Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

simonjf
Follower
Follower

I have just received an email about the End Of Life policy. If this is actually what is going to happen then I need to follow up with all my friends and family, social media connections to advocate against Arlo, and search for an alternative company and service, likely starting my own online storage service for them with appropriate security cameras.

Additionally, contacts at Arlo seem to be designed to prevent actual communication - which has the stink of a company that hates its customers.

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

New, updated information is now available regarding the EoL policy that is very relevant to much of the discussion taking place here in this community thread. These changes will allow Arlo legacy users who currently have 7-day storage service to continue receiving that service, uninterrupted.

I encourage you all to visit https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf and read up on these changes.

Thank you,

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hello Arlo Community,

With the recently announced Arlo end-of-life policy, we understand many of you are seeking more clarity and a path forward after your device becomes end-of-life. In the coming days we will be reaching out to impacted users via email with special offers. Keep an eye out for those emails as they will contain more details about these offers and instructions on how to take advantage of them.

For those who may not have read this new policy or have questions about how this may impact you, I encourage you to take a look here: https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf?cid=a&cid=a

If you've not received a discount offer via email, visit https://www.arlo.com/en-us/eol-offer-form.html and enter your email address, if your account is eligible you will then receive the discount offer via email.

Thank you,

JamesC

1,510 REPLIES 1,510
wparker
Initiate
Initiate

Is there no hack to turn these into a closed system? using the usb to plug into a computer or bluetooth or anything?

(Really hope someone does start the class action suit. I, too, still have original boxes...)

LP79
Apprentice
Apprentice

For me a monthly fee is not okay. I don't need those extra features. EOL for firmware doesn't surprise me. I always expected this. I am not worried about people being able to view my cameras if such a bug was discovered in the future and I can easily isolate the Arlo hub to prevent intrusions into my network. 

What is unacceptable however is selling me a product that is clearly WAAAY overpriced for what it is (you can build equiv from parts for probably less than $20 each), because it comes with a service, and then arbitrarily creating a document dated Jan 1, 2023 stating that Arlo no longer has to provide the service portion for my hardware. This will not work out for them and in the end will cost them far more than continuing support. I am not surprised at all though as it has become very clear over the last few years that Arlo is being run into the ground by idiots with no innovation. They over promise and under deliver every single time.

MichaelRo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Accurate information is good.   It’s still illegal corporate action. 

LP79
Apprentice
Apprentice

Not that I am aware of. I have seen some videos in the past where people have been able to gain root access to the hub through physical tinkering, but the problem is that now you need to write custom software to create your own phone app and storage solution, along with custom firmware for all the devices.

This would be quite an undertaking and as far as I have seen, has not been worth it for everyone.

cbrauckmiller
Star
Star

Let's put things in perspective here.

Companies have no obligation to support products that are aging out.  They absolutely have the right to do this and they have to notify their customers of the impending EOL/EOS.  "Usually" most companies will do this 6 months out at a very minimum with many announcing EOL 12-18 months in advance.  Most good companies also will publish their EOL policy on their website. 

Clearly, Netgear screwed the pooch here in that they are only giving 3'ish months notice. While I agree that we spend a lot of money on this gear, we also have to realize how a cloud service provider works.  They have costs associated with running their business.  They are based in AWS and I can tell you that this isn't cheap.  We grumble and complain about the cost, but Netgear has a responsibility to their stockholders to be profitable and maintaining code for devices that are 8 years old is also not a trivial matter, especially if they are trying to innovate. 

I come from an IT background of both on-prem and cloud service providers and I've seen the ugly side of EOL's and pissed off customers...so I'm not going to completely dog-pile on Netgear for this.  I just wish they would give discounts to get you to upgrade. 

As others have said, if that doesn't happen, I'll be looking elsewhere as time goes on. 

I guess we need to add "EOL Policy" to the check list when buying security cameras that are cloud based.

cmstuard
Initiate
Initiate

Tremendously disappointed in Arlo regarding this new policy.  I bought these specifically due to the free storage.  Considering the initial expense, they obviously built the storage cost into the price.  It was their main selling point.  I won't be buying replacements, I won't be subscribing to the upgraded service and I will be switching to RING unless they make this right.  How could you ever trust a company that would do this.

cbrauckmiller
Star
Star

"Breach of Contract"?  lol

I bet that if anyone bothered to read the fine print in the 200 page EULA we all agree to when we signed up for the service, it has a provision in there that says that they reserve the right to change policies.

I can guaran-god-damn-tee you that the language in that letter was vetted by Netgear's legal department.

Trust me, I've worked in the IT field for 30 years for some global vendors of hardware and I know that this is how it is done.

