Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Firmware FAIL

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Mikex11
Aspirant
Aspirant
Arlo camera does not update firmware

Tried all evening enduring many 10 minute periods until the thing times out. Reset camera, removed batteries, removed device and re-synced, changed batteries, different locations, etc, etc, etc, no worky. Only get flashing blue/yellow lights for a few seconds and then  ... nada. My other two cameras updated OK. Othersie the camera was working OK.

This camera has firmware ver. 1.2.16720

What should I do now?

8 REPLIES 8
Mikex11
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well guess I'll just return the whole shebang because I can't get an answer from support.

ChevyMama
Luminary
Luminary

Looks like you've done everything possible. Did you put a paperclip in the little hole in back if your base station? Hold it for 30 seconds then resync cameras? 

I'm seeing different firmware numbers from different people, shouldn't we all have the same? 

My firmware is 1.10.0.8.22190 

Same issues, batteries drain, fails to record. Their updates have done more harm than good it seems. 

Mikex11
Aspirant
Aspirant

I didn't "paper-clip" it but I did  all the things any rational person would do before calling support which asks you to do the same things again.

check batteries

move camera

pull batteries and turn cam back on

re-sync camera

turn off base station

try firmware over and over

lather

risne

repeat

finally the camera simply stopped working

They do not have any magic solutions at support they simply ask you to do logical things that some people I guess do not do but most technically competent people do before wasting time on a support line.

IMHO this system has many bugs that need to be fixed. I got it because I thought it was mature, but I think I made a big mistake.

ChevyMama
Luminary
Luminary

@Mikex11  I hear ya! Well if you do end up trying the paper clip reset i  hope it works out for you. If you recently purchased the camera I'd send it back. I bought mine two years ago and have noticed their updating screws everything up! I'd do a return if I could. I just brought my camera indoors to babysit it and take notes of how many times it misses me walking right past it.

alcat
Luminary
Luminary

I did not receive a firmware request overnight. Is the issues resolved? I am cautiously optimistic and will wait and see how the next few days play out

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Mikex11,

The firmware update should complete on it's own overnight. Are you still experiencing an issue?

Check here to make sure you have the latest version available: Firmware Release Notes

JamesC

alcat
Luminary
Luminary

Yes the issue appears to be resolved. I will monitor for a few days but I suspect all is OK.

Follow up question - You said the update should complete overnight itself. I always have to manually start the firmware update. Is there an auto-update setting I am missing?

Mikex11
Aspirant
Aspirant

JamesC,

The camera got sent back to the seller yesterday. It was a Netgear certified refurbished camera. So I have no idea if it would have worked. I had already initiated a return process and wasn't about to muck around with that camera after spending hours and hours the other evening!

What the heck is going on with these firmware updates? Do they not yet have the procedure worked out by now? How is the average consumer supposed to treat these incidents?

Someone at Netgear needs to re-experience the end-user aggravations and make adjustments to their processes, because they don't seem to understand the frustration it's causing people!

Gah ...