Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

simonjf
Follower
Follower

I have just received an email about the End Of Life policy. If this is actually what is going to happen then I need to follow up with all my friends and family, social media connections to advocate against Arlo, and search for an alternative company and service, likely starting my own online storage service for them with appropriate security cameras.

Additionally, contacts at Arlo seem to be designed to prevent actual communication - which has the stink of a company that hates its customers.

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

New, updated information is now available regarding the EoL policy that is very relevant to much of the discussion taking place here in this community thread. These changes will allow Arlo legacy users who currently have 7-day storage service to continue receiving that service, uninterrupted.

I encourage you all to visit https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf and read up on these changes.

Thank you,

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hello Arlo Community,

With the recently announced Arlo end-of-life policy, we understand many of you are seeking more clarity and a path forward after your device becomes end-of-life. In the coming days we will be reaching out to impacted users via email with special offers. Keep an eye out for those emails as they will contain more details about these offers and instructions on how to take advantage of them.

For those who may not have read this new policy or have questions about how this may impact you, I encourage you to take a look here: https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf?cid=a&cid=a

If you've not received a discount offer via email, visit https://www.arlo.com/en-us/eol-offer-form.html and enter your email address, if your account is eligible you will then receive the discount offer via email.

Thank you,

JamesC

1,510 REPLIES 1,510
Srack
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Greggg 

Thanks for the Blink recommendation.

I’m going to buy it at Best Buy today to “trial” since they do easy returns on everything. Amazon Prime orders of tech stuff don’t accept working returns without 10% charge. But anyhoo, I’m going to give Blink a try. 

Will report back. 

tomrum
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 5 Arlo Pro2 cameras and have had them a long time. I have purchased a Eufy Standalone 2K camera and it is working great. Fast access to live view and fast to look at recorded clips. Way better Notification times too. $80 on Amazon.

There is no way I will pay for a subscription. Screw Arlo

Srack
Apprentice
Apprentice

@tomrum 

Is that the one with built in solar? I’m very close to “trialing” that one. 

I only worry about how many a Chinese companies have a footprint in our homes. Blows my mind that an American company can’t create a “Eufy” company. 

All of the electronics on Amazon from Chinese companies cannot be trusted in my opinion. But, we as a nation don’t take security seriously. If we did, my firewall would not be blocking 1000 port scans per minute by Russian GRU and IRA source IP addresses. America allows Russia to attack my Spectrum modem 24/7. It’s mind blowing how bad it is. But, that’s what we get with a non-technical soccer mom in charge of CISA who doesn’t know what an IP address or subnet mask is. 

up_yours_arlo
Star
Star

I have VMB4000r3 with 5 Pro's

Is there any way - any way at all - that I can access local recordings from my phone when I'm not home?

Or, is my only option to return home, unplug the USB and stick it in a computer?

EDIT: Apologies, I missed a page on this enormous thread that specifically confirms this to be the case. Great work, Arlo!  😞

carrinrj
Apprentice
Apprentice
  • No way...unfortunately . That's why Arlo needs to to extend our free 7 day storage for a minimum of 5 years.
up_yours_arlo
Star
Star

Lol, their website still says this:

**Arlo, Pro, Pro 2, Arlo Q, Q Plus, Arlo Go, and Arlo Baby have 7-day cloud recording and other cameras have 0-day cloud recording.
*** Arlo subscription plan prices are changing on February 3, 2023. Please visit arlo.com for details.

I did visit the website to see what changes on Feb 3, but couldn't see anything obvious?

ArloBlowsinCA
Tutor
Tutor

Great story! 

I ordered the Eufy too! We’ll have to trade stories at some point.

As I’ve said before: the best reply to Arlo’s short sightedness is through our wallets. 
Thanks for the ride Arlo…..

fancyme1
Aspirant
Aspirant

How do we join the class action lawsuit?

carrinrj
Apprentice
Apprentice
Kopacm
Star
Star

The moderators keep deleting the posts/links to the class action when they are put on this site.  Here is the link to the class action again:  https://classlawdc.com/2023/01/04/arlo-eliminating-cloud-based-security-cameras-free-services-featur...

