Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

simonjf
Follower
Follower

I have just received an email about the End Of Life policy. If this is actually what is going to happen then I need to follow up with all my friends and family, social media connections to advocate against Arlo, and search for an alternative company and service, likely starting my own online storage service for them with appropriate security cameras.

Additionally, contacts at Arlo seem to be designed to prevent actual communication - which has the stink of a company that hates its customers.

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

New, updated information is now available regarding the EoL policy that is very relevant to much of the discussion taking place here in this community thread. These changes will allow Arlo legacy users who currently have 7-day storage service to continue receiving that service, uninterrupted.

I encourage you all to visit https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf and read up on these changes.

Thank you,

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hello Arlo Community,

With the recently announced Arlo end-of-life policy, we understand many of you are seeking more clarity and a path forward after your device becomes end-of-life. In the coming days we will be reaching out to impacted users via email with special offers. Keep an eye out for those emails as they will contain more details about these offers and instructions on how to take advantage of them.

For those who may not have read this new policy or have questions about how this may impact you, I encourage you to take a look here: https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf?cid=a&cid=a

If you've not received a discount offer via email, visit https://www.arlo.com/en-us/eol-offer-form.html and enter your email address, if your account is eligible you will then receive the discount offer via email.

Thank you,

JamesC

1,510 REPLIES 1,510
DPante
Initiate
Initiate

One of the reasons that I purchased my Arlo Pro system in the first place was because of the free 7 day storage policy.  Now they are taking this away in April.  Also, I thought that companies had to support a product for 10 years after they discontinue it, not 4 years like Arlo has implemented.  What a scam.  Perhaps a class action lawsuit is in order.

Scotty52
Star
Star

wuyze gets excellent reviews. I sat with the Costco manager and asked

him to remove Arlo. I will be dealing with Costco on the purchase of Arlis as Arlo clearly doesn’t care. I also see Arlo going out

of business

DWNZ
Tutor
Tutor

As of April 1 Arlo are creating a huge pile of E-Waste.  Are they making any responsible provision for the mammoth dumping of their products that will follow?

I left another brand of home security camera when they introduced a compulsory storage subscription and like many others in this Community chose Arlo for the 7 day free storage feature. I will choose another brand of security camera with free storage or one with a transparent paid subscription that I go into with eyes wide open. Arlo’s method of obtaining new storage subscription is total BS.

Seems like the worst ever kind of April Fools joke to play on a loyal customer base!

lwyrup
Tutor
Tutor

Yes I totally Agree this is shoddy way of running a business. Sell a non subscription security camera system with a 7 day free web based recording then pester the customers for 5 years with advertising email trying to sell a subscription without results. To finally just pull the plug and say hey the customers camera systems are starting to get old so hey we will only piss off  a small portion of our customer base in return at minimum 75% will end up buying the subscription in the end anyhow. Start End of Life Policy where camera systems may only be  I emailed them three years ago to see if I tried the Subscription for offered free trial and if then I decided against the subscription could I go back to the free cloud 7 say storage and I was oh no that isn't possible. Once you make the switch the 7 day free is gone for good. But they didn't advertise that part. Someone with the know how should start a class action against Arlo. This EOL policy is not right. A company that has been in this type of business for as long as they have been know better.

Skyranch031111
Tutor
Tutor

I will contact a newspaper to show how they deal with the customers

lwyrup
Tutor
Tutor

I bet in their master plan next week we all receive a "Special offer" on a subscription plan for all their Valued loyal customers to calm and entice us into a subscription plan. 

Jayfkuul
Guide
Guide

I'm all in on that class action.

wenklaw0042
Guide
Guide

Why are people making out that this April is THE BIG SWITCH OFF of legacy Arlo equipment?  April 2023 is the date certain legacy Arlo's are being declared EOL thus no support, no new firmware from April 23.  Free cloud storage IS NOT being removed until January 2024. 

Yes annoying but lets get the FACTS correct on this forum.

lwyrup
Tutor
Tutor

Here is some company info on Arlo via Wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arlo_Technologies#:~:text=Arlo%20Technologies%20is%20an%20American,maj....

Seems like they report 877 thousand subscribers to their service

ArloWontCharge
Star
Star

It’s not clear from the EOL policy when cloud storage will end for the older cameras. The policy says that, for the Gen 3 and Pro cameras, “services and cloud functionality may be reduced or unavailable (including without limitation the uploading, downloading, and storing of cloud recordings),” as of 4/1/2023. So I wouldn’t assume, for those cameras, that you’ll still have 7 day cloud recording for another year. Unless, of course, you pay for a subscription.

ArloWontCharge
Star
Star

Can someone who knows how to post on Wikipedia add something appropriate about this issue to their Wikipedia page?

MichaelRo
Apprentice
Apprentice

They will offer people a discount on new cameras (like 30-40% off) and maybe even a 6month discounted subscription. 

