Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

simonjf
Follower
Follower

I have just received an email about the End Of Life policy. If this is actually what is going to happen then I need to follow up with all my friends and family, social media connections to advocate against Arlo, and search for an alternative company and service, likely starting my own online storage service for them with appropriate security cameras.

Additionally, contacts at Arlo seem to be designed to prevent actual communication - which has the stink of a company that hates its customers.

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

New, updated information is now available regarding the EoL policy that is very relevant to much of the discussion taking place here in this community thread. These changes will allow Arlo legacy users who currently have 7-day storage service to continue receiving that service, uninterrupted.

I encourage you all to visit https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf and read up on these changes.

Thank you,

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hello Arlo Community,

With the recently announced Arlo end-of-life policy, we understand many of you are seeking more clarity and a path forward after your device becomes end-of-life. In the coming days we will be reaching out to impacted users via email with special offers. Keep an eye out for those emails as they will contain more details about these offers and instructions on how to take advantage of them.

For those who may not have read this new policy or have questions about how this may impact you, I encourage you to take a look here: https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf?cid=a&cid=a

If you've not received a discount offer via email, visit https://www.arlo.com/en-us/eol-offer-form.html and enter your email address, if your account is eligible you will then receive the discount offer via email.

Thank you,

JamesC

1,510 REPLIES 1,510
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Alvid99 wrote:

From what I can see we can’t buy the  cloud storage on the older cameras - is this correct ?  

This article says you can:

No guarantee on how long that will work, as the same article says:

• Services and cloud functionality may be reduced or unavailable for the device
  • Future services or features may be unavailable for the device

lenard777
Star
Star

If you persist in removing any support including 7 day free recordings, I will put all my cameras and base station in the trash and so will millions of other customers. Wake up Arlo and smell the coffee. Your stock prices have already dropped and now your customer base will be leaving you. I plan to start purchasing another brand of caeras immediately if not sooner. Very stupid move on your part and the greed is unbelievable. You have breached a contract with your customers who plan a class action lawsuit against you. Have a good day.

santas691
Initiate
Initiate

When I opened this email, I knew by the way they started with, “As part of Arlo’s commitment…" that is was going to be them taking away from us something we paid for originally. I agree that if they can provide paid storage via subscription they can continue their 7-day recording period.

Why Arlo?  We have bought so many cameras from you!!!

Another "brick" to add to the pile of unsupported devices that have reached EOL support! (i.e. no longer fit their financial/business model)

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@chrisbb wrote:

... if I had been given a bit more notification then 0 days ...

Not sure what cameras you have (the Pro 3 is not on the EOL list).  But you didn't get 0 days notice, you got 3-12 months (1 April 2023 for some cameras, and 1 January 2024 for others).

I get that this decision is distressing, but I think it is important to give correct information on this change.

Doug_Phoenix
Star
Star

Personally, I think a customer revolt/boycott would be better. I just want what I paid for, not some long, drawn-out process whereby some law firm takes funds from Arlo.

azarloGuy
Apprentice
Apprentice

They don't understand that while we may have some Pro2's many of us have newer models (Ultra's) as well, so why anger everyone.  My son in law has Eufy cameras after he dumped arlo and told me he's never looked back, best move he made.  Wake up arlo.

Pirate69
Star
Star

With a market cap of only $310 M, this company can’t afford any significant concessions to its customers. It may truly be on its last legs as a company.

Mskoehn
Initiate
Initiate

Consumer reports needs to add this hokum to their flawed report on netgear.  My system performance has been **bleep**ty from the beginning with logouts, dropped connections, non workable solar panels, spotty batteries, poorly configured user software and now this.  What balls.  I was already looking for a new system and now this chinches it!

JerzeyJohn
Apprentice
Apprentice

@MichaelRo I thought the exact same thing! If you pay extra by purchasing a subscription (which I will not do) you will still have some of the features available. Although, without firmware updates and other support, it seems these “legacy” systems will still turn into “bricks” at some point. Shame on ARLO.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Thebrightestday wrote:

How do you find the model number?

When I go to Arlo Secure App or Arlo Dahsboard, the device info shows only H7.

The H7 isn't helpful.  Here's how you can tell:

1. If the camera has 4 CR123 batteries, then it is the VMC3030 camera.
  2. If it has a single removable battery, then open the housing and remove the battery.  You'll find a label inside.
  3. If the camera is sealed, then you have an Essential model.  The model is on the bottom of the camera (where the charging cable goes).  It's small, and could be hard to see.

The base (if you have one) also has a label on it that starts with VMB.

Steve32
Star
Star

Anyone who wishes to do so should also head over to the App Store and give a one star review. Takes 30 seconds and may help future potential Arlo customers from being scammed like we have all been. 

drs2088
Initiate
Initiate

Class action against Arlo.

MBasney
Star
Star

I have Arlo Pro VMC4030 cameras, and received an “End of Life Policy” email.

The packaging says “7 day free cloud storage,” customers used this statement to buy this product. This is “bait and switch,” and “false marketing,” and will result in good equipment being rendered useless.

Arlo offers cloud storage, with a paid subscription, thus “cloud storage is possible.”

