Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

simonjf
Follower
Follower

I have just received an email about the End Of Life policy. If this is actually what is going to happen then I need to follow up with all my friends and family, social media connections to advocate against Arlo, and search for an alternative company and service, likely starting my own online storage service for them with appropriate security cameras.

Additionally, contacts at Arlo seem to be designed to prevent actual communication - which has the stink of a company that hates its customers.

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

New, updated information is now available regarding the EoL policy that is very relevant to much of the discussion taking place here in this community thread. These changes will allow Arlo legacy users who currently have 7-day storage service to continue receiving that service, uninterrupted.

I encourage you all to visit https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf and read up on these changes.

Thank you,

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hello Arlo Community,

With the recently announced Arlo end-of-life policy, we understand many of you are seeking more clarity and a path forward after your device becomes end-of-life. In the coming days we will be reaching out to impacted users via email with special offers. Keep an eye out for those emails as they will contain more details about these offers and instructions on how to take advantage of them.

For those who may not have read this new policy or have questions about how this may impact you, I encourage you to take a look here: https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf?cid=a&cid=a

If you've not received a discount offer via email, visit https://www.arlo.com/en-us/eol-offer-form.html and enter your email address, if your account is eligible you will then receive the discount offer via email.

Thank you,

JamesC

1,510 REPLIES 1,510
iwishmystupidne
Guide
Guide

Same. And on the invoice, and on the product description from Arlo. It was definitely a feature well-sold.

fredq2
Star
Star

Wyze cam isn’t the same feature set because it requires a power supply (non-battery). The main benefit from Arlo was the free cloud backup AND that it was battery powered (allowing one to move it around, place in locations without electricity, etc)

MichaelRo, that used to be the case but check out Wyze Cam Outdoor v2 . 6 month battery and free (so far) cloud storage. Links on post 49

madmax240
Initiate
Initiate

Just saw it too.  Time switch I to another product.  This is how they treat people who supported them.

Way to go Arlo!

alexmereness
Star
Star

I’m already on it! 

JerzeyJohn
Apprentice
Apprentice

@darkness975  I believe it does, unfortunately. There is another thread with some additional information here: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/End-Of-Life-Policy/td-p/1893275

MichaelRo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ahhh. Didn’t realize there was a battery version of Wyze.  Feel stupid for trusting Arlo wouldn’t pull this stunt.  Should have bought Wyze in the first place!

darkness975
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks

AshTray900
Luminary
Luminary

I think we kinda figured out that what it means is the cameras won’t get new features and you will need to pay for cloud storage.

what’s pathetic is that google gives you what, 20gb for free on google drive? I have had a 32gb drive in my base station and it has filled up in over 8 years so they are saying good customer satisfaction isn’t worth a measly 500 MB or less for each user that paid a lot of money for the system to have a puny 7 day history?

they are not getting rid of their cloud server, they are just renaming ther plans (and may have upgraded their cloud infrastructure) none of this will cause the legacy cameras 15 second videos to be larger, as of now I think you could fit one of the low quality clips on a floppy disk SMDH.

I decided to pay for the plan for a month because the package, person, animal detection works great and 30 days is nice. No cost difference to me.

as far as I can tell the cameras will still work but may not get any new features. The change is now they want you to have a subscription if you plan to do anything online with them, but I’m not sure, I don’t work for netgear

MickyB3
Initiate
Initiate

That would be nice but that’s not what my email said and implied. Poorly worded perhaps. I get they can’t support it forever but making it basically useless when it’s functional is not EOL but forced extortion 

iwishmystupidne
Guide
Guide

Why is there no published customer support email or phone number? I need to inquire on how to get a refund for several recently purchased Arlo systems now subject to the EOL policy. Free cloud recording and storage is plastered all over the box, the invoice, and in the product description that was included. It's quite deceptive, if not illegal, to pull the rug out like this. I'm happy to let the FTC and AG find the proper contacts if Arlo can't provide them to their customers.

scirdan
Star
Star

Reread the letter, this is not EOL as in "device is too old and its tech is not capable enough so we arent supporting it", in fact is says right in the letter that you can continue with the same services, with the same devices if you add a subscription, so they are just trying to get rid of all "free 7 day cloud storage" customers even though the device packaging states this as a selling point.

They really should just leave things be and eventually happy customers would upgrade to newer better cameras (with subscription service)  when their older ones really did stop working..  now they are going to drive many original customers away.. not a good plan..

