Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

simonjf
Follower
Follower

I have just received an email about the End Of Life policy. If this is actually what is going to happen then I need to follow up with all my friends and family, social media connections to advocate against Arlo, and search for an alternative company and service, likely starting my own online storage service for them with appropriate security cameras.

Additionally, contacts at Arlo seem to be designed to prevent actual communication - which has the stink of a company that hates its customers.

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

New, updated information is now available regarding the EoL policy that is very relevant to much of the discussion taking place here in this community thread. These changes will allow Arlo legacy users who currently have 7-day storage service to continue receiving that service, uninterrupted.

I encourage you all to visit https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf and read up on these changes.

Thank you,

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hello Arlo Community,

With the recently announced Arlo end-of-life policy, we understand many of you are seeking more clarity and a path forward after your device becomes end-of-life. In the coming days we will be reaching out to impacted users via email with special offers. Keep an eye out for those emails as they will contain more details about these offers and instructions on how to take advantage of them.

For those who may not have read this new policy or have questions about how this may impact you, I encourage you to take a look here: https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf?cid=a&cid=a

If you've not received a discount offer via email, visit https://www.arlo.com/en-us/eol-offer-form.html and enter your email address, if your account is eligible you will then receive the discount offer via email.

Thank you,

JamesC

1,510 REPLIES 1,510
Skipster
Aspirant
Aspirant

This note is to ARLO corporate and to ALL ARLO users.

I have been using ARLO cameras at 2 different homes for close to 10 years.  I was “grandfathered” into the original system which did NOT require any subscription.  A while ago I DID have to upgrade one of my base stations to work with the new cameras (this was a long time ago) and I willingly did so to gain additional features.

I got the same EOL (End of Life) email that many of you also received.  While I am not opposed to upgrading to new technology and older technology not being supported, the first email we all received just indicated the the EOL was being initiated in April 2023.  It was very matter of fact.  This is my issue.  This process that ARLO is initiating was only thought thru with the idea that any user with affected equipment would have to upgrade as well as start paying a subscription fee.  This was done WITHOUT REGARD TO SUPPORTING ARLO’S CUSTOMERS.

Once the email went out, there were many questions, complaints with irritation, and objections.  Once this happened, ARLO decided they need to send another email and this time with some incentive to continue to use their products.

I have tried to communicate with ARLO with ZERO success.  As most of you know, IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO SPEAK TO ANYONE FROM ALRO.  Their overall customer care and support is among THE WORST I have ever experienced.

In order for me to continue to remotely view my triggered videos I would need to either purchase multiple new base stations and add memory or subscribe to their service any possibly buy new cameras.  In the email it indicates that one can only purchase 5 items at a discount.  I have cameras and base stations that go well beyond 5 so I am out of luck with the discount offered and cannot reach anyone to discuss this.

I am so disgusted with ARLO and their disregard for their customers (and I have recommended these cameras to several friends over the years and am sorry to have done so now) that I, personally, am going to replace all my cameras with BLINK camera systems.   I will never recommend ARLO to anyone again.  Not only that, I would dissuade anyone from considering them due to the terrible customer service and support.

NotHappyJan2
Initiate
Initiate

I purchased 4 cameras a few years ago, the end of life policy now introduced looks like a bait and switch scam. I paid $1500 for my system, and now if I want to see what triggered the camera I have to pay a subscription fee...... THAT IS NOT WHAT I WAS SOLD BY YOU..... I purchased it with the ability to see the previous 7 days videos. I love the system, it does what I need, I love the wireless connectivity and being able to easily move cameras around. I do not like being held hostage. If this policy continues, I will be buying a new system, and it will NOT be anything from Arlo, Netgear, or any affiliated companies. I also have Netgear routers and other equipment, I will never purchase them again. I will also be telling anyone and everyone through social media not to buy these products as they are sold under false pretences...... talk about planned obsolescence....... THIS TOTALLY SUCKS!!!!! I refuse to be bullied into a subscription service that I don't want, even $15 per month, and don't really care how much more it costs to replace this system. Every time I go to Bunnings, JB HI FI, anywhere I see Arlo being sold, I will tell anyone looking at cameras just how you conduct yourselves. End of Life means when the bloody thing stops working, not when you decide to turn it off to force people onto a subscription service!!! I'm guessing I'm not the only one pissed off....... Reverse the decision Arlo,

IanOFl
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just put a USB memory stick in the base station (if yours has a slot) to capture the footage and you won’t need to pay the subscription 

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Not to forget you can’t make any manual recordings or snapshots without having a subscription after EOL.

wojphoto
Guide
Guide

@IanOFl 

You make it sound simple but you should elaborate on your comment.