How is this possible, if no firmware updates? Does that mean Arlo will provide firmware updates for equipment they’ve arbitrarily deemed “outdated,” but only with a paid subscription? This is deceptive behavior. I would think Arlo’s legal people would have advised against this.

What is Arlo’s contact information, we should flood them with calls and emails about this.

Pirate69
Star
Star

Flood them with reviews on Amazon.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Knight85 wrote:

pardon my ignorance but does this mean that I can (with an appropriate storage device) access my videos of interest remotely from that storage device? … or that I will have to physically access that storage device, plug into my computer and view?

The two smarthubs (VMB4540 and VMB5000) support the direct access to local storage feature.

This isn't the best user experience (but some do find it good enough).  A subscription would be a simpler way to go (and of course can be cancelled if they remove features you need).

Limitations of direct access include

• videos only available in the app (not the browser).
  • videos only available from the primary account (not friend accounts).
  • no ability to make manual recordings or snapshots
  • no thumbnails - videos need to be downloaded to view
  • remote access requires router setting changes that some find difficult - and which don't work with some internet service providers.  Those include mobile broadband, and any other providers that use carrier-grade NAT.
JerzeyJohn
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Steve32 Good call! Will be doing this and leaving Amazon a negative review on Amazon too!

Steve32
Star
Star

Just tried. Came up with a message stating Amazon has detected a high volume of review activity and is restricting reviews to only confirmed purchasers. Bought mine at Best Buy…

Sbne
Guide
Guide

Since we are getting screwed by Arlo, wondering what thoughts are on Wyze  cams 

MMart
Initiate
Initiate

I agree. I only purchased the Doorbell Camera in October because all 4 of my old cameras are still working fine. I also just purchased all new batteries for those cameras. I'd like a refund for the Doorbell and batteries so I can go purchase a RING doorbell like all my neighbors have. 

Dauralee23
Initiate
Initiate

Agreed. That is their way of getting customers to buy new cameras. That is a terrible way to do business. There are many other competitors on the camera market and if this is how they treat us, I would go elsewhere. Total nonsense!

JerzeyJohn
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Steve32 Just happened to me too! (Guess people are fed up and actually providing critical negative feedback). I did leave a negative review/rating on the App Store.  Here is my review for anyone wanting to use something similar:

Potential buyers, BEWARE!!! I am completely disgusted with Arlo’s new bait-and-switch “End of Life" Policy, which essentially breaches their previous stipulations and policies and SCAMs loyal customers who have acted in GOOD FAITH previously, bought previous products by FORCING them to either buy new cameras or to PAY EXTRA for an ARLO subscription. Completely unacceptable. I use to recommend this company, but future buyers need to BEWARE of their unethical business practices. Go elsewhere!

Smxcan
Apprentice
Apprentice

This EOL Policy will be the END OF LIFE for the Arlo brand on Jan 1, 2024 (or Apr 1st, 2023 for some).

Arlo's only benefit over other brands was their 7-day cloud storage INCLUDED with their cameras. Without it, it gives us no reason to buy new cameras from Arlo.

Why would anyone even want to purchase a new Arlo system for thousands of dollars knowing that this EOL Policy exists and will potentially make their NEW system OBSOLETE in about FOUR YEARS?!

If Arlo doesn't roll back this UNETHICAL policy or provide an incentive, or any reason to stay with them, I'll be switching to better cameras and services from the competitors in a few months.

JerzeyJohn
Apprentice
Apprentice

@MichaelRo Great post! I have started leaving reviews on their App Store. Tried going to Amazon, but Amazon has limited reviews on ARLO products due to high volume of reviews (I wonder why??)

For others wanting to leave critical reviews, feel free to use some of the verbiage I already wrote/provided:

Potential buyers, BEWARE!!! I am completely disgusted with Arlo’s new hairy-and-switch “End of Life" Policy, which essentially breaches their previous stipulations and policies and SCAMs loyal customers who have acted in GOOD FAITH previously, bought previous products by FORCING them to either buy new cameras or to PAY EXTRA for an ARLO subscription. Completely unacceptable. I use to recommend this company, but future buyers need to BEWARE of their shady business practices. Go elsewhere!

LP79
Apprentice
Apprentice

It sounds to me like that is what they want. How will a boycott help when they are straight up telling us that they are going to disable our equipment? They must already know that we're not going to buy another Arlo set.

They're trying to get rid of the free customers. Frankly there are multiple suits That could be launched against them as there are so many broken promises here. There was a long period of unrecognizable footage due to extreme throttling. I had a sub at one point but got rid of it because the only useful feature to me (smart notifications) added a 2-3 min delay to notifications. The system has never performed as advertised. It takes 30 secs-min to connect to cameras on a tablet, phone or screen based product and audio takes just as long to connect and is broken and extremely delayed. Not exactly suitable for conferencing when someone rings the doorbell as advertised.

I think personally it's time that ARLO as a company is dissolved and it's remaining assets are distributed to it's victims. They are probably pretty close if they are pulling this last-ditch crap.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You did read the announcement, right? There's nothing to be bricked. They explicitly said you can continue to use the devices but without firmware updates and eventually the loss of cloud recording. There are solutions to the latter via either a subscription and/or a base or hub that supports local recording.