Failed Internet connection but camera works

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Bobtobey
Tutor
Tutor

I have been trying to install a wireles arlo camera system for 2 days. I have gone through each step meticulously. My base is connected through an Xfinity wireless router. I am using Chrome and Windows 8.1 and have also tried Internet Explorer and always receive this message

"Your device is not connected. Make sure it's connected to your router and has a working Internet connection.""

The base's power light is on, the internet connection light is on and the synch camera light is on. I do not know what the other two items at the bottom of the base are for but they are not lit. One looks like a house and the other like a three-pronged plug.

I can go to my cameras and they are working but I cannot set the mode, etc. without getting a "no connection notice". I have switched the base (I had two), the ethernet cable and connection ports on the router. Nothing solves the problem. I do have a wireless Cannon printer but do not believe that that is the problem. I have tried calling the "support" phone line listed on the Arlo site but no one ever answers and it reverts to a beeping sound.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bobtobey
Tutor
Tutor

THE SOLUTION

My security system, Bit Defender (BD), was blocking the ability to access Mode orSettings. The simple solution was to go into Bit Defender and disable the Scan SSL function and then evrything works as it should. My next step is to see if I can enable BD Scan SSL again and White list Arlo. I may have to call support at BD.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The fact that the cameras are installed and working implies that something about your method of viewing the interface might be the problem. Are you using the app? If so, try reinstalling it. Also, try a browser or a different browser.

Bobtobey
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the reply J.

No, not using any app. I didn't think I had to since I am only viewing it on my desktop I do not have a cell phone. Do I still need an app?

I just went online to https://arlo.netgear.com/ and started with "new system startup" as stated on the right hand side of page 4 of the "Quick Startup Guide".

I have tried three other browsers to no avail. The light on the base indicates I am connected. Is Arlo not compatible with Xfinity wireless routers? Seems illogical since I can see the pictures from the cameras but cannot access them through the internet to make adjustments.

Bob

Bobtobey
Tutor
Tutor

Adding to the problem, the cameras now no longer work. And NO ONE will answer the support phone!!!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No, the app isn't needed, just another step in troubleshooting.  The multiple browsers essentially do the same thing.  Are you using the browsers at work or on a home network?  Work networks routinely block access to various sites and netgear.com could well be one of them.  If this is the case, you'll have to talk to IT to see about opening ports 80, 443 and 123 to netgear.com.

To determine if the router is the issue, you can contact your ISP for help. Do you have access to a different router to put in place of the Xfinity one for testing? That could be useful if nothing else helps.  Comcast may have different equipment to try, too.  However, as mentioned before, the fact that it works at all suggests it's not the router unless it's flaky.

As for the support number, are you using the one found at the bottom of http://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx which, for the US, is (408)-638-3750?

RmiThui38_Fr
Tutor
Tutor

Hello,

I have the same issue for 3 hours.

It is 2 months I have a 4 cameras system which works fine.

But today the system pretends it is "Offline"  and I can't adjust the setting of the detection sensitivity or stop rit.

I have tried to reconnect an hundred times from both smartphone with one account and from a computer from another one.

But the system is still on and connected :

The weather is so that 3 of my cameras are sending now 1 to 5 videos per minutes for 3 hours !

How can they do that if they are "Offline" ???

I get hundred of mails and I have turned my smartphone to silence mode.

Could you correct that problem ? Obviously something to fix on your server !!!!!!!

BR

RmiThui38_Fr
Tutor
Tutor

Hello,

It is back.

I did nothing but everything is perfect now. Back to normal. All features are ok.

Less than 30 minutes after my post.

Thank you.

BR

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Bobtobey,

Were you able to resolve your issue after contacting the support team? Please let us know!

JamesC

RmiThui38_Fr
Tutor
Tutor

Hello,

I'm curious too.

For me as I said, half an hour after my post everything was back to normal.

I can tell if someone have fixed something, but since then, I have the feeling that the system has even better time response.

By system I mean the user interface on my smartphone or on my computer.

Would be nice to know if something have been fixed and if it is important to report such issue, or if it was just coincidence.

RémiT

Bobtobey
Tutor
Tutor

THE SOLUTION

My security system, Bit Defender (BD), was blocking the ability to access Mode orSettings. The simple solution was to go into Bit Defender and disable the Scan SSL function and then evrything works as it should. My next step is to see if I can enable BD Scan SSL again and White list Arlo. I may have to call support at BD.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Bit Defender has had a history here of causing problems with Arlo.  Glad you found the cause!

Bobtobey
Tutor
Tutor
Use the following steps to correct this issue: Open the Bitdefender 2015 Window bitdefender1 Click on “Protection” bitdefender1 Choose “Web Protection” bitdefender2 Find the “Scan SSL” option and click on the checkmark to disable it. bitdefender3 Close out of Bitdefender and restart your internet browsers. The problem should now be resolved.
Jpedicone
Aspirant
Aspirant

I cannot get the cameras to connect.  The base staion and cameras were working fine and about a month ago they all stopped working.  Now the lights on the bottom of the base staion are green, yellow, greee and nothing connects.  Can you help?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The middle LED being amber is the issue - there's no connection to the Internet (perhaps more correctly, the servers). Power cycle the router and base, in that order.  If still an issue, try a different cable and router port.  Unless the port on the base is bad, that should fix the problem.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jpedicone,

Are you still experiencing the issue after trying the suggestions above? Please let us know.

JamesC

Cantseewireless
Aspirant
Aspirant

Software does not have a find function

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Umm - what?