Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

Firmware upgrade again to 1.12.2.1_2798, causing the live streaming, image or recorded video downgrade, lower the resolution, is everyone having the same problem yet. the Firmware upgrade was yesterday midnight (May 21, 2019).

290 REPLIES 290
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Wyze doesn't use base stations. However, they only record 10 seconds every 5 minutes. They can be good for certain circumstances but are hardly security cameras. I sold mine.

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

Yes. Check your base station firmware version, if it is 1.12.2.1_2798, then you like one of us who got mess up or hurt by this automatic firmware upgrade without your consent.

Nowhere in sight can this problem be solved. 

parsrgood
Apprentice
Apprentice

Please don’t let the subject of this thread drift. We aren’t debating the credibility of another product. A huge problem exists between Netgear and Arlo consumers. This forum is not about a substitute for a useless product. It’s about netgear making our existing cameras useful again. Hope this comment makes sense.

Dphfj40
Tutor
Tutor
I tried 2 minute manual recordings on pro set to best video and old arlo cam set to balanced pwr. Video looks fine, although no movement going on in frame. I just use 10 second videos to see if the cat is ok and house is ok when I'm out of town. I think factory reset was tried in some of the earlier posts and didn't fix their video problems.
parsrgood
Apprentice
Apprentice

They updated their app on iOS from 2.7.7 to 2.7.9. Sorry to say no visible difference. Still lagging live feed with serious pixelation. Nice try. Now why don’t you focus on reverting your stingy data saving firmware update back to where we actually have a functional product.

MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

@dsiu2902 wrote:

Yes. Check your base station firmware version, if it is 1.12.2.1_2798, then you like one of us who got mess up or hurt by this automatic firmware upgrade without your consent.

Nowhere in sight can this problem be solved. 

Right on the money. Thanks for the heads up. 

So, I don't suppose anyone knows a way to roll the firmware update back, right?

Hey Arlo, I'm not paying a hundred bucks a year for blurry pictures. 

Fix it.

wdmiramesa
Initiate
Initiate

Yes, it seems that after the VMB3010r2 update, the quality of video is terrible. I rebooted the base and removed/reinserted the batteries on the camera. Still nothing. I even rebooted my wifi router. I tested the speed and everything was well above what was recommended. I have five cameras and it's the case with all of them. So It must be the base.

parsrgood
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes. It's the result of a faulty base station firmware update released last week. 

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

Except for their engineering team, no one is allowed to touch their firmware. 

The scary thing is that for this "Automatic firmware upgrade", they know when you purchase your system and your account email, after the end of the warranty period, they can send a firmware (just for your system) that make your system completely useless, then you will eventually purchase another replacement/equipment, which is an after-sales strategy. 

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

The scary thing is that for this "Automatic firmware upgrade", they know when you purchase your system and your account email, after the end of the warranty period, they can send a firmware (just for your system) that make your system completely useless, then you will eventually purchase another replacement/equipment, which is an after-sales strategy. 

It has been 5 days now, and this "automatic firmware upgrade" is not allowed. Must be removed from the program.

Roll back or restore the previous frimware to 1.12.0.1_27940. That is the solution.

parsrgood
Apprentice
Apprentice

That is a interesting theory dsiu2902. Maybe everyone can chime in on when they purchased their system. I bought the 3 wireless cams with base in Dec. of 2016. I later got 2 more cameras. So....... when did y'all purchase your cameras? Maybe we can find a pattern. I'm sure if there is in fact a pattern, Netgear would rather right their wrong than to get involved in a Class Action Lawsuit.

glcjr
Star
Star

I work for a small software company as a C# developer that does custom software for local businesses. If I left one of our client's systems like this for an hour I'd be given the ax.

When errors arise, the first thing you do is roll back the **bleep** you wrote and get the system back into operation and then test test test test and fix. Then try again after you're sure you fixed it.

You don't leave a system down for 5 days and counting. This is outrageous.

Also ridiculous: no windows app, using Flash in 2019 when every browser is trying to wipe it from existance.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

My videos are fine so it's not like everyone is havigna problem. In fact, this place would be exploding with complaints if it were widespread. That doesn't help those that ARE affected, though.

My cameras spread a very wide time period of manufacture.

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

Can you give us some information about your system, what kind of base stationand camera do you have, what is the firmware version you are using? Are you watching thru IOS or desktop?

Can you share a link with the video (at least 60 seconds) that is after May 22 or May 23, 2019. We will take your word for it.

My previous point is that if they want to do this, they can.
But at this time, they are keep trying to doing with the new firmware which we are not feel confortable with?

parsrgood
Apprentice
Apprentice

dsiu2902. This forum is exclusive to the base station series VMB3000 (my HW version is VMB3010r2) and the wireless camera series VCM 3030 (my version is H7) and that's what I have.  The base firmware I have is obviously  the firmware that this thread is about. 1.12.2.1_2798. Camera firmware 1.3.314. iOS APP version 2.7.9 (90). I would think that since Arlo forces updates everyone on this forum is running the same. The faulty update has effected views on both web browser and iOS apps. As far as attatching a video. I would love to if my system were working. 

MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

@dsiu2902 wrote:

After what we've been through in only this short time, I would not be surprised. 

Coincidently (wink-wink) our three Arlo Pros are unaffected by this and judging by their lack of transparency let alone their unwillingness to embrace their responsibiltiy to engage us, keep us informed, and respond to our problems with some sort of expediency (hell, even Microsoft and Dell not to mention the devil Comcast have turned over a new leaf) they are to blame for all of us feeling this sort of suspicion.

Why so many of my critical posts having disappeared and I'm not the only one to complain of this, its pretty certain that they are in full circle the wagons mode. 

I don't think that they realize that when a more reliable equivalent finally hits the market their place is going to be a ghost town.

parsrgood
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sorry dsiu2902. I reponded off of a email and I thought you were asking me.  I just noticed you were asking jguerdat what system they are using. 

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

That's okay, parsrgood.

I want to askGuru jguerdat for his system information, because his system works fine, while others don't.
Maybe this can lead us some clues.

MikeBravo
Luminary
Luminary

A further update on the Arlo basic cameras showing blurry live video.

What is happening exactly to us is that when viewing the camera live the first few seconds are clear and then it blurs and stays that way, the motion jerky and stilted, though it acts like its trying to clear.

Oddly, recordings begin blurry and eventually clear up completely.

Don't get it.

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

This is all started with the new firmware upgrade to 1.12.2.1_2798 "automatic firmware upgrade by Arlo without your concent".

They do not  want to roll back or restore our old firmware, and they don't know how to fix. It has been 5 days now.

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

So far, here is the updated information as of right now:

I was informed that this latest horrible firmware 1.12.2.1_2798 will only affect three units:
Arlo wireless, Arlo pro and Arlo pro 2.

Arlo said that their engineering team is working very hard to solve the first two major issues
(no alert notification and no video recording after detection).
As of right now, Arlo says that they still do not know when these two issues will be resolved.
Forget the other important issues such as blurring videos and blank videos, because Arlo engineering team
will not work on these issues until the first two are resolved.

One person is not enough to change Arlo's policy. If you do not agree with how Arlo is treating you and
your security system, you need to stand up and support this action.
If not, Arlo will continue forcing these automatic firmware updates that will interfere and
halt your security  system connection and quality.

You need to open an Arlo support case with their live chat (See steps below).

1. Here is the link to Arlo Support Center: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx
  2. Scroll down until you see Live Chat Available
  3. Click on "START Chat" button
  4. Fill out your information as requested
  5. Click continue

These are the two suggestions and concerns, we need to send their engineering team for review:

1) Roll back the firmware to 1.12.0.1_27940.

2) Remove the "Automatic firmware upgrade feature" from the software/program.

Ask live chat staff to assign a case number to your two suggestions and then submit the request
with their case number to their engineering team for review.
With enough people complaining and sharing their experience, Arlo will consider our concerns
and issue proper implement to their policy.

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

So far, here is the updated information as of right now:

I was informed that this latest horrible firmware 1.12.2.1_2798 will only affect three units:

Arlo said that their engineering team is working very hard to solve the first two major issues
As of right now, Arlo says that they still do not know when these two issues will be resolved.
Forget the other important issues such as blurring videos and blank videos, because Arlo engineering team

One person is not enough to change Arlo's policy. If you do not agree with how Arlo is treating you and
If not, Arlo will continue forcing these automatic firmware updates that will interfere and

1. Here is the link to Arlo Support Center: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx
  5. Click continue

These are the two suggestions and concerns, we need to send their engineering team for review:

Ask live chat staff to assign a case number to your two suggestions and then submit the request
With enough people complaining and sharing their experience, Arlo will consider our concerns

dsiu2902
Luminary
Luminary

5. Click continue

parsrgood
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you for your research and status info. Arlo has moderators that oversee these posts. We as consumers have more important things to do than jump through their hoops and spend hours waiting to speak or chat with support. As I said earlier. This is on Netgear and thier subpar IT team that releases updates to firmware and apps without checking all the boxes. If they think that their customers have nothing better to do than listen to their generic responses, then they may just be getting too big for their britches and need a Class action Lawsuit brought before them.  This is the fourth time that my security cams have been rendered useless for weeks due to Netgears negligence. Could you imagine a baby choking to death overnight and it could have been avoided if the security Mama and Papa bought actually worked. Any reputable company would have taken care of this issue ASAP. But obviously Netgears crew doesn't work weekends, holidays or weekdays. Personaly I am saving all of these threads. I will be filing with th BBB and contacting a law firm in Los Angeles about the posibilities of a Class Action Lawsuit. 

mykleg09
Tutor
Tutor
I also am experiencing downgraded video quality. Power settings have been set to all options with no change in picture. Turned cameras off and on again. Reset base station. Is the issue being taken seriously? If I am forced to replace my camera because I cannot trust the video, I will not be replacing with any Netgear/Arlo product.