Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

simonjf
Follower
Follower

I have just received an email about the End Of Life policy. If this is actually what is going to happen then I need to follow up with all my friends and family, social media connections to advocate against Arlo, and search for an alternative company and service, likely starting my own online storage service for them with appropriate security cameras.

Additionally, contacts at Arlo seem to be designed to prevent actual communication - which has the stink of a company that hates its customers.

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

New, updated information is now available regarding the EoL policy that is very relevant to much of the discussion taking place here in this community thread. These changes will allow Arlo legacy users who currently have 7-day storage service to continue receiving that service, uninterrupted.

I encourage you all to visit https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf and read up on these changes.

Thank you,

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hello Arlo Community,

With the recently announced Arlo end-of-life policy, we understand many of you are seeking more clarity and a path forward after your device becomes end-of-life. In the coming days we will be reaching out to impacted users via email with special offers. Keep an eye out for those emails as they will contain more details about these offers and instructions on how to take advantage of them.

For those who may not have read this new policy or have questions about how this may impact you, I encourage you to take a look here: https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf?cid=a&cid=a

If you've not received a discount offer via email, visit https://www.arlo.com/en-us/eol-offer-form.html and enter your email address, if your account is eligible you will then receive the discount offer via email.

Thank you,

JamesC

1,510 REPLIES 1,510
Smxcan
Apprentice
Apprentice

Not sure if there’s any right way to ask this, but @DaveWoj, almost every other post in this thread is from you. Can you please stop posting a reply to every single person here?  I’ve unsubscribed to this thread, but because of the new/duplicate account issue that occurred a couple of weeks ago, I can’t unsubscribe from my 2nd account.  I don’t mind reading feedback from different minds, but do you really need to share your thoughts to every single person like it’s a direct question to you? I know this might sound a bit off, but with all due respect, please understand that this is a thread for everyone to reply and is subscribed to by hundreds of people, it’s not a personal inbox. Thanks. 🙏 

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@Smxcan 

@cbaileyuk 

That's not true. I don't have a commitment to any system and I certainly don't work or get compensated by Arlo.

I've asked questions about other systems so that I can weigh the pro's and cons compared to what I have now.

I'm not opposed to any good options but none of them seem any better than Arlo.
I've already stated that I'm not happy about the EOL policy and I've had these cameras longer than most people on this thread so I'm not a newbie.

I agree Arlo reneged on a promise that was supposed to last forever, like eternity, infinite, never ending regardless of any circumstances. Never expires is a long time and that was their biggest mistake.
I just find it a little childish listening to many on here whining about how unfair the policy is and how they will "never" purchase another Arlo product as long as they live. 

Go ahead, see what else is out there, but do your research and compare everything. Subscriptions, features, security, access to local storage, batteries, alternative power sources and read the reviews and go to competitors forums to see all the positives and negatives.

Sometime the alternatives seems better than what you might have now, but switching to another company just because your're pissed off may not necessarily be the best option. I'm sure you'll find just as many unhappy owners from the competition who are looking for alternatives.

If you're all waiting for some compensation ($25) from a class action suit or hoping Arlo makes it right by reinstating the free cloud, you may be in for a long wait.

In the mean time, I'm done here.

I wish everyone good luck getting whatever it is they expect from Arlo or what they expect happens to Arlo.

smxcan; 90% of the feedback you enjoy reading is just everyone repeating the same thing and how they are upset with the EOL policy and how they will never support Arlo again and want to join the class action suit or hope Arlo tanks.

cbaileyuk; I guess you really weren't done yelling at me. I just think your feelings got hurt because I'm less than thrilled with Eufy.
Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

@DaveWoj  Thanks for sharing the link to the very recent article about Anker/Eufy. While I am intrigued by their products, there are key deal breakers for me that I can't get over at this point. One of which is data privacy; when under my control, my data and information are only shared on a "need to know" basis. Also, the lack of pre-recording or other benefits even when their battery devices are provided wired power. Though, I am quite curious to see what Eufy products will be carried by Costco. I can relate to your efforts in trying to process how to move forward. There's not clear path forward for me at this point either.

