Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

simonjf
Follower
Follower

I have just received an email about the End Of Life policy. If this is actually what is going to happen then I need to follow up with all my friends and family, social media connections to advocate against Arlo, and search for an alternative company and service, likely starting my own online storage service for them with appropriate security cameras.

Additionally, contacts at Arlo seem to be designed to prevent actual communication - which has the stink of a company that hates its customers.

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

New, updated information is now available regarding the EoL policy that is very relevant to much of the discussion taking place here in this community thread. These changes will allow Arlo legacy users who currently have 7-day storage service to continue receiving that service, uninterrupted.

I encourage you all to visit https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf and read up on these changes.

Thank you,

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hello Arlo Community,

With the recently announced Arlo end-of-life policy, we understand many of you are seeking more clarity and a path forward after your device becomes end-of-life. In the coming days we will be reaching out to impacted users via email with special offers. Keep an eye out for those emails as they will contain more details about these offers and instructions on how to take advantage of them.

For those who may not have read this new policy or have questions about how this may impact you, I encourage you to take a look here: https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf?cid=a&cid=a

If you've not received a discount offer via email, visit https://www.arlo.com/en-us/eol-offer-form.html and enter your email address, if your account is eligible you will then receive the discount offer via email.

Thank you,

JamesC

1,510 REPLIES 1,510
msazone
Luminary
Luminary

I am going to get a blink kit which has a sync module for storage. Maybe not the best camera system in the market but it's good enough for me.

CowdungMugsy
Initiate
Initiate

I still have till Jan 1, 2024, before some of my Arlo equipment (Q cams and spotlights) goes EOL.  If I lose any of the functionality I have now, including the integration with Alexa, then I will probably replace them with Blink.  I will keep the Arlo doorbells until they go EOL.  My primary decision to go with Blink is pretty much based upon the fact that I have several Echo devices throughout my home and, since Blink is an Amazon product, I hope to see stronger integration and improved response times.  Admittedly, at this time, Arlo has better specs on their products, but I am sure that a year from now Blink will have improved some of theirs.  Alexa provides the integration between the z-wave devices on my Honeywell/Resideo Security Panel hub and Arlo equipment.  If I replace the Arlo equipment with Blink then, I hope, it will improve functionality and service.  PS:  Guess I could go with Ring also, but they are too pricy.

MichaelRo
Apprentice
Apprentice

As entirely predicted.  Got the offer today. 
50% off any 5 cameras. 
75% off a subscription for a year. 

With cameras at approx so approx 200 bucks each, this means at least $500 bucks out of pocket, needing to pay full price for any cameras beyond the 5 (another $800 cost) and now paying a subscription (of which the increase rate will quickly wipe out the 75% savings).

So predictable.  So looking at paying $1300 and formally stuck in a subscription with a company who isn’t trustworthy and for a system which is perfectly functional right now.

#fail 

Flashfox_Prime
Guide
Guide

I just saw the EOL. I have 5x VMC3030 and one remote VMC3040r6, all of which are now slated for EOL.

Per ARLO's E-mail:

-----------------------

Can I still use my EOL device?
EOL devices may continue to be operated by the existing registered Arlo owners to livestream video from the camera, receive motion notifications on their smartphone, and store video clips locally with a compatible Arlo SmartHub or Base Station.

EOL devices can utilize Arlo’s new cloud video storage platform, which is available with the Arlo Secure subscription service. However, some features may not be available on EOL devices since these devices no longer receive software or firmware updates and are no longer supported.

-----------------

What's unclear to me is:

1. Does this mean that my local VMC3030 cameras and the base will continue to work locally?
    • Understood that it's just what's supported locally, and I do NOT see any option in my "base" to record locally. This is OK with me as I just want camera functionality.
  2. What happens if the BASE needs to be rebooted?
    • Will it remain activated as I believe it needs to connect with ARLO first?
  3. Does this mean that my remote Arlo-Q will also continue to work?
    • It's connected to a remote router and cable modem so it's unclear if it will continue to work as it's NOT local
AshTray900
Luminary
Luminary

Here’s my best guess

camera eol - they just won’t make any more firmware updates but the local system will function as is on your LAN

in reality - 7 day free plan is being terminated. If you let it lapse your app can no longer access usb recordings unless you have a specific base

if you change to a paid subscription you get a months recordings instead of the 7 that used to be free, you also don’t have a camera limit. Your camera system and app functionality will work just fine as it always has in this case.

camera - eol just means no more security updates.

plan change means pay up or all you’ll get is a basic recording system to usb where most of us will have to pull the stick to access the videos, email notifications will be limited or eventually gone without a plan too

secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Did Netgear have a non-compete with Arlo for 5 years after Arlo was spun off from Netgear??

