Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

simonjf
Follower
Follower

I have just received an email about the End Of Life policy. If this is actually what is going to happen then I need to follow up with all my friends and family, social media connections to advocate against Arlo, and search for an alternative company and service, likely starting my own online storage service for them with appropriate security cameras.

Additionally, contacts at Arlo seem to be designed to prevent actual communication - which has the stink of a company that hates its customers.

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

New, updated information is now available regarding the EoL policy that is very relevant to much of the discussion taking place here in this community thread. These changes will allow Arlo legacy users who currently have 7-day storage service to continue receiving that service, uninterrupted.

I encourage you all to visit https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf and read up on these changes.

Thank you,

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hello Arlo Community,

With the recently announced Arlo end-of-life policy, we understand many of you are seeking more clarity and a path forward after your device becomes end-of-life. In the coming days we will be reaching out to impacted users via email with special offers. Keep an eye out for those emails as they will contain more details about these offers and instructions on how to take advantage of them.

For those who may not have read this new policy or have questions about how this may impact you, I encourage you to take a look here: https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf?cid=a&cid=a

If you've not received a discount offer via email, visit https://www.arlo.com/en-us/eol-offer-form.html and enter your email address, if your account is eligible you will then receive the discount offer via email.

Thank you,

JamesC

1,510 REPLIES 1,510
Srack
Apprentice
Apprentice

I’m too afraid to invest in an Ultra system for 50% off only to have it kneecapped 4 years from now. 

KevMo2023
Tutor
Tutor

@Mark85  huge thank you.

Everyone else who is (also) upset about losing the free 7 day cloud promised by Arlo and now being rescinded, what other brand cameras are you looking at / considering that also do not have subscription?

i see a similar feee cloud no subscription set up with a brand called REOLINK but I don’t know much more about them, if they are good or bad etc. anyone know? 
Any other recos to consider replacing Arlo?

redsoxfan44
Apprentice
Apprentice

Here's a pic of "never expire" screenshot from the archives.  Also that camera comes with Basic Subscription

https://i.imgur.com/DjYlHzt.jpg 

Here's a screenshot that Basic Plan is $0 from the archived website

https://i.imgur.cohttps://i.imgur.com/rCBbd0l.jpgm/rCBbd0l.jpg 

Here's my original box of Arlo Q from 2019.

https://i.imgur.com/7mw1AoX.jpg 

LKT
Initiate
Initiate

I would not buy or recommend another product from Arlo.  I am stunned at how a company like Arlo can make such terrible decision.  Is this company run by a bunch of first graders?  

AD-UTAH
Initiate
Initiate

This is a classic planned obsolescence strategy.  The cameras are still functional and there are no reasons for the application/cloud storage services to become obsolete.  If my cameras become useless simply because of the firmware's planned incompatibility, I will avoid Arlo in the future and won't trust the company anymore (Why buy new camera's if the company will force us every 3 or 4 years to buy new ones?) 

"Unethical and unsustainable" should be Arlo's new mission statement!  It shows again that corporate greed leads the world.  

carrinrj
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for posting....I will foward to the lawyers 

gmcjetpilot
Star
Star

I never received a EOL email that JAMES C (Manger) said was sent out Jan 1. I get bunch of junk mail from Arlo. I am getting notified of post to this thread..... No EOL letter.

I found out when I realized they took away the recording times over 10 Seconds and was researching that.  Tried to use customer service chat and it said Persona Non Grata.... I don't have support (well before April) and if I'd like I can PAY FOR IT.... THEY ALREADY started shutting down services for my Arlo Pro's (VMC4030).  BTW I have used Customer Service 2 or 3 times in 5 years. It is not like I am needy. 

They claim they did not restrict time to 10 seconds.... right. Then they can't explain why the option is gone from my App. Then they say WE can give you longer recording if you pay? I HAD IT NOW I DON'T.  If they are going to screw you, that is one thing.... BUT BE HONEST AND STOP LYING.

Contact your State Attorney is a first easy step. As far as Class Action Law Suit (there is already one firm),  I SUGGEST you DO NOT Join a class action YET. Class action often results in plaintiff's getting peanuts but lawyers get rich.  Let Arlo figure out a way to make this right. In the LONG RUN it will be cheaper for Arlo to change their EOL policy to something more reasonable.  I would be happy with 10 yrs from date of purchase, continued 7-day storage, push notifications, and customer service support. Parts support negotiable. If Arlo decides to push this kick in the crotch of customers, then game on. Of course people will never buy Arlo again and will advise everyone to also avoid. 