Eh-hem.  From their terms of service page here : https://community.arlo.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/en-arlo-wire-free/message-id/84804

1. General

Your registration of the Arlo System through the Arlo Websites and Apps as well as use of the Arlo Services is subject to the provisions of these Terms. Arlo may at its discretion make changes to its website, policies, and terms and conditions including these Terms. Any changes made to the provisions of these Terms will be updated on the Arlo website, and we will notify you of material changes, e.g., by sending you an email or displaying a prominent notice in the Arlo Services. Changes will not apply retroactively and will become effective 30 days after Arlo provides you with notice of any changes to these Terms. If you are dissatisfied with any changes to these Terms, you may cancel your Arlo Services in accordance with Section 14 of these Terms. Your use of the Arlo Services on or after the effective date of the change to the Terms constitutes your acceptance of the Terms, as modified. Any software component embodied in the Arlo Services is licensed to you, and not sold

Doug_Phoenix
Star
Star

Others have commented on this previously. My understanding is that it's difficult to integrate with network-attached-storage (NAT) and that the video format is also an issue.

If you have a USB backup drive, formatted as FAT32, then you could store videos locally. But these would be inconvenient to access. I've read that resolution may be reduced (but have not verified as such).

Storing recordings on network attached storage dev... - Arlo Community

How do I set up local storage backups on a USB device using my Arlo base station?

sherm62414
Initiate
Initiate

We purchased and installed two Arlo Pro 2 cameras in 2018, then added a third in 2019.

Now we're told Arlo will no longer support these devices after a mere five years of ownership. While this type of change is not uncommon, it historically applies to outdated technologies and/or products which are well over 10-15 years old. The decision to desupport products which I purchased less than five years ago is irresponsible and reprehesible, demonstrating a complete lack of concern for customers.

Doug_Phoenix
Star
Star

Does anyone else remember this?

Doug_Phoenix_0-1672677012815.png

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@cbrauckmiller wrote:

Clearly, Netgear 

FYI, Netgear divested Arlo back in 2018.  So not Netgear anymore...

Scott_mc
Initiate
Initiate

I hope someone at Arlo escalates these feeds to upper management for a potential resolution. Otherwise I think this business model could be the ultimate demise of Arlo in this competitive market. With some of the most expensive cameras and systems to have a limited life cycle without support will drive most to a cheaper system that is ultimately more cost effective to replace with newer technology than the thousands I have spent on my system with several cameras and hubs. There should be a discount or trade-in program for the users who have kept Arlo in business. I was looking to increase my system further but after receiving this email on EOL policy, I’m looking for alternative systems now such as Vivint, Wyze, Nest. Would love for someone to escalate this in Arlo and get a raise for drawing attention to how unhappy current customers are. They will continue to get new business but return customers will diminish and eventually new ones will as a result. Here’s hoping to a better solution soon!

parker2
Guide
Guide

I have 2 cameras that were bought 3 years ago and are now EOL.   But I can top that....  Today I can still buy an Arlo Pro (4030) on Amazon.   So Arlo is EOLing products they are still selling through Amazon who is no doubt their largest channel partner.   Really an amature move Arlo.

dimochik
Tutor
Tutor

Dear Arlo, I've been your customer for many years and I recently received an email saying that I will no longer receive the features that got me into your eco - system in the first place. Specifically a free 7 day cloud storage. 

I invested a lot of time and money into setting up 5 arlo cameras (with solar panels) which is now rendering completely useless without the cloud storage. 

The quality of Arlo system and features is inferior to some of the other cameras out there. Your only real selling point was the free tier that you offered at the time. Now, you are not even honoring your grandfathered customers. Pretty **bleep**ty move in my book.

Also, your customer service is non-existent. Tried reaching out to someone. No way to call or chat with anyone unless you have the paid service plan.

I've had multiple issues with the cameras in the past as well as missing videos or some events not being caught on camera at all. I had to replace at least a few cameras due to battery issues, and some solar panels because they stopped working. Considering all that and a $9.99 a month per camera subscription plan - this is just a complete waste. 

Jharm
Tutor
Tutor

At the very least, Netgear should offer a substantial discount to incentivize existing owners to upgrade their EOL cameras. Otherwise, this change will serve to push many others (including myself) to look at alternatives from other providers.

Shaunzelv
Initiate
Initiate

You are right that lots of companies are putting fairly new products on end-of-life (like these cameras that were being manufactured 5 years ago and on store shelves for quite a while after that). The 'global conspiracy' is, to the poster's point, a signal to customer's investment is close to zero.

There should be a trade-in/buy-back program. Think of the goodwill that could be purchased with a simple program: Any user with an active subscription (Arlo is already getting my money every month) can go to their device in app or browser and click "Trade In". Get a $20 credit for the camera you used for the last 4 years ... and I would spend another $100 to get a 4k camera one at a time (and I have 8 cameras).

