Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

simonjf
Follower
Follower

I have just received an email about the End Of Life policy. If this is actually what is going to happen then I need to follow up with all my friends and family, social media connections to advocate against Arlo, and search for an alternative company and service, likely starting my own online storage service for them with appropriate security cameras.

Additionally, contacts at Arlo seem to be designed to prevent actual communication - which has the stink of a company that hates its customers.

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

New, updated information is now available regarding the EoL policy that is very relevant to much of the discussion taking place here in this community thread. These changes will allow Arlo legacy users who currently have 7-day storage service to continue receiving that service, uninterrupted.

I encourage you all to visit https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf and read up on these changes.

Thank you,

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hello Arlo Community,

With the recently announced Arlo end-of-life policy, we understand many of you are seeking more clarity and a path forward after your device becomes end-of-life. In the coming days we will be reaching out to impacted users via email with special offers. Keep an eye out for those emails as they will contain more details about these offers and instructions on how to take advantage of them.

For those who may not have read this new policy or have questions about how this may impact you, I encourage you to take a look here: https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf?cid=a&cid=a

If you've not received a discount offer via email, visit https://www.arlo.com/en-us/eol-offer-form.html and enter your email address, if your account is eligible you will then receive the discount offer via email.

Thank you,

JamesC

1,510 REPLIES 1,510
Kremmen
Guide
Guide

AFAIK our ArloQ's cannot connect to any hub ?

We are out in the cold

Mray009
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well this comes at an opportune time, my Arlo system (VMC4030) has been "buggy" a lot lately, namely shows "offline" but I still receive notifications when movement is captured.  I have been mostly happy with this product (which was not inexpensive) but now I have a reason to shop elsewhere.

FremereyCourt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, do you know if it's possible to remotely access the contents of a USB flash drive attached to the Arlo router?  thanks in advance.

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

@gmcjetpilot  Can you please elaborate as to what type of discounts Arlo offered you on subscriptions?

I have not received any email from Arlo regarding the EOL. My biggest concern is the outside cameras (Pro 2's). They work well enough for now, and I haven't really found options yet that are a lot better for my needs--every option requires  material compromises so far. 

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

@FremereyCourt  From what I've read and seen online, it's painful and not really feasible for a security set up, even if you have a smarthub that allows it. @StephenB  has written a couple detailed posts about it.  I think there's one a couple pages back, around January 30.

Greatscott2000
Tutor
Tutor

If your in Australia, click on this link and enter your email address.

https://www.arlo.com/en-au/eol-offer-form.html

There was another link for US owners and so on.

Greatscott2000
Tutor
Tutor

I'm aware that US owners were being offered 50% off replacement upgrade devices and 75% off their next 12 month subscription.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Some interesting news advertising arlo.

https://apple.news/AOeFnMhGmRQSCflUqxn5WTg 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Greatscott2000 wrote:

The original EOL policy states:

Legacy Video Storage (AWS S3) EOL Date Jan 1, 2024

It does. 

But info from Arlo (including @JamesC ) says that 7-day cloud storage for the VMC3030 and VMC4030 will end on their EoL date (1 April), even though the legacy video storage will still be running for the cameras with 1 January 2024 EoL dates.

arlosp
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi, I don't read their EOL policy the way that DannyBearAgain does.   Incidentally I have a mix of Arlo Pro and Pro 2 cameras.

The Policy document says that the Arlo Pro Camera (VMC4030)   "will be moved to EOL on April 1, 2023".  Fine.

Further up the page, in What will happen with my device or service, it says for a device that has been moved into EOL:

6th point:  "Services and cloud functionality MAY be reduced or unavailable for the device"

Note it does not say WILL.  I read this as implying that should the lack of support, updates, spare parts, impact the device (eg the Arlo Pro) then the above 6th point could apply.  But not necessarily if the thing keeps working!!