If you don’t see the link, it is because the moderators have since removed it and it obviously bothers them.  Truth hurts, right?

Meanwhile, you can also find the link on the Reddit posts for Arlo at: https://www.reddit.com/r/arlo/

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DaveWoj wrote:

wouldn't there be a cost for a VPN

Note that the VPN you need isn't like NordVPN or ExpressVPN.  Those services tunnel your internet traffic to a server in another location, in order to enhance privacy.   What you need in this case is a VPN that terminates in your own router.  My own router (a Netgear Orbi) has OpenVPN built in.  In order to use this, I also need DDNS (allowing my PC and phone to reach the router using a name).  The Orbi also as a free service built in for that (which uses Noip.com).

@DaveWoj wrote:

since there are security risks?

Although I do think that a VPN offers better security than port forwarding,  I wouldn't say that port forwarding is insecure.  With port forwarding, you would be depending on the security built into the base to prevent hackers from somehow getting your videos.  With OpenVPN, you are instead depending on the security built into OpenVPN to prevent hackers from accesing your home network.

@DaveWoj wrote:

How "easy" is it to access a video outside my home network

This does depend in part on your router.  In the case of my own Orbi, the instructions for setting up OpenVPN and DDNS are available in kb.netgear.com.

But there are some networks where you can't reach your router remotely.  These networks use carrier grade NAT (CGNAT) or something similar.  Broadband mobile networks (for example T-mobile and Verizon's offerings) fall into this category, as does Starlink.  There are some other landline ISPs that also use CGNAT.

Also, while I can access my recordings using openVPN on my iPhone, I have seen posts from folks saying this doesn't work for them with Android.

@DaveWoj wrote:

With all the people asking about this to get away from the cloud, I highly doubt most are going to understand or even want to go through the hassle.

IMO, getting the subscription is simpler, and gives a better user experience.  

That said, many folks are already using direct access to local storage as an alternative to getting a subscription.  So it is an option (although there are some networks where it can't be used).  And of course switching to a different camera manufacturer is another option.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@StephenB 

Thanks for the explanation and information regarding the vpn.

I also have the orbi but I don't utilize that feature. I may be worth my time looking into it.

I agree the the cloud is the most convenient especially if I have a camera set up at a second location.

Nancy_L
Apprentice
Apprentice

30 minutes or a day is not what I paid for. I paid for 7 days free cloud storage and email notifications for 13 cameras and 3 base stations. I also have  2 brand new base stations as backups in case one should fail. I want what I paid for!

Cartero95
Guide
Guide

Screenshot 2023-01-10 164834.png

Their marketing pitch to convince us at the time to buy the Arlo cameras did not age well (screenshot from 2018 thanks to web archive).

- Why [...] pay expensive monthly subscription fees?

- Arlo Basic Plan gives you access to recordings [...] from the past 7 days

- And the Plan never expires

I am no lawyer but I can not see how this kind of bait and switch tactic can be legal.

cbaileyuk
Apprentice
Apprentice

It isn't legal. Its deceptive and will be found as such.

Arlo have a problem with this.

Zzzzzzzzzz
Luminary
Luminary

I did not receive the EOL email but just happened to see the EOL posting and have spent all night trying to figure out what was going on. I've read all 42 pages of this posting. Most of what I think has been posted in one way or another, but I'm replying just in case anyone from Arlo management is monitoring and gives a sh*t about customer feedback.

What a poorly thought out and implemented plan from Arlo!!!

We have spent over $2K on 15 cameras and accessories over the last 5 years, all of which are on the EOL list. We were willing to pay a premium for the products because of the 7 day free storage. As things stopped working, I was planning to replace with newer Arlo cameras. But I will not do that now because of this bait and switch and breach of trust. So, Arlo will lose out on all that future revenue. And anything that can be returned to Costco will be returned. Definitely would not have continued to add Arlo cameras had we known that the 7 day free storage would end--and so soon.

