Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

simonjf
Follower
Follower

I have just received an email about the End Of Life policy. If this is actually what is going to happen then I need to follow up with all my friends and family, social media connections to advocate against Arlo, and search for an alternative company and service, likely starting my own online storage service for them with appropriate security cameras.

Additionally, contacts at Arlo seem to be designed to prevent actual communication - which has the stink of a company that hates its customers.

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

New, updated information is now available regarding the EoL policy that is very relevant to much of the discussion taking place here in this community thread. These changes will allow Arlo legacy users who currently have 7-day storage service to continue receiving that service, uninterrupted.

I encourage you all to visit https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf and read up on these changes.

Thank you,

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hello Arlo Community,

With the recently announced Arlo end-of-life policy, we understand many of you are seeking more clarity and a path forward after your device becomes end-of-life. In the coming days we will be reaching out to impacted users via email with special offers. Keep an eye out for those emails as they will contain more details about these offers and instructions on how to take advantage of them.

For those who may not have read this new policy or have questions about how this may impact you, I encourage you to take a look here: https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf?cid=a&cid=a

If you've not received a discount offer via email, visit https://www.arlo.com/en-us/eol-offer-form.html and enter your email address, if your account is eligible you will then receive the discount offer via email.

Thank you,

JamesC

1,510 REPLIES 1,510
Mreina
Guide
Guide

I agree Arlo needs a wake up call 

joeykraj
Guide
Guide

Deleted

Crisparkle
Initiate
Initiate

I just read the email announcement of the EOL. Very disappointed. I have 6 cameras and expected more than 4 years of service for cameras in this price range.

I will be looking at other less expensive options.

Ruth_
Initiate
Initiate

I totally agree with you.  I can't even do justice in expressing how disappointed I am in how Arlo is treating their loyal customers.  At least when Amazon discontinued their Look Camera, they offered the Alexa Show or a $50 credit toward Amazon products. I will be replacing with a non-Arlo system as will family members & friends who I recommended the Arlo to.  BUYERS beware of anyone selling these old Arlo systems.

Minburn57
Apprentice
Apprentice

". . . . . totally unacceptable from a supposedly reputable company . . . . "

Being one of the folks using these for quite some time, I never recognized this company as particularly reputable or honest.  I recall the issues that started rising a couple years out from purchase of my system and persisted on and off for 'years' afterward with little useful input and response from the company.

Only reason I kep them is because of a sizable $ investment and not having the kind of coin available to simply dump them and purchase another.  While I haven't had much issue with them the past year or so - almost surprisingly how stable they have been for me over that period, I guess this New Year's Day gift makes up for that.

I'll just drag out in whatever way, shape or form a use out of them.  But as far as recommending them, I stopped recommending them just a few years out after purchase because of how inconsistent the performance.

Take care, folks.

Minburn57
Apprentice
Apprentice

"EOL devices can utilize Arlo’s new cloud video storage platform, which is available with the Arlo Secure subscription service. However, some features may not be available on EOL devices since these devices no longer receive software or firmware updates and are no longer supported."

Try to squeeze those last few dollars out of customers if only for another month or two, eh Arlo?

F disgusting . . . . . . 

fredq2
Star
Star

ARLO stock price is down 66.22% over one year. What a bonehead move to alienate early customers who advocated for their products. Wonder what the business case is, pennies on the dollar with massive negative publicity?

As others have related, I paid extra for cameras based on the included 7 day cloud storage. Cheaper and better quality options exist today ensuring further pressure on this company. Just plain dumb.

AshTray900
Luminary
Luminary

Well I noticed all of the old plans are moved into legacy mode, the new plans are called “arlo secure” something.

my current 30 day 9.99 a month plan converted over to the arlo secure plan equivalent just loosing that 911 service I didn’t use.

my assumption here is that they want everyone on a plan, I don’t know this for sure but I read “can continue to record on the arlo secure plan” so I changed mine over as a no cost increase.

im thinking what arlo is trying to do is kick the people off the 7 day free recording plan by renaming them and saying old cameras will continue to record on the “arlo secure” plan. Of which I see no free one, the lowest one was a single camera 30 day for 2.99 a month.

my system when purchased came with a 4 camera free 7 day cloud policy which eventually I upgraded to the 9.99 legacy policy that would support all 5 of my cameras since I bought one extra one on top of the 4 in the package and liked it telling me when a package etc was delivered.

I do have a 32gb flash drive in my base station but it is not accessible via the app or any other means than pulling it out and putting it in the computer. For 8 years or so this stick has never been able to fill up since the resolution quality of the videos is pretty low.

Here’s what I think they are saying - no more free cloud storage, even if you assumed it was going to last a lifetime, and also we aren’t going to hold ourselves responsible for any issues (security etc) that may arise due to the fact we just don’t want to keep the firmware rolling on these. “Function may diminish over time” who the hell knows what that means but calling them “EOL” takes them off the hook for any responsibility for them and regardless of how minuscule the space required to store 7 days of video, we want everyone on a payment plan (cash grab). Sadly the video space required for just 7 days of legacy arlo camera storage is probably in the megabytes, like wou could probably burn a years worth of the video of normal 15 or 30 second clips on a freaking CD.

my guess here, written in terms of “oh we are keeping up with tech standards”

want access other than a usb stick pull, pay up. Get your cameras hacked not our fault. I do understand the need to eventually stop updating firmware and this is actually beneficial so cameras stay in good operation since they will be the last thing or left off the testing bench for firmware (netgear routers do the opposite) give you firmware updates until your router becomes **bleep** and doesn’t function well.