@Kremmen  Thanks for sharing your research on Google Nest and your SmartThings use. I was impressed by the Nest video quality in the LifeHackster youtube review, even at 1080p. And they are carried by Costco. But I can't currently get over voluntarily giving Google even more of my personal information. Plus the Nest cameras don't accept the standard 1/4 inch screw mount. I am thinking about replacing my indoor Arlos with Wyze the next time Costco has a sale on them. They were out of stock much of the time during the January sale. I've read that they work with SmartThings, which I will have to look into

I acknowledge that I have to make less than desirable compromises. Of course, my first preference is that Arlo does right by us.... However, I do find it helpful to read about other people's set ups and thought processes here and on other online forums.

cbaileyuk
Apprentice
Apprentice

@DaveWoj

We've got some progress there, "I'm done here" as you say dave 😄 bit of bandwidth back and you can save treading the same ground. As said pages ago...if eufy isn't for you move on. And now you are 👍

Back to Arlo and this contractual breach.

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

@JamesC  Can you confirm that for Arlo Gen 3 and Arlo Pro cameras, on April 1, 2023, if the 7-day Cloud Storage will stop working? The EOL notice is actually really confusing - it separates Hardware and Services. Hardware says cloud might not work, while Services says cloud will work until Jan. 1, 2024.

Can you help sort this out? Thanks.

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

@StephenB wrote:

@JD11111 wrote:

I can say that when my cameras stop recording on 1/4/23

FWIW, the KB article says that 7-day cloud recording stops on 1 January 2024, not 1 April 2023.

If the KB article is correct, there is still quite a bit of time for Arlo to provide some options here (discounts, etc).  And maybe improve local storage???

Do we have confirmation the 7-day cloud storage ends Jan. 1 2024 and not April 1, 2023? The EOL notice hints at cloud services not fully working, or ceasing to work.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@mamarcac wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

@JD11111 wrote:

I can say that when my cameras stop recording on 1/4/23

FWIW, the KB article says that 7-day cloud recording stops on 1 January 2024, not 1 April 2023.

If the KB article is correct, there is still quite a bit of time for Arlo to provide some options here (discounts, etc).  And maybe improve local storage???

Do we have confirmation the 7-day cloud storage ends Jan. 1 2024 and not April 1, 2023? The EOL notice hints at cloud services not fully working, or ceasing to work.

After I posted the reply above, I heard that the cloud storage for each camera will end on the EOL date for that camera.

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

@StephenB  Thanks for the reply. That's how I understood it but there's a post on Reddit today claiming Jan. 1, figured they misunderstood the details.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

mamarcac,

Cloud storage and support for Gen 3 and Pro (VMC3030, VMC4030) cameras will end April 1st, 2023 as outlined in the table at the end of the EoL policy document.

JamesC

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

@JamesC wrote:

mamarcac,

Cloud storage and support for Gen 3 and Pro (VMC3030, VMC4030) cameras will end April 1st, 2023 as outlined in the table at the end of the EoL policy document.

JamesC

Thank you for confirming. FYI I'm reading a lot of people online misunderstanding this, thinking it's actually Jan. 1 because of the EoL wording.

Kopacm
Star
Star

Thanks @JamesC .  @JamesC, are you able to re-verify specifically when free cloud storage will stop being provided for the VMC3030 and VMC4030 cameras?  The last row of the table in the EoL policy document shows an EoL date of Jan 1, 2024 for “Legacy video storage (AWS S3)”.  And there is also a Jan 1, 2024 EoL date listed for “free 7-day rolling cloud storage” in    https://kb.arlo.com/000063018/Arlo-Legacy-Cameras-End-of-Life .  Is the Jan 1, 2024 date listed in that kb.arlo article simply incorrect?   Thank you for your input,

securemyhouse
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did see where it said VMC4030P  was 1-1-2024. 

carrinrj
Apprentice
Apprentice

According to this article from Arlo, the 7 day storage ends on 1/1/2024....

For everyone's clarification there is a clear distinction between device eol 4/1/2023 and services eol 1/1/2024. 7 day cloud storage is a service and ends 1/1/2024.

It doesn't get any clearer than this....so unless someone from Arlo says the article is wrong...I would believe this article.

https://kb.arlo.com/000063018/Arlo-Legacy-Cameras-End-of-Life

Kopacm
Star
Star

Thanks @carrinrj , I would tend to agree with you.  The Arlo community manager and apparent moderator on this forum, @JamesC , mentioned a couple posts back that cloud storage for VMC3030 and VMC4030 would expire on 4/1/2023, which is why I am asking him to reclarify for all our benefit.  Either the kb article is incorrect or somehow we are misinterpreting it.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

The way I interpret the Arlo EOL policy is that the legacy 7days free cloud storage will end for the arlo wire-free(VMC3030) and arlo pro(vmc4030) Cameras on the 1st April 2023. That is nil access to library recordings.