Suddenly, today, I received a sales email from Netgear.

It came to my Arlo email address, which I do not use for anything else.

I run my own mail server and use a different alias email address for every service or online store .

Email came to Arlo address and says I received it because I had subscribed to Netgear updates and promotions.

That's a lie - I never subscribe to ANYTHING like that PERIOD.

Anyway, found this rather interesting in light of what else is going on, and the fact that it's been about 5 years since the split.  The length of time sounds suspiciously like non-compete. 

And I did buy my first Arlo cameras when Arlo was still owned by Netgear...

Also, I have never received email at my Arlo address other than emails from Arlo about my service and system...

So, curious, then, this email sent to my Arlo email address from Netgear...

Arlouser010523
Initiate
Initiate

What an absolute joke!

I invested 3 days salary buying a security system that, two and a half years later, has effectively been bricked.

With so many superior products on the market, who in their right mind would ever purchase anything Arlo?  I'll be telling anyone who listens not to go anywhere near this dodgy POS company!

GGF 

secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This may sound crazy, but I hope Netgear has been secretly working on a camera system during their 5 year split from Arlo.

Kind of think there was a non-compete in the mix there when they split.

Netgear always had great quality hardware.  The first Arlo cameras I bought were excellent quality compared to the ones manufactured when Arlo split from Netgear.

When I needed new Arlo Pro cameras down the road, I would buy refurbished ones in hopes of getting hardware revisions which were manufactured when Netgear was at the helm, which I did very often did receive.  Those cameras are seemingly indestructible...

ArloWontCharge
Star
Star

Apparently Netgear retained a substantial ownership interest in Arlo when they spun it off. I started getting Netgear promotional emails when I subscribed to Arlo. I didn’t make the connection until today.

secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

That's really interesting - and I haven't ever received a Netgear email until today, and I signed on with Arlo when it was still Netgear...

secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'm completely fine with local storage as long as I can view in a browser or app, I can view from anywhere...

I don't need my videos ported to the cloud...

KTwins
Initiate
Initiate

Me too, but is this possible? I don't think the app supports it. And they won't change that to make it easy for all of us to not pay for cloud storage. 
If there is another way (router settings, etc) to make this workable (viewing from phone), someone please let us know.  

My base station has 2 USB ports and I see how to set up local storage on the app. But not how to view it other than removing the USB drive and viewing on my computer. 

secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I bought initial system which was Pros back in, oh, 2016?  Little fuzzy, but wasn't all that long after they were released, but then I continued to add on, many  purchased later on were refubs because I wanted older hardware versions which were superior to the ones released after the Arlo split from Netgear... and refubs were a LOT cheaper...

I started paying for a sub when I had more than the allowed number of cameras without sub.  I also wanted 60 days of video, which they change somewhere along the line to 30 days...

secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I've had my system since 2016 or thereabouts, and I've been paying for a sub since forever almost... I guess I must be grandfathered in or something.  I have no idea what the new plans are. Back then I think theire were tiers for cameras, and when I exceeded 5, 10, whatever the breaks were, I would bump up my plan...

I started paying for a sub when I was over the limit for cameras.  It was 60 days video at that time, which I also wanted... but this transmuted into 30 days somewhere along the line.

I've never complained about paying for a sub, just don't want my old Pros to get the carpet pulled out from under them.  If they work with a sub, that's not EOL IMHO.

Flashfox_Prime
Guide
Guide

It would be GREAT if we were able to manage our Netgear base locally. In other words, disconnected from ARLO. I suspect that this is not possible unless ARLO opens the door, or someone comes up with a legal hack. After all, these devices are ours. Yes, technology is not eternal and they do become OBS quite quickly. But in this case, the cameras and base stations are very usable ... it's the ARLO servers that will no longer support them.

This is my second OBS bout with ARLO. I had the original system that was OBS'd, which forced me to buy the ARLO. They did offer a realistic upgrade discount, which is why I went for it. Let's see if and what they offer this go around.  

Kevinintx
Star
Star

From Arol:

Hi Kevin,

Arlo continues to bring new features and innovation to our security solutions including the rollout of Arlo Secure App 4.0, and we have a lot more planned in the near future. These investments and increasing costs across the industry mean we are making several changes to our service plans.

