Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

simonjf
Follower
Follower

I have just received an email about the End Of Life policy. If this is actually what is going to happen then I need to follow up with all my friends and family, social media connections to advocate against Arlo, and search for an alternative company and service, likely starting my own online storage service for them with appropriate security cameras.

Additionally, contacts at Arlo seem to be designed to prevent actual communication - which has the stink of a company that hates its customers.

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

New, updated information is now available regarding the EoL policy that is very relevant to much of the discussion taking place here in this community thread. These changes will allow Arlo legacy users who currently have 7-day storage service to continue receiving that service, uninterrupted.

I encourage you all to visit https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf and read up on these changes.

Thank you,

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hello Arlo Community,

With the recently announced Arlo end-of-life policy, we understand many of you are seeking more clarity and a path forward after your device becomes end-of-life. In the coming days we will be reaching out to impacted users via email with special offers. Keep an eye out for those emails as they will contain more details about these offers and instructions on how to take advantage of them.

For those who may not have read this new policy or have questions about how this may impact you, I encourage you to take a look here: https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf?cid=a&cid=a

If you've not received a discount offer via email, visit https://www.arlo.com/en-us/eol-offer-form.html and enter your email address, if your account is eligible you will then receive the discount offer via email.

Thank you,

JamesC

1,510 REPLIES 1,510
DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@up_yours_arlo 

When does the voucher start?

Can you start is "after" the next 11 months are up so you can still get the free 7 day cloud or do you have a camera that ends in April.

up_yours_arlo
Star
Star

Good point, no start - or expiry - date mentioned.

"Thank you again for taking my call. As discussed, here is a one-time coupon code which you can use to subscribe to Arlo Secure Multi-Camera plan for the next 12 months at 100% discount."

Starts as soon as I apply it - assuming it doesn't expire - I guess.  No matter, I really don't want to concede anyway.

up_yours_arlo
Star
Star

Would anyone happen to know if these "wifi USB" sticks are compatible with VMB4000r3?

https://www.sandisk.com/goto/connect

Can I put one in the base station and at least access the recordings by Remote Desktop into a PC at home that connects to the USB wifi stick?

Do ethernet-based USB storage devices exist?

mmorrismm
Guide
Guide

What kind of BS is this? Arlo get your act together and take care of your existing customers and not one at a time to squeekeist wheels either! 

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@up_yours_arlo 

I'm waiting and using my cameras as long as I can this year.

A lot can happen before then and I would regret making any moves if they decide to back track on this policy.

mmorrismm
Guide
Guide

@DaveWoj 

Agree 100%

Jhallman
Star
Star

Actually there is nothing wrong with buying used Arlo cameras whether you want to call it the black market or not and expecting them to work.  It would absolutely kill the resale value of your product if it only worked for one user, or if you happened to change your account information.  I purchased a 4 camera ARLO Pro setup, and wanted to add extra cameras but by that time all the current ARLO cameras required paid subscriptions so I bought a second complete set of Arlo Pro2 used.  Arlo customer service would not let me put more than 5 cameras on the Pro base station without a subscription- i.e. if I paid they could make it work with the flip of a switch..... so I simply setup the second base station with a second account and got the same free 7 day cloud storage that it said on the box.  Annoying to have to log in twice all the time but as far as Arlo knew I did buy the second set new and they would not enable 8 cameras on one account unless I got a subscription.  I have been bombarded with offers to pay a subscription for services I don't need almost since I bought the first cameras so I'm not totally surprised that Arlo found a way to get rid of me as a customer.

chevelle1970ss
Guide
Guide

@DaveWoj 

Went with a google nest.  It has a ssd card which Shouldn't stop you if its for a seasonal  residence.  You should be able to access the videos just like if they were in the cloud.  How can we communicate, I'm setting them up this weekend.  I have a junk email I use so if you want to contact me there then meb007_1@aol.com...then I'll send you my real email and we can talk or whatever. 

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@Jhallman 

So you found away around it like I did.

2 accounts. 
but there is usually no need to log in twice.

share the cameras from one account to the other.

Did you try that?

Scotty52
Star
Star

Best Buy is running stock low as is Lowes and I think Costco will pull them off the market as they believe customers come first. Obviously Arlo does not. My crystal ball says Arlo will fold and I will replace all thruoit the year

plundevall
Aspirant
Aspirant

My previously reliable ARLO VMC3-30 cameras are no more after having moved house, as well as getting a new iphone and attempted to reinstall them. Lots of issues getting the ARLO system to accept my new trusted device. Then eventually after successfully getting the cams up and running on day 1 they are now off line on day 2 and my account login disabled incl. my password not accepted anymore. After reading the EOL policy I now understand I’ve been subject to subscription extortion by ARLO. This is criminal. ARLO, are you listening?  This is nuts and you’re committing corporate suicide. Watch this space.

Technojames
Apprentice
Apprentice

So in Australia Arlo have asked for my contact details so they can have a ‘chat’ with me. You know when they refuse to put things in writing that they are in the back foot.

I declined the chat and advised they can update the case.

They don’t have a leg to stand on with this. I’ll either get my refund or they’ll reinstate the cloud storage. 

rjc356
Tutor
Tutor

Are you able to share how you contacted Arlo Australia? Thanks.

ArloWTF
Tutor
Tutor

I filed a complaint with my local DCCA and I received a letter today from State of Hawaii RICO looping in the Office of the Attorney General in CA where Arlo is located. We all need to do our part to get the AG's to take notice.

Kremmen
Guide
Guide

I've looked at the other cameras suggested and most have reduced functionality. Geofencing is important as I don't want to have to remember to arm my cameras. I also want cloud storage as a local SSD could easily be removed by intruders.