KAL76
Guide
Guide

We received the email today about the Generation 3 (VMC3030) and Pro (VMC4030) cameras being affected on April 1, 2023 by being moved to End of Life status.  These cameras were released in 2014 and 2016, respectively. The EOL of the Generation 3 (VMC3030) and Pro (VMC4030) cameras means that certain features of, and support for, these cameras will become unavailable, including 7-day cloud storage, firmware updates, and email notifications.

We have 4 of the Arlo Pro (VMC4030) cameras.  If we decide to upgrade those to the Arlo Pro VMC4040 version, can we just swap them out with our current ones or would we need to buy a new base station (VMB4000) as well?  We do not currently have a subscription.  Will we be forced to get one by changing our cameras?  

JerzeyJohn
Apprentice
Apprentice

@auf4ever I totally concur with everything you said. Not sure if you saw the other thread on the same topic, but there are also a number of people exploring legal action… which I also think is appropriate at this time. Like you said, many of us have acted in good faith, while ARLO has not

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well I had all my Pro 2 cameras wired. They had less issues that way.

Cameras would shut down at -4 degrees and I wasn't climbing up 13 feet to change the batteries.

Maybe Wyze or Eufy would work for me, I'll need to research. 

BaitNswitch
Initiate
Initiate
Spoiler
There must be a lot of clowns at arlo to think this is going to work out well for them lol

They specifically sold the 7 day storage as part of the cameras.  And the cameras will still work as evidenced by their "subscription".

This will be a major lawsuit.  Good luck arlo clowns.
Mark85
Star
Star

Same way. I have all of my Arlo cameras on a wired connection for stability and convenience, but appreciate that they continue to work even in a power outage (my Arlo bases are on a UPS and have local storage). I have mostly Pro 2 but still have a few Pro 1 cameras. Thankfully we still have a year before our Pro 2s hit EOL... Plenty of time to start researching replacements, because Arlo has left a sour taste in my life to buy more of their products.

JackLimburg
Initiate
Initiate

I find this EOL notice immediately after my annual account renewal fee was paid rather surprising and disappointing. I have no intention purchasing new Arlo cameras. Will as a matter of principle move to another brand rather then renewing my membership next time. 

Alvid99
Aspirant
Aspirant

I saw the end of life e mail today - and we are running 4 of the VMC 3030s and did also  have a pro 2 that is a now  a paperweight .   We also have the Arlo doorbell .   Losing the 7 day library is quite a dealbreaker.    We have the Arlo Secure plan on our Arlo doorbell. From what I can see we can’t buy the  cloud storage on the older cameras - is this correct ?  

Ccoc
Aspirant
Aspirant

You'd think that Arlo would offer a discounted upgrade plan for EOL products. Other companies with which I've dealt have offered a 30% discount to upgrade. I've reviewed the EOL notice and the majority of my products will reach EOL by Jan 1st 2024. I will now consider looking at alternative systems. I've been very pleased with my Kasa smart switches and will now consider their cameras and doorbell products.

Dognuts
Tutor
Tutor

Just received Arlo's EOL email.  Why would you discontinue providing support for the vast number of customers who owns such. I, for one, will not upgrade to newer Arlo equipment going forward. WE have been scammed - Arlo, just screwed 🙃 us. Thanks, Arlo!

Mya1
Initiate
Initiate

What a SCAM ARLO!! 

6 cameras 2 bases and now I’ll have to pay for something you promised would be free ??? 

McVickerstaff
Initiate
Initiate

Arlo pro 2 times out 1/1/24 according to the pdf end of life information.  I won’t purchase Arlo again when my cameras timeout.   Plenty of other options where I don’t have to replace a $500 system every 4 years and pay a subscription.  Bye bye arlo.

JarloB52
Star
Star

After soending several hundred dollars for my Arlo cameras that I purchased for the 7 day cloud recording I will be the proud owner of Arlo paperweights.

Im retired and really can't spend a monthly charge.

Shame!!!

McVickerstaff
Initiate
Initiate

Arlo employee??

Steve32
Star
Star

Yeah, way to treat your long term clients and break your promise of free 7-day storage, which like me, is likely why the large majority of Arlo owners purchased  these cameras. And great timing kicking people when they are down as many people are struggling to pay their food and utility bills. If Arlo moves forward with this, I certainly won’t ever be purchasing any of their products ever again and will spread the word to all who will listen. Oh, and I love how our cameras are too old for them to support free 7-day storage, but they will somehow be able to continue to store video for us if we pay a monthly fee. Thanks for the support Arlo.