Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Tocker30
Apprentice
Apprentice
I know that Arlo recommends not to use rechargeable batteries, but prior to this update I was burning through batteries. It seems better post firmware update, but if these go quickly I may switch to rechargeable. Anyone have any experience with rechargeable batteries or any recommendations?
3 REPLIES 3
ReconyxSC950
Apprentice
Apprentice

Taking account the warranty aspect of using rechargeable batteries it's not advised. I only use Tenergy Lithiums batteries in mine. I buy them by the bulk. Using the simillar concept of game cameras, the video setting drains batteries much faster than still imagery by more than 50% or maybe more. 

Some things that effect drain, quality and money spent may vary by:

1. Brand of battery.

2. Battery protection circuit inside them.

3. Video record / duration.

4. Camera reception to the base station.

5. Video quality setting.

6. Router

7. Internet provider / mbps 

In the game camera industry using 4- Reconyx SC950 cameras, I use 12- AA Advanced Lithium batteries for still captures setting the camera on a 3 or 5 image burst that detects in a 1/5th of a second and can average 40,000 - 50,000 images = close to a year before they need replaced. The video portion I would suggest a solar panel or 12v SLA power because a 10 second clip of something isn't to my liking thus draining the batteries much quicker at longer video durations. That's the trade off using battery power for videos and set at 720 or 1080p.

I have my 7 Arlo's set on a 30 second record and use 2 different rules meaning a daytime setting and a nightime setting both utilizing 30 seconds record time but the sensitivity during hot summers here is set lower to avoid false triggers. Bugs seem to be the culprits in the night mode as I have the sensitivity on those 7 cameras pretty close to 99 for 30 seconds. 

A break in can happen anytime but, theives like the cover of darkness better so you have to amp up your detection force to stay ahead of the curve. I will later move to a hard wired exterior 1080p set up and move the Arlo's inside. As it stands now I have dual coverage using the Arlos on the structure and the SC950's as an outer perimeter circle looking at the structure. The outer units are in 12 gauge steel bear proof boxes, locked and 12' off the gound. 

With all that being said, I wouldn't advise the use of NiMh batteries because they don't carry the voltage power like the Lithiums do and give a false reading of battery charge on your level indicator and the other negatives listed above.

Would you rather spend the money on a great battery to watch the several thousands of dollars you're protecting OR utilize NiMh's and have a failure resulting in you having to re-purchase the several thousands lost in stolen merchandise or valuables going the easier route with the NiMh rechargeable batteries?

Pretty simple, I hope this helps you out.

yellowraregt
Guide
Guide

Also look at your specs on the rechargables.  Many are 3.7V not 3.0V like the normal batteries are.  This could hurt the circuitry inside the camera.  I've had many a device that works fine on recharables for the first couple of recharges...then the device fails because it can't handle the power of the recharable. Many recharables are higher voltage then their non-rechargable counter parts.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Lets put all this in order...

1) Netgear does not recommend rechargables any longer due to fakes, bad cells, possible fire using same in a Li-Ion format 123/16340 cell

This does not mean they don't work well, just that Netgear doesn't want to touch that area for the above reasons. You will be on you own if a problem occurs.

Also of note, the OEM cells shine in a spec usage of <5 min per day, the Rechargeables will out record in time amount, in a heavy usage situ. So each one has it's benefits

2) The 3.7v Li-ion cells work the best in Arlo cameras ( there are no Nimh cells in this format I know of and if so wouldn't have the cold temp life ) The cameras are allowed this input voltages. ( BTW OEM primary cells are 3.2v new, Li-ion cells 3.7v are 4.2 right off charge )

The battery algorithm was optimized back in late 2015 for OEM 3.2v cells and 3.7v Li-ion .... both read correctly on gauge now

If you want to go with rechargeables;

Read this, at least the last ten pages for most of the info about rechargeables....there are 64 pages

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Buying-Options-Tips/Rechargeable-batteries-for-use-with-Arlo-camera...

In a nutshell;

First, go back and read the battery thread FROM THE NEWEST BACK about 10 or so pages!

(Tho i do recommend readin all as a way to know how / why users ended up with 3-4 choice cells... knowledge is power.)

You will find info on the 3-4 well vetted rechargeables and chargers if you  want to go that route.

Not only that, You will find out the NO 123/16340 sized cell ( li-ion ) can hold more than about 750 mahr of chemistry.... Any li-ion that says over 800 is automatically suspect right off the bat.

Also you should be using the 3.7v Li-ion cells not the 3 or 3.6v cells which have lower rates AND some have been found not to work well.

LiFe04 type cells have given problems also when used in Arlo.

Don't FORGET, make sure the cells have overcharge/over discharge curcuit built into them

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------