I would have liked the ability to link to Smartthings as their geofencing is flawless, never failed. I've linked my Q's to Smart things and they turn on and off perfectly within seconds

I can't find any other cameras that ST can control.

After testing though, Google Nest can be geofenced via Google Home. Google Home Presence Sensing can be flaky but if you link Nest devices to PS it seems to be a lot more reliable so at the moment that's my intended route later this year.

Blink looks good but is only compatible with Alexa that I don't want and I don't think Blink has geofencing ?

prix57
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was looking at blink to replace my arlo as Costco sells them.  Anyone have any feedback on blink? 

I have 5 arlo pro 1 cameras which are set to be EOL in April, got them back in 2018.  I did get 4 of them including the base station from Costco. I also have the arlo video doorbell which I don't think has EOL atm but won't be surprised if they decide to EOL it in the near future.

This is very disappointing from arlo, I would have kept buying new and additional arlo hardware had they not pulled this bait and switch. 

Xomniuri
Initiate
Initiate

Arlo could not give two **bleep**s about their customers, this is all an excuse to abandon the 7 day free cloud recording that a significant amount of people use.

I for one would never have bought the 11 Arlo cameras and 3 base stations that i have if i had to pay for a subscription, i ab-whore the blatant money grab.

I don't want an update to new camera that i HAVE to pay a subscription for.

I don't want new arlo camera when my current ones work perfectly fine.

I don't want to keep using your brand now that i know you shaft the customers that bought and recommended your products to friends and family and made it a success.

What i want is for you to maintain the free 7 day cloud recording your promised would be available when i purchased you product, or at a minimum allow for alerts to be recorded locally and make those recordings viewable through the phone application.

OR provide a software to host my cloud server for the recordings to be send to and viewed through the phone application.

I'm beyond furious they you are going to make my recommendations of your devices and my own investment into your ecosystem the worst technology choice of my life.

Give me a partial refund, so i can give get some Ubiquiti cameras, at least they haven't gone for the monthly cash grab.

Netgear and Arlo, just lost a customer for life, i will never recommend any of their products ever again and tell everyone that asks about their products this store

p.s. nice that you have to pay for a subscription for any customer support.

"Hi this is Arlo we are here to help.... oh you didn't purchase the premium package we can't help you, good bye"

Technojames
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Kremmen 

I raised a ticket on the Arlo support site the minute it was announced. They offered me a free months subscription. I advised I‘ll be getting a full refund instead and would be taking it up with Fair Trading. About a week later they reached out.

Clearly they know they don’t have a leg to stand on in Australia. Fair Trading will deal with it or I’ll go to the Consumer Tribunal if necessary.

JBHIFI are investigating as well and have advised they think it is a breach of the ACL.

it will take time but if you’re persistent you’ll get a full refund on your hardware.

JerzeyJohn
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Zzzzzzzzzz 

Well said! I agree with everything you wrote/suggested in your post!

This unethical decision truly is a shame! I used to be a big advocate of them and recommend them to many people, but now I can’t wait to see this company tank- which it will.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@Kremmen 

I can't answer the geofencing on the Blink but one of the features I do use and want are cameras being able to trigger other cameras to start recording. I'm not seeing that with other systems.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@JerzeyJohn 

So then would it be possible for Arlo do declare bankruptcy, restructure and start over again?

If so, then all bets are off anyway regarding the EOL and Free 7 day storage since they would have no responsibility prior to the bankruptcy.

JerzeyJohn
Apprentice
Apprentice

@DaveWoj 

I’m way past the point of thinking they are going to reverse their decisions, or try to make proper concessions. It’s evidenced by the way they have deleted posts, and tried to suppress comments of angry customers. Their half-assed attempt at offering reduced prices on certain equipment really isn’t going to cut it… I think their new policy sets a bad precedent of being able to arbitrarily EOL a product whenever they want.

If they wanted to re-brand, I’m sure that’s possible. They wouldn’t be the first to do it (or attempt to do it). But what I was getting at in my earlier post, is that I’m pretty sure they are going to tank one way or another: Losing valued customers, products being pulled from shelves, bad press/news articles, bad business inquiries, and lawsuits… not just in the US, but globally. All of these things have already started to occur, and usually negatively affects the company one way or another. (It will be interesting to see their sales numbers next quarter). 

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@JerzeyJohn 

This whole EOL from Arlo could set a precedent (good or bad) for any camera company out there so it's difficult to know what direction to go.

Maybe Ring/Blink and Nest are more stable/reliable/honest companies and won't pull the EOL on their customers.

Eufy sells vacuum cleaners so they have that to fall back on.

We are only 3 weeks into the year so I think many of us just need to be patient, use what we have for as long as we can and then see what Arlo actually does in April.

I've seen over 1,000 posts on here but maybe 75% are repeat posters. There has to be tens of thousands of customers that this will effect and we don't even know if they have any idea about this EOL policy. I know of 2 friends who have EOL cameras that had no idea about the policy and most people won't find out until one day they just lose the function of the camera and the 7 day recordings.

JerzeyJohn
Apprentice
Apprentice

@DaveWoj 

You bring up some great points… and just because only certain customers are CURRENTLY affected (with the select makes/models ARLO recently informed us about), it doesn’t mean that people not affected right now won’t be in the near future. There are people who also have older products that will be EOL’d due to this policy in the future… we unfortunately are the ones with the “legacy” products the company is EOLing first. This, no doubt, will negatively impact thousands more users as well.

Part of me was super pissed when all of this happened… I wrote negative reviews, tried contacting the company, joined the Class Action, and re-posted all of the news articles  and negative press. But now I’m at the point where I just want to sit back and see how things play out, kind of like you mentioned in your last post to me. I guess we’ll see what happens in April.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@JerzeyJohn 

I hear ya.