Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

Firmware upgrade again to 1.12.2.1_2798, causing the live streaming, image or recorded video downgrade, lower the resolution, is everyone having the same problem yet. the Firmware upgrade was yesterday midnight (May 21, 2019).

290 REPLIES 290
Minn12
Guide
Guide

YES! This just started happening to me also. My live views and recordings on my standard Arlo cameras have suddenly started to be very blurry and have herky-jerky motion. This have not happened to me before.  Before anyone says it's bad wifi, or dirty lens, let me assure you that is not the case. 

I own homes in 2 different states. Each home has 3 of the standard Arlo cameras and this problem just started happening on all the cameras in both homes.  This has to be something on Arlo's end. PLEASE Arlo investigate and FIX THIS!! 

Minn12
Guide
Guide

Example of the terrible loss of quality after the update. Same camera, same view. Before/After pictures. Videos taken after are far worse with bad blurriness and jerky motion. PLEASE Arlo, get this FIXED!! 

Before firmware update -sharp detail of grass blades and house.Before firmware update -sharp detail of grass blades and house.After update. Very blurry, loss of detail.After update. Very blurry, loss of detail.

Truus
Initiate
Initiate
What is the solution to this problem of having slow refreshing view in live view of the 4 cameras? It worked normal from the start but now all cameras are slow.
Red-red
Tutor
Tutor

I have the original Arlo cameras.  I have had my Arlo cameras since about 2015 and until now I have loved them.  But, all of a sudden all my cameras have poor picture quality.  I have been getting 720p.  But, all of a sudden for no apparent reason now all my cameras look as if they are 480p or worse.  Nothing has changed with any of their settings.  I have not moved any of them either.  The ONLY thing was I put new batteries in ONE of the cameras a few days ago.  But, all the other camers still have lots of battery life so no change to those batteries.  Just to make it clear... ALL of the cameras (even the one with the new batteries) look horrible all of a sudden.  What can I do to fix this?  

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

A simple and first thing to try is a reboot of the base... power off then on .

Wait about 2 mins for all to come back and test.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

@dsiu2902 wrote:

MikeBravo, do you have any problem with your system? what system do you have? is it the pro? or basic wireless?

Were you watch thru IOS or desktop? Which firmware version do you have? Maybe this can will tell us the some clues? 

We are running a Arlo Pro system consisting of three (3) Pro cameras and seven (7) Arlo Basic cameras. Our firmware version is the latest that you informed us of that apparently is causing the issue.

We view through a desktop, Android, and iOS.

MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

@Minn12 wrote:

YES! This just started happening to me also. My live views and recordings on my standard Arlo cameras have suddenly started to be very blurry and have herky-jerky motion. This have not happened to me before.  Before anyone says it's bad wifi, or dirty lens, let me assure you that is not the case. 

I own homes in 2 different states. Each home has 3 of the standard Arlo cameras and this problem just started happening on all the cameras in both homes.  This has to be something on Arlo's end. PLEASE Arlo investigate and FIX THIS!! 

You are correct in that it is not a WiFi issue as we are running at 300 Mbps off of very powerful laptop computers and the latest Android version.

We are also certain that it is a firmware issue in that several months ago Arlo upgraded the Android app and since then our ability to connect with our phones has been severely degraded. 

It appears either they can't fix this or won't.

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yeah this is an absolute joke, Day 6 and still no rollback to the old firmware. Makes you start thinking if they're doing this intentionally to reduce server space to accomodate all of the Arlo Ultra 4k "not getting 4k quality" complaints.

Arlo needs to clean house or get bought. Fire the developers/coders (as an Engineer I refuse to call them Engineers). Get new management. Make a website that doesn't use Flash, and an app that can load a Live feed faster than 15 seconds.

Looking forward to the class action lawsuit.

Tlopez89
Initiate
Initiate
So frustrating, also having the exact same issue out of nowhere. Yet no solution?
dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

Someone finally woke up and smelled the coffee. 

I totally agree with you that they deliberately did this in order to completely wipe out the wireless (basic) camera, so we can buy another more expensive system or saving cloud stoarage space for more expensive systems. 

The first two important issues have been fixed on Saturday (May 25, 2019), but our problem with blurry video and jerky motion are nowhere in sight. 

This is a joke. Arlo moderators did not reply to our message, where are they now?

Are they on a long term vacation.

parsrgood
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well said mamarcac. I'm trying to get a hold of Netgear support just to obtain a case #. I am not interested in listening to their psychobabble and jump through their hoops. Once that is done I will file a complaint with the BBB. I filed last year in march and I'm not sure if it helped but arlo did repair their botched update back then. If it is not fixed in the next few days I will talk to the lawfirm that is handling the class action lawsuit against the builder of our home. 

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

According to the parsrgood comment above, If someone is interested in submitting the case number, I have another post that give you every step how to do it. Let do it together, so all this issue can be solved ASAP.