WWayneS
Initiate
Initiate

Dear Arlo:

In light of your new End of Life Policy, I feel compelled to inform you of my End of Customer Policy which applies to vendors who promise something and then fail to deliver.

Some years ago I bought your not all that great system with a hub and three cameras, but it came with a 7 day storage of videos. You have now breached the contract we entered into with your emperious End of Life Policy.

I have choice but to end my customer relationship with you in return.

Kremmen
Guide
Guide

Very timely UK BBC article this morning :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-64210531

AmyArlo24
Tutor
Tutor

I read a line in the Yahoo News article that someone posted today saying that while we lose the 7 day storage, we can save to the base station. How though? I don't think I can save anything on my base station..that's why they gave us the cloud. Anyone know?

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Probably a arlo spokesperson to counter the flack.

No USB backup is available to the VMB3xxx Base stations.

The VMB4000 & 4500 Base stations record triggering cameras to the USB. Viewable only by ejecting USB and viewing on a pc.

The VMB4540 & 5000 Base station allows in app download of backup recordings (last 30days) to the mobile only. No friends sharing. No thumbnails.

None of the base stations will backup manual recordings or snapshots, these are only available for arlo cloud storage.

tiguron187
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased mine in July 2020, how do you think I feel.

Cartero95
Guide
Guide

Louis Rossmann picked up the story on his YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrtbYu1OYhY

Louis Rocks!

Pirate69
Star
Star

For all you folks who are expecting results from a class action, know that there is No Class Action at present. There are only law firms looking to sign up plaintiffs and class members. If a lawsuit gets filed, it will eventually get settled a few years later. The lawyers will get a boat load of money from Arlo and the class members will likely get a coupon worth $10-$50. That’s the way these things go down, boys and girls.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ArloBlowsinCA wrote:

Thanks for the ride NETGEAR.

Netgear divested Arlo back in 2018. They have no ownership stake in Arlo.

Pirate69
Star
Star

That’s not true. Netgear owns about 80% of Arlo stock.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@userpnw wrote:

When will 7-day free cloud storage be EOL? It seems unclear to me. 

I've heard

• 1 April 2023 for the VMC3030 (original Arlo camera) and the Pro
  • 1 January 2024 for the other cameras on the EOL list.
danwriter
Apprentice
Apprentice

True, but that doesn't account for the reputational damage the legal action could impose on Arlo and CEO Matt McRae. "Don't get mad; get even." — Joseph P. Kennedy Sr.

Cartero95
Guide
Guide

@StephenB 

Hi Stephen,

Even if Netgear divested Arlo, in my mind, they still share some responsibility as they were the one that first offered the free 7 day cloud storage and some of the other services being offered. 

The Netgear brand behind Arlo also contributed to the trust we placed in the product at the time.

danwriter
Apprentice
Apprentice

SAN JOSE, Calif., Dec. 31, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- NETGEAR, Inc. (NASDAQ: NTGR) today announced that it has completed its previously announced distribution of 62,500,000 shares of common stock of Arlo Technologies, Inc. (NYSE: ARLO) owned by NETGEAR, representing approximately 84.2% of the outstanding shares of Arlo common stock. After the completion of the distribution, NETGEAR no longer owns any shares of Arlo common stock.

https://investor.netgear.com/releases/press-release-details/2018/NETGEAR-Completes-Spin-Off-of-Arlo/...

If you think you're correct, show your source.

Pirate69
Star
Star

American companies face class actions all the time, without any fear of damage to reputation, except, perhaps in cases involving mass illness or death. Lawsuits are just a cost of doing business. Bombarding them with negative reviews will be far more effective.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Pirate69 wrote:

That’s not true. Netgear owns about 80% of Arlo stock.

No, they don't.  They gave it to their stockholders.

carrinrj
Apprentice
Apprentice

I believe the 7 day storage is until 1/1/2024 for all cameras on the eol list. That's what the pdf says when you click on the more info link on their eol email.

ArloBlowsinCA
Tutor
Tutor

Have already purchased a replacement system (local storage)... 1100$ NOT going to ARLO.

The best response is with our wallet.

Thanks for the ride ARLO....

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'm seeing an awful lot of ignorant comments on here directed at Arlo.

I understand the frustration, but many of you don't have your facts straight on who owns the company, what cameras are involved, when they EOL and even how they work.

Some of you don't even know whether you have local storage or what it is.

Maybe reading the instructions that came with the camera would be a good start, rather than asking the same questions repeatedly on this thread.