KEEP AN EYE OUT.  This is a trick. They are trying to get people to sink more money for products/services we already paid for. Then get you trapped into a “payment” plan (aka subscription). 

Yes moderators for the company (who are quietly listening as instructed). We aren’t that stupid. 

MichaelRo
Apprentice
Apprentice
Spoiler

Maybe next steps if they actually go thru this is some directed action against the company itself. We can screw them over just as they do to us.  Happy holidays to their families. 

get this on WallStreet Bets. The stock is on life support already.  

Epicrainbolt
Initiate
Initiate

I completely agree. That 7 day storage and other features was the huge selling point to me when shopping for my cameras. If I had known this was going to be the out come I definitely,  100%, would have went with a different brand of camera.  Any advice on how we fight this?

Srack
Apprentice
Apprentice

As a Arlo pro user since around 2016, I definitely understand everyone's frustration.

Arlo has had its nuances and quirks, but my system is running flawlessly - even with the original batteries.

I just signed up for the $9.99 because I'm not in the mood to spend $1000 on Ring cameras right now - even though I have a Ring Doorbell and pay $30 a year for it.

Arlo is fundamentally a great system. It sucks to have to pay for videos now, and it wrong for then to do this, but I have to keep this system up until I have the time, money to switch to Ring.

Arlo Ultra looks great, but if they kneecap today's Ultra Cams 6 years for now, I can't trust them.

I'll go to Ring eventually but will miss the simplicity and the generally reliable resilience of Arlo.

Its not too late for their product management to reverse the EOL notice. I think its the right thing to do. Or, lower it to less than $100 a year. That's insanely expensive for me when I delete videos the day i get them. I don't need 7 days.

I only need 7 minutes/hours.  🙂

arizala
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am not sure how to remove Netgear from my post. So let me clarify, we are being shafted by ARLO, not by Netgear.  More reasonable companies give you a credit for the old equipment.

DWNZ
Tutor
Tutor

Spreading the Word- Boycott Arlo

I initially looked to reply to Arlo’s email about the EOL POLICY. 

Of course it was a “no reply” because they did not want to be inundated with mail from angry customers worldwide.
While speaking out on in this Community forum confirms our dissatisfaction amongst ourselves we really need to put it out there and make it visible to everyone what Arlo does to its customers.
Use social media, friends, employment networks, consumer watch, general community notice boards or any other effective means of communication to make everyone aware of the deceptive practices Arlo uses to increase its revenue. Boycott Arlo.

Shaul
Initiate
Initiate

Working in the wireless internet industry, I have been recommending these cameras to customers for years... now I feel like an idiot. I hope this decision is reversed or modified, or the name Arlo will be forever tarnished. 

DWNZ
Tutor
Tutor

Spreading the Word.     (4030)

I initially looked to reply to Arlo’s email about the EOL POLICY. 

Of course it was a “no reply” because they did not want to be inundated with mail from angry customers worldwide.
While speaking out on in this Community forum confirms our dissatisfaction amongst ourselves we really need to put it out there and make it visible to everyone what Arlo does to its customers.
Use social media, friends, employment networks, consumer watch, general community notice boards or any other effective means of communication to make everyone aware of the deceptive practices Arlo uses to increase its revenue. Boycott Arlo.

Jeeplover
Star
Star

I am too.

This whole fiasco cinches it for me.

I am probably going to but a 3 camera Blink system. No subscription necessary and local storage.

TeeJay2022
Tutor
Tutor

We use Ring and Arlo (and Blink at a remote property) cameras currently . All have their own pros and cons. However if I had to give up one, I would miss our 2 Arlo Pro's the least actually.  'EOL' Arlo cameras without a subscription are stated to allow 'video streaming', but it was not clear to me if they will still record to local storage using the Arlo hub. And if that video can be retrieved via the app from anywhere or just from within the house. Anyone know? I would be okay with accessing video recording from within the house, and relying on our regular house alarm system along with Ring video cameras outside for security.

redsoxfan44
Apprentice
Apprentice
Jeeplover
Star
Star

Wyze is inexpensive, have some friends with them. On board storage via SD card in each camera and some messing around to find the trick, supposedly on their website.

Eufy is pretty expensive in my opinion but, the newer ones do have the ability to record to a laptop hard drive in the base unit.

Ring I think is subscription only.

Blink is the way I am going. My neighbor has some and they work well, rechargeable batteries and wireless camera's and local storage witha hub (sold separately $35 at Amazon, in most "kits")

The rest, I don't know.

antkho
Guide
Guide

Just purchased Lorex cameras from Costco to replace my old Arlo cameras. I am done with this phony company. They have lost all my trust. My guess is they were on their way to bankruptcy and this EOL thing will just accelerate it.

H1ram
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am an ARLO Pro 2 owner and just read end of life support message by ARLO. This is not what I would expect from a Company that is trying to compete with Google and other suppliers.  The very least ARLO could do is to offer current Older Camera users to upgrade and trade in their existing equipment for some type of credit towards newer models. That is what Apple and Windows does.