Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

simonjf
Follower
Follower

I have just received an email about the End Of Life policy. If this is actually what is going to happen then I need to follow up with all my friends and family, social media connections to advocate against Arlo, and search for an alternative company and service, likely starting my own online storage service for them with appropriate security cameras.

Additionally, contacts at Arlo seem to be designed to prevent actual communication - which has the stink of a company that hates its customers.

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

New, updated information is now available regarding the EoL policy that is very relevant to much of the discussion taking place here in this community thread. These changes will allow Arlo legacy users who currently have 7-day storage service to continue receiving that service, uninterrupted.

I encourage you all to visit https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf and read up on these changes.

Thank you,

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hello Arlo Community,

With the recently announced Arlo end-of-life policy, we understand many of you are seeking more clarity and a path forward after your device becomes end-of-life. In the coming days we will be reaching out to impacted users via email with special offers. Keep an eye out for those emails as they will contain more details about these offers and instructions on how to take advantage of them.

For those who may not have read this new policy or have questions about how this may impact you, I encourage you to take a look here: https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf?cid=a&cid=a

If you've not received a discount offer via email, visit https://www.arlo.com/en-us/eol-offer-form.html and enter your email address, if your account is eligible you will then receive the discount offer via email.

Thank you,

JamesC

1,510 REPLIES 1,510
AshTray900
Luminary
Luminary

Yeah really, everything relies on someone’s server now, I wish I could just host my own for my cameras on my dedicated machine and have it do all the work and forward notifications and allow playing from a phone app, I’m dreaming though.

I love how terminal services / rdp works this way, all I need is my own dns service from no-ip and direct connect to any service still old enough to support this kind of connection. Plex can still fall back on this method I think

definatly not wiring these cams, they are 8 years old and when replaced with whatever I know

the micro usb is a thing of the past…

secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Apparently Eufy has it's challenges, some users have home brewed their own solutions. 

Any new system under consideration will take a lot of research to minimize unpleasant surprises.

The grass is always greener, but that doesn't mean it's better.  Pros and cons with every system.

Mark85
Star
Star

What I ended up doing over the years, after getting tired of replacing batteries, was to get an electrical outlet near each of my cameras. I figured somewhere down the line I'd retire these Arlo cameras with some other wireless cameras so at least having a standard outlet gives me flexibility of adding whatever wireless cameras I want. Arlo or not, batteries all eventually die.

AshTray900
Luminary
Luminary

It’s just sad, I’ve always loved this setup, it was expensive at first but after a few years I signed up for the plan too.

I was getting close to downsizing the number of cameras but thinking I really needed two really great ones making me wiring 2 not such a pain, and with a wire, the arlos with lights and such looked enticing.

I would only pay for a system that would be supported like any other house appliance you would lay cabling for, until it dies.

nobody is going to cut my outdoor stereo speakers off, they are there until they die and they are 10 years old and still work perfect. I’m not modifying my home for things someone will just call EOL on. I’ve gotten the run out of mine around 7 years but since they were still selling the legacy systems as of today I completely know why everyone is totally pissed, even I would run the three non essential ones until the died but was considering two top featured ones to replace the ones that protect the front and rear of the house, the front is the most important, it sits there staring anyone in the face as they look at the house even from the street since I leave my security lights on and it works wonders letting me know when homechef dropped off food or my pizza driver is approaching or some goofy religious salesman or campaign guy is there and I can ignore them. It was also handy to see if it was my neighbor and how drunk he was and if I felt like talking to him at the time LOL

AmyArlo24
Tutor
Tutor

Looks like they updated the site a few days after you posted.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DaveWoj wrote:

Not sure if you were responding to my question to secaz but he said he had 17 pro's. They were sold as free 7 day cloud so I'm not sure why he ended up paying for a subscription.

The 7-day free storage has always been limited to people with no more than 5 unsubscribed cameras per account. (One exception - there was a brief special you could could get it with a 6-camera bundle).

So anyone with 17 legacy cameras would need a subscription for cloud recordings.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ArloWontCharge wrote:

Apparently Netgear retained a substantial ownership interest in Arlo when they spun it off. 

