Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Extend Range for Pro 2 Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
KD7CAO2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello to the Group:

I know your first thought is this request has been hashed out over and over again. The trouble is the answers don't actually help. My property is too large to connect to my cameras in the locations I want to connect to them from a base station that is in a single point of my house. I am trying to use my cameras connected to Power or Solar Panels in the corners of my property looking back towards the house. I am getting far too many alerts with motion zones due to the camera picking up road activity for instance.

Is there a way to extend the range of the Arlo Wireless Network? Not by moving the Arlo Base Station to a different location. It is not possible to put my Arlo Base Station in a single location and get coverage to all my cameras. As it is right now, one camera mounted outdoors is only getting a single bar of activity on average and the base station is in the middle between the four cameras.

I absolutely need to extend the base stations network. Surely Arlo has a way to do this. Surely you realize that for a business you can not cover the entire facility off a single base station. I have Ethernet Cat6e installed in various areas, if there was an extender that could be used on the Arlo side of the network I am very interested! I originally had a competitors brand of PoE cameras and while the cameras were decent their remote access was terrible. I purchased the Arlo as it was sold to me with the understanding it would work without an issue. I also have five Verizon Arlo Go cameras which are awesome so the centralized server is great. But the Arlo Wireless network needs to be extended to handle the connection of the cameras when they are too far away from the base station. Preferably and outdoor extender would be the way to go.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First, there are NO limits on the number of bases on any account level....

Nor is location an issue... you could run 5 bases in 5 diff states with one camera each and stay on free level.

Second, they do not have a weather proof base.... but I have seen some run in containers for weather.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@KD7CAO2 wrote:

Surely you realize that for a business you can not cover the entire facility off a single base station.

These are essentially "domestic" products. Business grade is something else.

@KD7CAO2 wrote:

I have Ethernet Cat6e installed in various areas, if there was an extender that could be used on the Arlo side of the network I am very interested!

Buy another hub and wire that into your Ethernet network.

I know your first thought is this request has been hashed out over and over again. The trouble is the answers don't actually help.

You don't say which answers you read any why they do not help, but you seem to have missed that suggestion. It has come up pretty often in the past.  Perhaps those answers do not deal with an issue that you left out of your first message. Come back if you need more details.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I absolutely need to extend the base stations network. Surely Arlo has a way to do this.

Yes, as mentioned, the ONLY true way to expand coverage area is multi Bases.

Ethernet can run to 300ft from your system and a few bases could cover most property.

Direct bury Ethernet cable is readily available. 

KD7CAO2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you. Yes I am already using direct bury Ethernet. I am also using a media converter and have Fiber running to bring Internet from a DSL provider to the property to get over limitations of Ethernet distance. 

KD7CAO2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you. The only answers I was finding were to use a WiFi to Ethernet Access Point to extend the Home LAN WiFi to provide an Ethernet connection for the base. 

One thing tech support had told me was you could only have a single base station on an account. You are saying I can have multiple without an issue?

Is there an outdoor rated base station that I am missing? 

The Arlo product is routinely marketed for business use. In fact I receive E-Mails to that effect on a routine basis to use for a variety of uses such as restaurants, retailers, and manufacturing. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First, there are NO limits on the number of bases on any account level....

Nor is location an issue... you could run 5 bases in 5 diff states with one camera each and stay on free level.

Second, they do not have a weather proof base.... but I have seen some run in containers for weather.