Instead, I'm left to look at the competition and realize that my investment to date is :

$800 for the base station and 4 cameras

$500 @$120 each for the other 4 cameras

$576 @$12/mo for the last four years

$1,876 Total Spend at Arlo

Now I have to decide where to spend my next $2,000

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

I understand everyone is upset and talking about lawsuits and such, and if I didn't switch to Arlo Secure plan recently, I'd probably be mad too, but with that said I can almost guarantee that all the agreements that we all agreed to just by just using their service has verbiage in it that says they can change anything they want whenever they want. SOP for subscription-based services.

I also see talk of boycotts and the like….. And each person should decide if they want to continue to do business with Arlo but to try and "cancel" Arlo because your mad is short sided. There are millions out there who like the service and shouldn't lose that just because you're mad. And remember we're talking about $120 dollars here, a dinner for 4 at an average restaurant will set you back $120 for one night, this is service for a year. And as far as the discontinuing of firmware updates, it's the same that google, or microsoft, or verizon, or att, or apple does. No company supports it software or hardware forever.

Great thing about the USA is we have the right to air our grievances, and if you look at my posts over the years, you'll see I have criticized Arlo MANY times, so I encourage the dialog and complaints.

So to re-cap, lawsuits doubt it. "Canceling"… let others enjoy the service, don't ruin it for them. Seems there are two choices, you either stay with Arlo and pay or leave and pay another company (at least for new cameras).

I started with Arlo in 2017, kept the cams as a backup and tried 2 other brands over the years because of the issues arlo had early on, but eventually came back to Arlo. Is the service perfect, no, but it's way better than it was 3-5 years ago.

Hope everyone resolves this situation for what works best for them. Happy New Year.

Jharm
Tutor
Tutor

Given the recent announcement on the EOL Policy for the Gen 3 cameras, will there be a discounted offering for newer or replacement cameras to incentivize replacement, and keep existing owners from looking elsewhere?

parker2
Guide
Guide

Arlo announced End of LIfe (EOL) on model VMC4030 in an email yesterday.   I bought 2 of them just 3 years ago.  If you think I am mad, wait til you hear from the next sucker.... I can still find them for sale on Amazon today.  WTF?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LR8PG6Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Such an amature move Arlo.   Keep it up and you will be out of business in 2 years.

Doug_Phoenix
Star
Star

I just submitted my review. I purchased from Amazon so the purchase should show as "confirmed."

Amazon indicated it may take a few days to appear.

JamesDavisPhD
Tutor
Tutor

I cannot agree with most of the posters more.  I own three base stations and ten cameras in use at both of my homes; they are in perfect working order.  I invested over $1500 into these systems after a burglary at one of the homes with the understanding that the seven-day cloud storage service was a permanent part of the package.  I initially bought one base station with two cameras and then added two more; I later bought the other base stations and cameras for my other home; when I did this, I was forced to begin to subscribe to Arlo because of the sheer number of cameras that I was using.  All of these purchases took place within the past 4 years.  My purchases were made with the understanding that I was buying a high-quality product for which there would be continued support and storage.  This changing of horses in the middle of the stream is professionally unconscionable and is making me concur with the other users that this warrants a class action lawsuit.  If my devices cease to work as promised, I will be furious.  I have been a loyal Arlo advocate and supporter to date; this decision is causing me to reassess that quite extensively.

scirdan
Star
Star

When I purchased a camera set that was super expensive and on the box it says it includes cloud storage for 7 days, the expensive price paid for the cloud service essentially up front, it wasn't free. that was the selling point "no subscription fees,  7 days storage is included", why should they be able to change it? 

If you paid $50k for a car that had 100k mile warranty, and after 2 or 3 years, the manufacturer decided they aren't going to cover your car after 60k miles because they felt it wasn't good for their profits, you would not be happy, its the same thing.

Kevinintx
Star
Star

I vote Pay another company for cameras (to which I am finding seem to be much better these days than my older Arlo Pros) and let Arlo go bankrupt if that is it destiny.   I would sign-up for any class action lawsuits even if I only get pennies.  I am planning on sending an email to the Texas AG and see if or what can be done.  If others lose their services sorry I (we) did not start this ball rolling Arlo did.

disbanded
Tutor
Tutor

Trash move by a trash company.  I'm chomping at the bit to join a class action lawsuit against them.  I have recently bought OLD cameras because of the free cloud storage, so they are doing false advertising and not delivering what they promised their customers.  I would have never gone with Arlo if I knew they were going to be such a trash company, but they lock you in because now I have 5 OLD cameras and I don't want to start over, but I damn sure ain't paying for a subscription for a garbage product that barely works right half the time.  It's over for you Arlo, or at least I hope so.  I honestly hope you go out of business with your shady practices.  F YOU ARLO!!!!!  F YOU!!!!!!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@parker2 wrote:

So Arlo is EOLing products they are still selling through Amazon 

While there are Pro/Pro2 cameras for sale on Amazon, I am not seeing any with Arlo listed as the seller.  They all appear to be Amazon Renewed or other Amazon Stores.