And for the Arlo Pro 2 the position is clearer because both the Device itself and the Service won't be moved to EOL until 1st Jan 2024.

Therefore my conclusion is that both the Arlo Pro and the Pro 2 Cameras will retain the free 7-day cloud storage until January 2024 (provided at least the Pro stays serviceable).

Would anyone like to comment?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@arlosp wrote:

Therefore my conclusion is that both the Arlo Pro and the Pro 2 Cameras will retain the free 7-day cloud storage until January 2024 (provided at least the Pro stays serviceable).

Would anyone like to comment?

@JamesC (representing Arlo) said in other posts here that your conclusion (though plausible) is not correct. 

@JamesC  wrote:

mamarcac,

Cloud storage and support for Gen 3 and Pro (VMC3030, VMC4030) cameras will end April 1st, 2023 as outlined in the table at the end of the EoL policy document.

JamesC

arlosp
Apprentice
Apprentice

So could I ask what Arlo mean by their statement: "Services and cloud functionality may be reduced or unavailable".

Using the word "may" implies that services and functionality will not necessarily be reduced or be unavailable.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@arlosp wrote:

So could I ask what Arlo mean by their statement: "Services and cloud functionality may be reduced or unavailable".

Using the word "may" implies that services and functionality will not necessarily be reduced or be unavailable.

You'll need to ask Arlo that (I don't work for them).  But the way I read it, they are saying that they aren't guaranteeing that any services will work after the EoL date, even if you get a subscription.

This is consistent with the policy statement

Arlo may in its sole discretion provide updates to, or maintain certain services for, EOL’d Arlo Products, but Arlo is not obligated to do so after the EOL Effective Date.

I doubt they'd intentionally break something for folks with a subscription, but they aren't promising anything.

VirtuallyMark
Star
Star

Apparently, in Arlo's book murder is acceptable. You kill something that means it's life has ended.  So they have complied with their promise of lifetime service.

VirtuallyMark
Star
Star

I'm sure this will have a detrimental effect on Arlo's stock price.  I don't know, but it might be time to short Arlo stock!

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

@FremereyCourt 

Regards access to the USB on the arlo Base station, arlo mobile app has this covered somewhat.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it-for-Arlo-video-recor... 

In my opinion it is very limited and clunky, suggest you read carefully between the lines.

I am hopeful that I can use my media server to store the recordings from the base station.

Currently looking into getting one of these, might be expensive but would recover the cost in two years of subscription then free.

https://www.plrelectronics.com/xcart/usb-to-wifi-wireless-usb-data-stick.html 

The main benefit, if it works will be that recordings are shareable. I may even be able to store them on my Apple cloud service.

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

@DannyBearAgain wrote:

@FremereyCourt 

Regards access to the USB on the arlo Base station, arlo mobile app has this covered somewhat.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it-for-Arlo-video-recor... 

In my opinion it is very limited and clunky, suggest you read carefully between the lines.

I am hopeful that I can use my media server to store the recordings from the base station.

Currently looking into getting one of these, might be expensive but would recover the cost in two years of subscription then free.

The main benefit, if it works will be that recordings are shareable. I may even be able to store them on my Apple cloud service.

If you're spending $275 on that usb device why not get something like the Reolink Argus Eco, replace Arlo and have native ability to read MircoSD recordings in their app? As much as I wished Arlo would allow usb access in the app for the older devices/hub so we don't have to landfill them, even if they did, the current system of port forwarding + vpn is ridiculous when other companies have the function baked into their firmware and app.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

While I see the effort ahead is potentially a waste especially if it’s not initially compatible or made incompatible by arlo going forward, I was keen to keep using the pro2 after EOL until arlo bricks them completely.