The link is 

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/Roll-back-firmware-to-1-12-0-1-27940-amp-Remove-quot-automatic/m-...

parsrgood, if you do file a class action lawsuit, please let us know when. We like to participate with you. 

parsrgood
Apprentice
Apprentice

If a law firm were to want to take it on a Tort Lawyer would research and decide if it warrants a law suit. Which in reality is not likely to happen.  They would determine what arlo products are faulty and obtain a list of those who have purchased the product. The law firm would then contact all involved informing them that they may be entitled to some level of compensation. The main thing that's important is to keep this thread going and get as many reponses as possible to get Netgears attention and without a doubt file a complaint with the BBB. 

manchester1
Guide
Guide

This just started with all my cameras.

madkiwi
Luminary
Luminary

@jguerdat wrote:

All my cams are set for Best Video. What people seem to struggle with is how the cameras record and store. First, the lens is a fisheye lens with an equivalent of 10-15mm on a full-frame DSLR (depending on the model) - it's very wide angle. Then the original and Pro cameras are 720p - <1 megapixel - which results in quickly pixelating as you attempt to zoom in. Then add on fairly aggressive compression to save disk space and upload bandwidth. You're simply not going to get image quality comparable to even cheap cell phone cameras. These aren't ID-type cameras - they're a monitor-type. If you have doubts, download a high-quality fisheye image from the Internet, resample it to 1280x720 and then save it using a compression level that gives you approximately the same size file as what you get from your cameras taking a snapshot. Zoom in and see what you get.

Thanks for the attempt at imparting your superior wisdom regarding cameras. I watched your video, and it is awful. Much worse than what my cameras were managing- on Optimized.

All my cameras are the original Arlo and the resolution is far superior. No pixelation like you are exhibiting, if that's the best you see on a Pro set at Best video, you've got something bad going on.

Here's a video from before the flawed update from one of my Arlo cameras.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5j5evqghgeilatl/1555965176963.mp4?dl=0

What it does now-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vi3pb0ccl8i7blg/1558974735203.mp4?dl=0

parsrgood
Apprentice
Apprentice

Oops. I mistakenly mentioned Tort Law. I meant Class action Law.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo Development Team has identified the bug. We apologise for the inconvenience. We will be releasing a fix as soon as possible. Stay tuned for an update on this thread.

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ShayneS This isn't good enough. We need the option to disable Automatic Updates. And the Arlo team needs to test their releases.

madkiwi
Luminary
Luminary

@ShayneS wrote:

The Arlo Development Team has identified the bug. We apologise for the inconvenience. We will be releasing a fix as soon as possible. Stay tuned for an update on this thread.

That's ridiculous. Roll back the firmware update, then troubleshoot the many mistakes your "Learn to code" graduates made.

The release notes state this firmware was to add Alarm support (and "bug fixes"- j/k). Instead of adding "features" that most people have not asked for perhaps a working stable product should be the priority? Then if anyone WANTS your new features they can request/initiate a firmware upgrade on their own.

Hacoshar
Initiate
Initiate

Yes, the last week my cameras have all gone pixelated and blurry. I have tried resetting etc but no joy. Everything is the same it always has been but cameras clarity are shockingly bad. Not happy. 

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

ShayneS (Arlo Moderator), thank you for replying to us after 6 days.

1) After two horrible firmware upgrades within 2 months, each downtime is more than 7 days, which is ridiculous.

We definitely need the option to disable Automatic Updates. 

2) The Arlo engineering team needs to test their release on their company system, not on our system.
(We are not laboratory mice)

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks God, ShayneS (Arlo Moderator) is back after 6 days.

1) After two horrible firmware upgrades within 2 months, each downtime is more than 7 days, which is ridiculous.

We definitely need the option to disable Automatic Updates. 

2) The Arlo engineering team needs to test their release on their company system, not on our system.
(We are not laboratory mice)

Theroty
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a 4 camera Arlo system.  As of lately any recorded videos start out decent and then as the video plays on, its gets choppy and/or laggy.  I have restarted the base station as well change batteries in two of the cameras but the issue persists.  The base station is using firmware 1.12.2.1_2798.  I will attach a link to a video of the playback for reference.  As you can see in the video the flag in the wind is smooth, and then the playback gets bad.  Like I said, they all do this.  Is this a problem others are having?  I have not had any issues like this since I have owned this sytem.  Thank you.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vaVvSTaFFDfOkK5-3HxzCfFCm6t7k12_

timts
Tutor
Tutor

I've notice my cameras are doing the same thing.  I've also rebooted and installed new batteries.  Started doing this about a week ago!

@Theroty wrote:

I have a 4 camera Arlo system.  As of lately any recorded videos start out decent and then as the video plays on, its gets choppy and/or laggy.  I have restarted the base station as well change batteries in two of the cameras but the issue persists.  The base station is using firmware 1.12.2.1_2798.  I will attach a link to a video of the playback for reference.  As you can see in the video the flag in the wind is smooth, and then the playback gets bad.  Like I said, they all do this.  Is this a problem others are having?  I have not had any issues like this since I have owned this sytem.  Thank you.

@Theroty wrote:

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

Read the other post about blurry and jerky motion video for answers, some post already started a week ago.