Your Arlo Smart Premier Single Cam service will change to $4.99 starting on February 3, 2023.* The price change will be reflected in your first billing cycle on or after February 3. Your payment method on file will be charged the new price unless you change or cancel your plan before the start of your first billing cycle on or after February 3, 2023...."

My reply was to cancel my subscription today and I bought a eufy Video Doorbell Dual (2K, Battery-Powered) to replace my Arlo Doorbell.  The package I bought has a Base Station to handle cameras when it gets nearer to April Fools day.  Remember to short this ARLO stock on its way to $0.

secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Everyone has a different situation.  I've been pay=ying for a sub since forever, and when my Pros stop working then I stop paying for a sub.  Pretty simple.

The software system I consult for, every version drops off support after two years.  Clients have to subscribe to use the software, they won't get support if their system has dropped off the supported versions list, but they can still use their systems - when they decided the don't want to pay for a subscription any more, then their systems go read-only after 30 days.  This type of arrangement is not at all uncommon.

I have the best security system in the world - two Jacairn terriers.  They are more reliable than Arlo - I can tell from their behavior what is out side, and even who...

So, if my Pros stop working, it's not an immediate big deal.  And I work from home, so doubly not a big deal.

And where I live, the sheriff won't do anything anyway unless someone points a gun in your face or pulls a knife on you.  The cameras have always been about letting me know who comes and goes, and who gets too interested in my property...

I'll eventually get another system, I've seen so many interesting ones on my travels will be hard to decide... but I'd like to ride out the Pros if I can... it's costly to replace 17 cameras...

up_yours_arlo
Star
Star

The Eufy Cam S330 4K comes with a solar panel built in and no subscription fees ("No Monthly Fee, No contracts, No hidden costs.")

Given I'm still gagging from the the bitter taste of what's just been shoved down my throat, Eufy looks like a serious contender.  Does anyone have any experience with them?

They look good!

secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It's pretty sad, but there's not much we can do... I always knew Arlo would eventually do this, though...

I received a notice that my plan price is going up, but it doesn't say anything about my plan ending when my cams and base stations go EOL.

Does anyone have clarification on that?  So much conflicting info... was under impression as long as you subscribe you can still use "obsolete" hardware?

Flashfox_Prime
Guide
Guide

... but eufy systems still need to connect to Chinese servers. No internet, no service, not even local storing. Their app is also from China. So, if this is not a concern to you, then fine. If it is, then caveat emptor!

secaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I won't be looking for cloud service as a requisite for a new system.  I don't need my videos ported to the cloud. 

AshTray900
Luminary
Luminary

I see the 2 pack of eufy cameras that have solar and everything built in, looks promising, I like the idea of no wires no charging. Don’t care if the Chinese see my FedEx delivery driver lol. But I want them to work if cloud is off, I want access from phone to camera with an app. I can port forward and already have dynamic dns services

does anyone have these? Range? Build quality? App access and notifications? Will they work if someone’s eufy server goes down somewhere?

right now discounted, unless Arlo emails me with some super deals I’m thinking of moving off them slowly. I really like the no charging I’m tired of charging my cams, enough that if the arlos were newer and I could access internal usb storage from the app I was thinking of wiring them in through the attic. I have 5 cameras and only need two, Arlo would practically have to give me a new base plus 2 hd cameras for under a hundo to get me to buy anything from them again

Flashfox_Prime
Guide
Guide

They don't stream the video, but they need to connect to their DNS servers in China. Their app also needs this. So no, the videos are not stored on-line but they NEED a connection to their Chinese server. This is a concern only if you are hesitant to have your system and app connect through a Chinese server. Also, as many eufy users noted: No internet (WAN), the system will not work. You cannot store video from the camera to the base via the LAN. It needs a WAN connection first.

I would love a system that I have full control over and that doesn't cost me thousands of dollars (pro systems) or needs to "call their home" (wherever that would be).

ARLO was a good compromise, and they are "local" (I live in Carlsbad and their offices are in Carlsbad CA, about 2 miles from me).

Chrisdemelo
Aspirant
Aspirant

evening y’all, so I just saw that arlo will be removing and limiting services on certain older products. I get that support for older products won’t exist forever but what I don’t like is the statement 

“these cameras may continue to operate after April 1, 2023” 

it’s inconsistent and doesn’t not fill me as a multiple camera owner and subscription holder for arlo products  of staying with the product

up_yours_arlo
Star
Star

Oh... yes that does concern me.  Damn!