First of all, they isn't what 99.9% of the people on this forum are interested in. Local storage and cloud are comparing apples to oranges and I think it depends on the cameras and smart hub you have. Arlo Q's won't work at all.

"After you enable Direct Storage Access, your recordings are accessible when you are on the same LAN as the SmartHub. To access recordings when outside the LAN, we recommend enabling VPN on your router and mobile device to establish a secure connection to your SmartHub. Please consult your router manufacturer for specific configuration details."

iAMmeStyle
Aspirant
Aspirant

How about someone uses VMB3000?

This company removed everything from my account wow! I had to register for another username. I did not even post too many comments about the EOL BS. This company is just like China gov!!! OMG!

IanOFl
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok let me elaborate, you’re right.

You can buy a wireless USB flash drive which is wifi enabled. They typically come with an app. So you plug the wireless key in to your base station, and access the footage remotely via the third party manufacturer’s app. Yes it’s less convenient than accessing footage through Arlo’s own subscription, but it’s cheaper. And yes those who have a base station without a USB port will still be stuck. So it’s not a fix that will work for everyone, but it will work for some. 

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

In just 2 weeks someone has already developed "arlopi", which is a way to store Arlo recorded clips on a Raspberry Pi and salvage our hardware. Right now, again it's just been developed, the remote access to view clips isn't ready. I think this project shows the most promise - HomeAssistant integration is there as well.

https://github.com/tg9413/arlopi

carrinrj
Apprentice
Apprentice

My understanding is that these wi usb drives only connect to your home wifi and you cannot access it while away from home which does us no good. Please correct me if this is not the case.

jcclarkie
Initiate
Initiate

Will not but arlo again. EOL date april 2023. We used these cameras 2 years 7 months prior to the EOL policy taking place. Their EOL policy is unrealistic since many are sold post the last MFG date. The camera work fine and batteries still recharge. Dont buy arlo.  

Ironjedi
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I have to pay for a subscription now, that was free with the purchase of the cameras? 

I am pretty sure that illegal, it's started on the side of the box the free cloud storage would "never

expire" 

I really need to talk to someone please 

shoustonnz
Luminary
Luminary

When EOL comes. And I have to buy a subscription. Will geo fencing be fixed. So that it works. 

Or

Do I buy Eufy. 

FKUA
Initiate
Initiate

I believe ARLO is going to be sued, home security camera's shouldn't have to be replaced they are expensive. I put at least 1k into my system and now this. People ARLO isn't standing up to the agreement they made with all of us and the BBB and FTC (Federal Trade Commission Federal government) would love to hear from your complaint. 

FKUA
Initiate
Initiate

People Contact BBB and the FTC (Federal Trade Commission of the US of A, Feds take complaints like these serious), they are breaking their agreement with all of us who made them rich. Law Suit coming yippi ki ya:))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

BRoche
Guide
Guide

I was also disappointed about the EOL for perfectly working cameras, also about the FU rest of world offers only US customers. They may make an offer for other countries but too late for me now. So after a lot of reading, contacting friends with other brands, I am replacing my Arlo system with a new Eufy 3 system with doorbell. Sure will cost me, but so would upgrading the Arlo system and moving to a subscription.

I have been battling the geo fencing ever since I first got the Arlo Pro. It works, then doesn't, then does etc etc.

Unfortunately time to move, and Arlo won't care losing  some customers.

alrvor
Initiate
Initiate

Now the company have decided their own products are garbage.... never do business with Arlo again.
Goodbye Arlo and the planned obsolescence.
Hello Eufy.

Arlo_Since_2017
Initiate
Initiate

EOL for products is common and expected.  It costs a lot to retain engineers to maintain technology that is increasingly obsolete.

But this is not true for hard drive and cloud storage technology. It's the same-or-similar storage technology for all their cloud-storage devices.  So reneging on an offer of "If you buy our cameras, we will give you free cloud storage" is slimy, greedy, and unethical.  