I don’t need the free plan but come on guys it’s so little space, a full HD photo uploaded to Facebook is in the same space range of the legacy videos!!!

plus just be freaking honest so we don’t sit here guessing at what you really mean.

Crisparkle
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks for your message. I will be looking at these other companies for replacements. I paid too much for these cameras for them to just become bricks. I also have teo doorbells and chimes.

Pirate69
Star
Star

This is an antitrust violation. Even with a paid subscription, the firmware will not be updated.

AshTray900
Luminary
Luminary

Exact email from Arlo:

Hi Ash,

As part of Arlo’s commitment to delivering high performance products and to protect our customers’ privacy and data, we continually review the ability of our products and services to meet the ever-evolving technology and cybersecurity standards of the market. Based on this analysis, we determine when our products and services need to be updated or retired and moved into their end of life (EOL) stage.

Starting January 1, 2023, Arlo is implementing an EOL policy for its products and services, with the Generation 3 (VMC3030) and Pro (VMC4030) cameras being affected on April 1, 2023. These cameras were released in 2014 and 2016, respectively. The EOL of the Generation 3 (VMC3030) and Pro (VMC4030) cameras means that certain features of, and support for, these cameras will become unavailable, including 7-day cloud storage, firmware updates, and email notifications. To find your product model number go to the Arlo Secure App > Settings > Support Center > click on your specific camera and then scroll down to the details section to view the product model number.

These cameras may continue to be operated after April 1, 2023 by all existing Arlo owners to live stream video, receive motion notifications, and store video clips locally with a compatible Arlo base station. These cameras also can utilize Arlo’s new cloud storage, which is available with the Arlo Secure subscription service, though the EOL’d cameras themselves may lose some functionality over time, as they will not be provided with further firmware upgrades.

More information on Arlo’s EOL policy can be found (link)

Thank you for being part of the Arlo community.

-The Arlo Team

Pirate69
Star
Star

Federal Trade Commission. This is an antitrust violation.

Normandroy
Apprentice
Apprentice

I got the email as well and boy is this confusing.  Can anyone explain if we're supposed to get new devices (base station, camera, doorbell...) or what? Does signing up for a plan insure the devices I have will continue to function?

sptonner
Initiate
Initiate

Just got notice regarding your EOL changes for my devices..

Not by my choice, you're changing how mine may work someday...

What are you going yo do for me,,

Free replacement cameras??

...I doubt it...the support is usually a joke. 

Disappointed,,,but not surprised 

Pirate69
Star
Star

They are phasing out support for all cameras over the next few years. See the link to the full policy. And firmware will not be updated, even with a paid subscription.

Epicrainbolt
Initiate
Initiate

If I subscribe can I still receive the 7 day storage I have been receiving with my arlo pro? The policy was unclear on if it would still work the same... FYI this really sucks

mamarcac
Apprentice
Apprentice

@jguerdat wrote:

I recently received notifications that both Chrome and Edge won't be updated on my W7 home theater PC. Is there a global conspiracy going on here that old devices are being EOLed even though they're still working perfectly well?

Any device or software being considered end-of-life isn't new. It's just a matter of time before it happens. If you read the FAQ (https://kb.arlo.com/000063018/Arlo-Legacy-Cameras-End-of-Life) you can still use the devices and there are suggestions for (mostly) maintaining the status quo.

No, people, the sky is not falling...

You've been an Arlo defender for  years. Take whatever free swag they've given you and stop polluting threads with your pro-Arlo propoganda.

The fact they say this is EOL but then say oh actually if you pay for our subscription service they'll keep working, completely contradicts EOL.

Normandroy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks. I guess that means all my Arlo devices are headed for the junk heap and I'll have to buy new equipment. Guess which company WON'T be on my shopping list.

Thirdful
Initiate
Initiate

Already bought a blink system today. I had a Arlo base station with 5 fully working cameras and a bunch of rechargeable CR123 batteries. In 4 months I will have fully working tech that is useless. They have lost me as a customer and the funniest part was I was going to update the Arlo system this year. Not anymore.

talpha1
Initiate
Initiate

Agreed. 

Arlo:

You will not be receiving a single penny of my money going forward. I paid for these cameras in good faith that they would continue to work until they mechanically failed or it was no longer possible to use them due to technological advances. Neither of those things are true. The cameras work fine and now I’m going to have to dispose of them, adding to a landfill, simply because you wish for me to spend money to buy new cameras. The “end of life” policy was not disclosed to me upon purchase and it is my fervent desire that you’re slapped with a class action or federal lawsuit for this policy. Shame on you for adding to the country’s rampant consumerism and the planet’s toxic electronic waste crisis, simply to line your pockets.

MichaelRo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Got to get this into the press ASAP.  Once the stock market sees this and the stock price stumbles, you’ll see then pay attention. 

Right now we’re just a silent angry group of founding supporters. 

Thebrightestday
Tutor
Tutor

How do you find the model number?

When I go to Arlo Secure App or Arlo Dahsboard, the device info shows only H7.

What is H7?

Is it VMC3030 or VMC4030 or none of these?

Arlouser_9
Initiate
Initiate

I have 10 cameras! 9 of which will no longer be supported, which sucks! I too told my friends about Arlo and some did purchase the product!!! So disappointed, I WILL BE LOOKING AT OTHER BRANDS!
In 2022, I’ve had a lot of problems with my cameras and ended up purchasing support.

rockjim33
Tutor
Tutor

That is probably true. But the reason I paid extra for Arlo was because of the 7 day storage and not having to pay for a plan. Now they are forcing a plan with an unclear future. Seems like I might as well move to a new brand...

rockjim33
Tutor
Tutor

Agreed. The 7 days of storage is why I paid extra for Arlo...