Not true.  Netgear did not retain any Arlo stock.  They distributed it all to Netgear stockholders.

MichaelRo
Apprentice
Apprentice

As entirely predicted.  Got the offer today. 
50% off any 5 cameras. 
75% off a subscription for a year. 

With cameras at approx so approx 200 bucks each, this means at least $500 bucks out of pocket, needing to pay full price for any cameras beyond the 5 (another $800 cost) and now paying a subscription (of which the increase rate of 12.99 will quickly wipe out the 75% savings).

So predictable.  So looking at paying $1300 and formally stuck in a subscription with a company who isn’t trustworthy and for a system which is perfectly functional right now.

#fail 

kymseidel
Tutor
Tutor

It's a really good reason to tell everyone you know not to but Arlo products. Unfortunately I have to face up some friends that brought Arlo products on my recommendation.

Here's the real reason this is being done: -

"These cameras also can utilize Arlo’s new cloud storage, which is available with the Arlo Secure subscription service, though the EOL’d cameras themselves may lose some functionality over time, as they will not be provided with further firmware upgrades."

The answer is MONEY as the older products utilise a free 7 day recording service.

kymseidel
Tutor
Tutor

It's a really good reason to tell everyone you know not to but Arlo products. Unfortunately I have to face up some friends that brought Arlo products on my recommendation.

Here's the real reason this is being done: -

"These cameras also can utilize Arlo’s new cloud storage, which is available with the Arlo Secure subscription service, though the EOL’d cameras themselves may lose some functionality over time, as they will not be provided with further firmware upgrades."

The answer is MONEY as the older products utilise a free 7 day recording service.

up_yours_arlo
Star
Star

yep, they can stick their offer.

If my cameras are all worn out after just a couple of years then spending a small fortune on replacing them only to have them expire in a couple of years seems pointless.

I won't be spending any more money with Arlo.  I will be looking for something better with a more trustworthy company...

kymseidel
Tutor
Tutor

I tried to contact Arlo via their web chat interface to pose these questions: -

Can you please direct me to the relevant Australian legislation that allows you to invoke your product end of life policy.

Can you also please explain to me how you think the policy will be embraced by your customers.

Sonos tried the same stunt and had to quickly reverse their stance

Unfortunately the Bot didn't understand and was unable to help

nddomer1999
Guide
Guide

I too am rather embarrassed that I recommended the very expensive Arlo products that still work very well to my friends and family and are being told that they are being EOL and now my friends and family are coming to me with questions about this. I also found out they have already increased their monthly subscription fees from 9.99 to 12.99 starting next month. I am already researching new products. I'd think I'd rather invest that subscription fee elswhere. I'm really disgusted arlo.

MichaelRo
Apprentice
Apprentice

More press…..

turning into a PR mess…..

https://lifehacker.com/it-might-be-time-to-ditch-arlo-cameras-1849945570 

KremmenUK
Luminary
Luminary

Walmart were still selling the Q until recently.

Free cloud recording on the box image as well.

Recent 2022 reviews often mention Kasa cameras. These are indeed fine pieces of kit but are no longer available in the UK as the first market to drop Kasa, others will follow as TPLink are merging Kasa with their reduced functionality Tapo.

I have a Kasa camera in my garage that has it's power on/off daily on a smart switch. It has a SDCard slot for recording, that can be viewed in the App, and when power is restored it fires up in about 20 to 30 seconds. Has motion detection and video streaming and is a fraction of the cost of these big boys.

I can also control the on/off via Smartthings so almost a perfect solution.

I'll run my Q's until they stop but I'm not buying any new Arlo kit until I know a new camera won't be crippled in say 4 years from purchase.

oldstoneface
Guide
Guide

Add me to the list of folks looking to switch to another platform. If I’m going to have to pay a subscription for all my cameras and also replace my cameras at my own expense, then I’m going to take the opportunity to find products that offer more bang for the buck (I’m sorry, but even at 50% off, they  are fleecing us as they waited until their Christmas sales ended so our 50% is like an additional 20% but still not as affordable as what we were seeing around the holidays from Best Buy and Costco. )