We all have to deal with companies that EOL their products for legitimate reasons.  But we don't have to deal with companies that EOL their *agreements* for slimy, greedy, and unethical reasons.

But they're offering "discounts" if we stay with this company!!  Lol, I'm not even bothering to see what the "discounts" are. I'm out.

Technojames
Apprentice
Apprentice

JBHIFI have provided a full refund on all purchases of my cameras. I’m going in tomorrow to get the refund.

I did have to raise a claim with Fair Trading to get things moving but they know Arlo is breaching Australian consumer law.

I encourage all Australians to do the same thing. Contact the retailer then raise a case with Fair Trading if necessary.

Dholly
Guide
Guide

It’s ridiculous and should be illegal! 

I too will not be ongoing by upgrading my Arlo Pro cameras. 
I’m going with Ring! 

up_yours_arlo
Star
Star

Just got this.

Stick it, Arlo!  As if I am going to spend more money to be EOL'd again in a couple of years!!

"We sent out an email on 1 January 2023 regarding Arlo’s end of life (“EOL”) policy, which referenced that the Arlo Pro (VMC4030) and Generation 3 (VMC3030) cameras and specific cloud services will be EOL on 1 April 2023.

While it is true that on 1 April 2023 these camera models and some services will EOL, your hardware will continue to provide motion detection, push notifications, live streaming and the ability to record video to local storage (and use RATLS).

However, due to the age of these legacy devices, items like spare parts, ongoing firmware changes, repair services and exact replacements will no longer be available. And the services EOL means we will no longer support email notifications or short-term video cloud storage. As technology advances, transitions like this are inevitable, but we understand the frustration this can bring.

Many users have expressed a desire to upgrade to our latest devices and services. As a thank you for being a valuable Arlo customer, we are extending two loyalty offers. The first is 50% off ANY Arlo camera or video doorbell (limit 5 devices) available on Arlo.com — just click "Redeem Product Offer" and enter code at checkout to redeem.* The second is 75% off ANY Arlo Secure subscription service for 12 months available on Arlo.com.**

This provides a unique and compelling way to take advantage of our latest technologies and experience. We hope this answers questions you may have, and again thank you for being part of the Arlo family.

Sincerely,

The Arlo Team"

JPav80
Luminary
Luminary

My offer didn't include any discount on a subscription.  Why is that?  Only thing I can think of is the fact I was paying for a subscription on the doorbell camera (single camera subscription).   It is pretty irritating.  Either way I won't be taking their offer on the hardware.   I will use the Pro units until they EOL and see where things stand with the Pro3 units.   I would use the 75% off to continue a possible multi-camera subscription considering they decided to raise the price on everything, but now I am thinking I will cancel and try to get by using the limited remote access option to my base like I set up with the Pro3 units.   

I was at Costco this weekend and see that they were selling Arlo Ultra2 packages, but interesting that it was difficult to see anywhere on the packaging or signage that they required a subscription to actually be useful.   I informed a couple of customers that they should stay away from the Arlo products at this point.   I used to promote them, but now I am on the other side of things.    Also just to reiterate, Costco will take Arlo camera systems back well passed any 90 day mark.  

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

It is my understanding that arlo doesn’t consider global users as “Valued Arlo Customers” as their offer is only extended to users in the US as of end of December last year.

numb15
Apprentice
Apprentice

I reached out to Arlo about this on chat, they said they are still under discussions with their European subsidiary as to what offer to provide, something should come in the following weeks and months 

cbaileyuk
Apprentice
Apprentice

Any offers they may have don't interest me.

There's only one "offer" they can make to hope to hold onto any chance of forward relationship:

Comply with your previous commitments as we have repeatedly documented on this thread and elsewhere, from.your own (Arlo) marketing archives.... "A 7 day plan, that never expires". Never. Remember the word that YOU used to entice us into a sale Arlo.

Anything less than that, and my items are gone. As soon as the lack of remote access cuts in, via Arlo's forced obsolescence programme, I will remove these camera and replace with another brand. The Arlo brand will be simply, over, as far as I am concerned and I will warn others about the risks of relying on anything they promise.

numb15
Apprentice
Apprentice

Please do let me know of other camera brands that offer free cloud storage (even if only for a few days), I’m not aware of any so far