No doubt hindsight will decide how foolish it will be but I don’t have anything to lose and as you say arlo are well behind the competition with their flunky geofencing and featureless app experiements.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DannyBearAgain wrote:

Not sure, but the high price for yours might be because these are discontinued gadgets with limited supply. I saw some similar products about 10 years ago, but they never went mainstream

Sandisk had a wireless stick (Sandisk Connect) which is newer, but it looks like it can't be accessed from wirelessly and over USB at the same time.  Seagate had a portable SSD (Wireless Plus) which also couldn't connect to USB and wifi at the same time.  The Seagate product was actually a fairly complete (but slow) NAS.  I did purchase the Seagate, though I haven't used it for many years.

There are a couple of WiFi SD (and CF) cards that might also work with a USB adapter - potentially less expensive to try.  You plug in a microsd card, so it would be a bit clunky (USB adapter - wifi adapter card - microsd card)

I think these create their own wifi network, so it would only be local, and you'd need to connect to the card's wifi from a phone or PC.  There could be limitations on the microsd formats they support (and maybe the file types).

JumpShip
Aspirant
Aspirant

The discount offer for these devices that are being EOL does not include solar panels to replace the ones that will no longer work. There are better options out there, I guess I am switching to one of those.

Turbo2020
Initiate
Initiate

Arlo did not think this through.  Apparently they do not understand the power of word of mouth.  I have recommended Arlo to many families and know of at least 3 who have bought Arlo based on my rec.  Deciding to just stop the 7 day cloud storage is a breach of contract.  7 days of free cloud storage is the only reason I went with Arlo.  A class action is one approach.  Another, write to Costco and inform them they are selling a defective product.  It is defective now that they are taking away the very reason we bought them in the first place.  ARLO stock currently at $4.39.  It will take awhile for this news to work it's way through the system but it will work it's way through.  I hope you enjoyed the good ol days, Arlo.  You will not get any more of my money.  The end.

AbbeyMolly
Initiate
Initiate

Dear Arlo,

I have taken the time to read your announcement regarding the End-Of-Policy (EOP) and I’m completely appalled by your actions and lack of commitment to your clients, who purchased your products, which are sold above the competitive pricing on this type of products! Purchasing your products Arlo 3 and Pro (Arlo Base, Cameras, Extra batteries and even Solar Chargers) in 2018 and 2019 and having software and free 7 Days of Cloud service was the reason for purchasing your products. The EOP was never mentioned nor publicized in your marketing campaigns. And now, you are cancelling this service after my purchases, of only 3 and 4 years, is absolutely not acceptable. The online Cloud service with no fee must continue. This was your marketing strategy for selling your products.

I’m pretty sure your future Arlo Community, Social Media and Competitors would like to know more about this message that I received from Arlo.

Hoping that your EOP is a mistake that is being corrected for your clients.

Kind regards,

CL.

AbbeyMolly
Initiate
Initiate

Dear Arlo,

It’s clearly impossible to send information or talk with an Arlo Agent. So here my message in this Discussion Board.

I have taken the time to read your announcement regarding the End-Of-Life-Policy (EOLP) and I’m completely appalled by your actions and lack of commitment to your clients, who purchased your products, which are sold above the competitive pricing on this type of products! Purchasing your products Arlo 3 and Pro (Arlo Base, Cameras, Extra batteries and even Solar Chargers) in 2018 and 2019 and having software and free 7 Days of Cloud service was the reason for purchasing your products. The EOP was never mentioned nor publicized in your marketing campaigns. And now, you are cancelling this service after my purchases, of only 3 and 4 years, is absolutely not acceptable. The online Cloud service with no fee must continue. This was your marketing strategy for selling your products.

I’m pretty sure your future Arlo Community, Social Media and Competitors would like to know more about this message that I received from Arlo.

Hoping that your EOLP is a mistake that is being corrected for your clients.

Kind regards,

CL.

ltemma74
Tutor
Tutor

You sound like someone who has an ownership interest in Arlo.

ltemma74
Tutor
Tutor

Your observation that the cameras didn't go end of life but the free plan did is very astute.  Thanks for pointing this out.