine version of firmware we were all running on while they sort out these problems???

Demonviper
Tutor
Tutor
Yup the dropping offline was a PITA. Whats weird is that it happened like two days after the update not right away. Rebooted and reset every camera and then the geofencing and scheduling all out of whack. Recording everything and DRAINING BATTERIES.
47Davis
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having the same issues with all 4 of my Arlo cameras. Imagines are blurry an pixelated. Tried talking to Arlo support, wanted me to pay $49 dollars to fix. I declined that offer, since is was there issue with the update. I have tried to reboot cameras and base station with no luck. They need a new update on firmware or go back to old one that makes the cameras work. All the problems can after the firmware update. If any find a solution to this problem please email me: srd0323@embarqmail.com

MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

@Demonviper wrote:
Netgear better send all of us on this thread a new set of batteries for each camera in our system because this firmware screw up is seriously killing batteries

You have a good point here. 

We're paying a hundred bucks a year to run ten cameras of which seven (7) are basic arlos that are for all intents and purposes unusable. 

So, shouldn't we get a prorated refund for each camera each day of their being unusable? 

Come to think about it, what about the poor souls paying a hundred and fifty to run fifteen (15) that are all basic arlos??

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

According to other comments, that ring a bell.

According to Arlo's support, Chat support, this horrible firmware was sent to everyone at Midnight on Friday, which is saturday morning (May 18, 2019) between 12:00 AM to 5:00 AM, depending on your time zone and region.

However, video downgrades (Blurry and Herky-jerky motion) did not occur until Wednesday morning (May 22, 2019).

Why the firmware won't affect immediately right after Saturday, instead of Wednesday, it may be related to Arlo's file server, which is associated with this horrible firmware.

Now that we have actual time of event, can someone share you thoughts? what did Arlo company do behind us? How differcult for Arlo to roll back previous firmware, why is the reason behind all this?

Maybe you have some clues? Please share with us. Maybe we can get to bottom of this.

Lvegascott
Initiate
Initiate

I've just had a chat with an Arlo rep in their Chat suppport. Her name was Noreen S. She stated that they were working on the resolution, and that they would reach out to me via email when the fix was ready.  I recommend everyone chats and gets a case number documented to refer to, just like the case number she gave to me. She apparently was aware of the issue and apologized on behalf of Arlo.

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

I am sorry to tell you about this. They are here (the one that you can chat) to calm you down.

Yes, there is nothing wrong explain your problem and get a case number, but don't get your hope so high.

It has been many days and there is no fix in sight yet.

What they did behind us, they will never tell us, even if we have the right to know as consumer.

As of this moment, they insisted on rolling back effective old firmware. They always said that this fix is available soon, when?  

mykleg09
Tutor
Tutor
@dsiu2902 Wednesday/Thursday May 22/23 was when I noticed the downgrade in video quality. This matches with your timeline.
mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

This was never a "bug", it was a _feature_ they tried to sneak by us to save server space & costs. Once enough people figured it out and called them on their shady business practice, they've  now agreed to "fix" it "in the coming weeks". Days after the new firmware release, they had what 3 server offline issues? So they knew the servers were on the brink of collapse.

Someone in this thread posted their file size comparison between firmwares, the new crappy firmware file size was something like 1/10 the size of the one from the older firmware.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.