For the arlo pro2(vmc4030p) Cameras and other cameras that featured the legacy 7days free cloud storage will end 1st Jan 2024. Again nil access to cloud recordings.

On the 1st Jan 2024, no arlo cameras will be using the arlo 7days free cloud storage platform so the service platform will be discontinued by arlo.

The camera hardware is considered EOL on those respective dates.

gmcjetpilot
Star
Star

You do have the option to PAY for storage going forward. They are offering something less than standard rates, for a 5yr commitment. I don't know if my Arlo Pro camera's will go that long. They are working fine now. Battery life still seems to OK. Frankly I am tired of the cameras and this company.  I have one EZVis and it gives notifications and stores info local, but can be accessed from your phone. They offer cloud for a nominal fee (less than Arlo). The EZViz is wireless WiFi but the one I have requires a power cable, a 5 volt wall wart. It is indoors for living room so power is easy to supply.  They have internal battery models as well as camera's that pan and zoom.

up_yours_arlo
Star
Star

Still being advertised as "Arlo Pro 2 comes with 7 days of free cloud recordings without a contract or a monthly fee" in Australia, on clearance sale.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/arlo-pro-2-wire-free-1080p-hd-camera-2-security-system

Angry22
Aspirant
Aspirant

Oh no so they won’t refund me then for mine I paid over $700 in Sept 2017 from Jb hifi ? 

Greatscott2000
Tutor
Tutor

This is an extract from a recent Arlo email: .....While it is true that on April 1, 2023 these camera models and some services will EOL, your hardware will continue to provide motion detection, push notifications, live streaming and the ability to record video to local storage (and use RATLS).

So this seems to imply local video storage will be ongoing. BTW, I got this from a Arlo special offer email they send to the US customers.

MLau
Initiate
Initiate

For a home security company to change its primary selling point (actually recording video) a mere year into buying the product is borderline extortion. And despite any efforts to speak to a representative, I'd have more luck trying to get a direct line to Vladimir Putin. Either provide customer service or please close up shop and shut down your racket.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Greatscott2000 wrote:

the ability to record video to local storage (and use RATLS).

So this seems to imply local video storage will be ongoing. 

RATLS is another name for direct access to local storage.  That feature requires a smarthub (VMB4540 or VMB5000), and will be still available without a subscription. IMO it is a rather poor experience.

The free 7-day storage that will be ending on 1 April for VMC3030/VMC4030 is not local storage - it is cloud storage.

Normandroy
Apprentice
Apprentice

The latest issue of Consumer Reports has an article on Security Cameras. In it they rate Arlo very highly. I wrote to them that they might want to reconsider their rankings in light of the current EOL issue we’ve been discussing here. Their response didn’t address the issue well, instead suggesting I contact the BBB, FTC, etc.

What I had asked was that CR reconsider their ranking or at least warn their readers about what Arlo is doing. Any other CR subscribers might consider adding their thoughts. 

JamesDavisPhD
Tutor
Tutor

I continue to voice my displeasure at Arlo’s decision to go back on its word and advertising promises through the disputes raised for my “case,” and I have observed that the spin doctoring is becoming more legalistic and more sophisticated.  There is all sorts of malarkey about “careful studies” and “obsoletion” intermingled with ostensibly compassionate language about our collective plight.  I see straight through this bull.  If you have a case on file with Arlo, continue to reply to their “investigations” of your complaints.  Each new tidbit of corporate silliness hammers yet another nail into their coffin and proves that all that is motivating them is greed.  I’m saving EVERYTHING.

Greatscott2000
Tutor
Tutor

Not sure we're you get that from.  The original EOL policy states:

Legacy Video Storage (AWS S3) EOL Date Jan 1, 2024

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

@Greatscott2000 

The way I have interpreted the policy is that the “AWS S3” is referring to the arlo cloud service platform which will not be used by any cameras post 1 jan 2024.

From the EOL policy page,

https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/Arlo_End-of-Life-Policy-2022.pdf 

Upon the EOL Effective Date, the following may occur for the EOL’d Arlo Product:

Services and cloud functionality may be reduced or unavailable (including without limitation the

uploading, downloading, and storing of cloud recordings)

From the EOL kb article.

https://kb.arlo.com/000063018/Arlo-Legacy-Cameras-End-of-Life 

Can I still use my EOL device?

EOL devices may continue to be operated by the existing registered Arlo owners to livestream video from the camera, receive motion notifications on their smartphone, and store video clips locally with a compatible Arlo SmartHub or Base Station.