Now, which company do I choose? I love the all in one features of Eufy with no subscription…but I need something that integrates with SmartThings and they don’t do it. Besides Arlo, I know Ring and Nest integrate natively and Blink does with a bit more work. I really want something with a built in light and solar powered bundle, which they all offer as well as a doorbell, but I also don’t want to break the bank so I’m just going to see what deals pop up and pick the one that best fits my needs and budget. I’ll also try to sell my Arlo equipment to someone who doesn’t care that they are pulling this stunt and hopefully recoup some of my investment. 

secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It seems to me that there should be a law requiring manufacturers to clearly indicate on packaging that the hardware which one is about to purchase will effectively cease to function on such-and-such a date. Would need a solid expiration date, and not just indicate "four years" because you could buy NEW IN THE BOX Arlo Pro cameras, for instance, for YEARS AND YEARS. Even last year, and NITB box ones are STILL around.  And no consumer should have to stand in a store looking at cameras and be required to whip out their phones and research every single offering, right there and then.  Gobbling up their expensive mobile data while they do so.  Some people actually SHOP in stores and decide on items at a whim when they see them, and not having done days and days of nitty gritty research beforehand.

If someone bought an Arlo Pro new in the box, say, last year, they would have had NO IDEA that it would be EOL less than a year later.

In essence, manufactures should be required, in advance, to decide on an item EOL policy and make consumers aware that they will have use of their hardware until such-and-such a date.  They should be required to indicated this in BOLD PRINT on the front of the item's packaging, easy for ALL to read, not just 20 somethings with perfect eyesight.

Can you imagine how many people would NOT choose an Arlo camera based on that alone?

Seems like this is something which would be of interest to the consumer protection agency.

AshTray900
Luminary
Luminary

I’ve been a paid member for years. Nobody sent me the freaking 50% offer! I could actually take back some of my money and get a better camera plus solar, got 5 only need one. Been using mine for 7 years or so, I could drop a hundo and use all the excess extras as “dummy” deterrents and history data and have one that covers the entire front of the house now that they have better angles, which is the only one who’s notifications I want. Bet that email only went to current Arlo accounts that are not paid accounts lol, anyone wanna share the promo code pm me. I can drop a hundo and save it back in a year due to dropping monitoring to a 1 camera plan

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@Arlouser010523 

Could you define the systems that are superior and why?

And please keep the comparison apples to apples with the subscription cloud service.

Thanks

secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I've been paying since day one pretty much, and no one sent me a 50% off promo, either.

Don't feel excluded - I'll bet anyone who has paid for a sub for an eternity did not receive the offer either...

AshTray900
Luminary
Luminary

Exactly, so 3 strike rule?

1 call eol and get rid of free storage

2 up the subscription costs

3 offer no deals to current paid customers to upgrade hardware, just to those you threw under the bus and killed their 7 day plan

good god!

sad part is the lineup of products looks to be good as in hardware only, they have delt a **bleep**ty blow to every customer they have now. They either got the eol email of the rate increase email and their products are very expensive.

give me 50 percent and I’ll give you 150 for a better camera and a solar panel and I’ll take back 7 bucks a month by getting rid of the lower quality 1st gens and the pita of charging them all

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@secaz 

Since you haven't responded to any of my questions, I'll assume you won't to this either but......

If you didn't need 60 days of video, you didn't have to "subscribe" just because you had more than 5 cameras.

You simply could have has the additional cameras under multiple accounts and shared them to one account.

secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

BTW - what good is a subscription offer to all those losing their free 7 day rolling storage if their hardware is EOL...???

EOL is EOL - so if my Arlo Pros will continue to work with my subscription, that's not EOL, it's just end of support.

They still have to maintain their code to permit access by old hardware... and since they are allowing obsolete hardware to connect to their service so long as we pay for a sub, then Arlo has to ensure that our old hardware will still function with their service.

AshTray900
Luminary
Luminary

Wouldn’t having over 5 cameras on different accounts make application access a total **bleep**ing mess?

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@up_yours_arlo 

Many of you are comparing other cameras as a replacement.

The problem is, it isn't apples to apples.

No Monthy Fee, No Contracts, No Hidden Costs..............

Yes. and no cloud without a subscription.