Making obsolete and unusable technology that was bought only 3-5 years ago is ridiculous! Not least of which is how horrible it is for the environment. The EOL policy also seems to describe Arlo's plan to stop supporting all their techology after a couple years going forward,

Why not at least offer us some sort of reduced storage (e.g., 2-3 days) and at a greatly reduced rate until our cameras stop working for our loyalty and support throughout the years and to give us a reason to replace our older technology with newer Arlo products? 1080p video for a few days can't take up that much storage.

We did not receive an email about the EOL on any of our accounts, and our emails do not work on the supposed coupon submission webpage. Such crappy treatment of loyal customers and poor planning and implementation. I used to think that Arlo was more scrupulous than Ring/Amazon, but clearly I was very wrong.

chevelle1970ss
Guide
Guide

Exactly what I wanted to say.  Just go with another camera solution that has the ssd card.  No more base station.  Out of my 5 camera, only 3 of them work reasonably (one disconnects all the time and the other had a red tint to the videos).

Buh bye Arlo.  You got me off the books, but there are better solutions out there.   Tell all the big wigs who clearly want everyone on a subscription model, its too late.  The subscription mode for video in the cloud is outdated.  You couldn't settle of a good things and existing profits.  Nope.  Had to grow the company which is the beginning of the end.

ildiavolorosso
Star
Star

I've been looking at reviews, and the Wyze cameras look like a good contender to replace my Arlos.

msazone
Luminary
Luminary

I suggest everyone don't buy eufy cameras. You don't want to be in a situation when the states blocking this brand.

Read this

https://www.channelnews.com.au/eufy-cameras-exposed-chinese-company-accused-of-lying-about-security-...

I am going to move to Blink when Amazon prime day.

carrinrj
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just filed complaints with the BBB of California against Arlo and the California Attorney General's office.

Here's  the link to the Attorney General's office. If complaining on this forum does get Arlo mgmt attention, perhaps the BBB and Attorney General will. Everyone please file a complaint...strength in numbers. 

https://oag.ca.gov/contact/consumer-complaint-against-business-or-company

carrinrj
Apprentice
Apprentice

Here is the link to complain to the BBB regarding Arlo

https://www.bbb.org/file-a-complaint/1126-1000061663

Please file your complaint...if nothing it can decrease Arlo's rating and document our complaints 

mmorrismm
Guide
Guide

My true opinion and suggested manner  in which Arlo should of handled this is to stop selling and remove  the cameras with promised free 7 day storage off the shelves as  soon as decided as you made your internal decision to EOL them. And then grand father all those that purchased those cameras with your promise and commitment to provide 7 day storage as to the higher cost Already included in the cameras.  I have over $ 1500 in the cost of those cameras already.  

Arlo's bone headed decision to handle in this manner forced the majority of your happy and committed customers to look Elsewhere as you showed ZERO integrity to your honorary customers that had already committed to your eco system only to lose them to your competitors.  Very stupid decision on Arlos part.  You lost faithful customers that would have no doubt upgraded to your newer  cameras with a subscription.  Let this be a lesson to you if you actually survive and remain competitive.  You have burned your bridges with  your Customers and client base which you could have saved without your arrogance and greed!!! Please forward to your leadership team that chose this route. 

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@msazone 

@StephenB 

Just remember, if and when you have a problem, you'll need to deal with customer support.

How accessible are they and will they be able to help?

Now Arlo suppost may not be great either but......... there are some "real" experts on here like StephenB that can probably answer any questions on issues you might have.

When needed, I've found this community invaluable.

I understand the frustration and wanting to change just to "stick it to the man", but the grass isn't always greener somewhere else.

chevelle1970ss
Guide
Guide

You are probably one of the employees.   

Listen Pal!  If they screw you over once, they'll just do it again.  Haven't you been paying attention?  Seriously.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@mmorrismm 

I may be wrong but the cameras have all been discontinued and there are no stores currently selling them.

The only places they are available are all 3rd party sellers and they can sell whatever they want. Arlo has no control over those sellers or anyone on ebay.