Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

simonjf
Follower
Follower

I have just received an email about the End Of Life policy. If this is actually what is going to happen then I need to follow up with all my friends and family, social media connections to advocate against Arlo, and search for an alternative company and service, likely starting my own online storage service for them with appropriate security cameras.

Additionally, contacts at Arlo seem to be designed to prevent actual communication - which has the stink of a company that hates its customers.

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

New, updated information is now available regarding the EoL policy that is very relevant to much of the discussion taking place here in this community thread. These changes will allow Arlo legacy users who currently have 7-day storage service to continue receiving that service, uninterrupted.

I encourage you all to visit https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf and read up on these changes.

Thank you,

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hello Arlo Community,

With the recently announced Arlo end-of-life policy, we understand many of you are seeking more clarity and a path forward after your device becomes end-of-life. In the coming days we will be reaching out to impacted users via email with special offers. Keep an eye out for those emails as they will contain more details about these offers and instructions on how to take advantage of them.

For those who may not have read this new policy or have questions about how this may impact you, I encourage you to take a look here: https://downloads.arlo.com/images/PDFs/EOL_Policy/arlo-end-of-life-policy-021023.pdf?cid=a&cid=a

If you've not received a discount offer via email, visit https://www.arlo.com/en-us/eol-offer-form.html and enter your email address, if your account is eligible you will then receive the discount offer via email.

Thank you,

JamesC

1,510 REPLIES 1,510
ArloWontCharge
Star
Star

I wanted to send them a pissed off email but can’t even do that. I spent some time hunting on the Arlo website for a “Contact Arlo” link or an email to write to, and there isn’t one that I could find. What a joke of a company.

Ben58
Star
Star

and to add insult to injury, the letter wasn’t even all that apologetic.  There was no offer to buy discounted cameras, no email to ask question or phone number to actually talk to someone.  I suspect Arlo recognized the backlash and doesn’t want to tie up resources to deal with disgruntled customers.  I don’t understand their business model, but I don’t have to.  I can simply stop giving them money.

4yhealth
Initiate
Initiate

So now I have camera VMC3030 and the end of life info came up so does this mean I have to buy a whole another unit cameras and hub stations.. Need a little help appreciate your imput

AZ06
Initiate
Initiate

So basically they don’t care about their customers and are essentially making the system useless. I’ve been using Arlo for years and now they want to start charging me for cloud storage that was always free, oh and it might not even work. They might want to rethink this decision or they will lose many current and future customers. 

jluckett3
Initiate
Initiate

Just the final straw that motivates me to move on to something else.  Been dissatisfied with Arlo for some time and this just confirms that I want no part of them.  Expensive cameras that are very limited unless you buy a subscription.  No thanks, will find a alternative more suitable to my needs.  

Kbbwills
Initiate
Initiate

I agree - the no subscription 7 day cloud storage was a major reason I chose Arlo and recommended / installed it with so many relatives.    I understand they want the recurring subscription revenue, but they should at least scale back the "free" version to 2 days of cloud, or even 1 day.   But going to zero and only allowing local storage basically bricks the old cameras.   

cabdtv
Initiate
Initiate

This is a **bleep** way to treat customers.  I will be moving on as well.  It seems that it is fraudulent to sell a product and then disable a key feature, the free storage.  

Embeeous
Star
Star

Update - this is an easy call….I can pay Arlo DOUBLE what I’m currently paying Nest for a subscription that would cover our existing doorbell and some new cameras, and I can pay Arlo for new cameras, and/or can continue to pay for replacement non rechargeable batteries that cost a fortune and add up all year long, or I can just say - see ya Arlo!

I have to believe that Arlo is going to

lose a HUGE chunk of their base that doesn’t have subscriptions, which I’m sure that they are fine with. So many other ways that they could have turned this into a huge opportunity by giving some sort of incentives or discounts to switch to newer cameras or a basic plan. Nope, just a stupid money grab that will probably be the end of Arlo. Nest and Ring are going to make a killing with this.

Bye Arlo.

Sjboyer
Initiate
Initiate

ARLO has really turned into a big disappointment. My gen3s are done but I have a year to replace my Pro 2 cameras and one Pro 4 camera with a new vendor. 

Initiate
Initiate

Just received the notice.  I have six cameras and a base station affected by the notice.  I’ll won’t buy Arlo again.  I already have two Ring doorbells.  Guess I’ll be moving to Ring.  

designerjohnson
Initiate
Initiate

I can understand no longer supporting a product with firmware upgrades. I’m a life long Apple customer, so that stuff happens. But removing the 7-day storage benefit reeks of a money grab, pure and simple. Based on that I won’t be surprised if within the next year they push an update that renders our original cameras completely useless. Ultimately Arlo needs customers more than customers need Arlo. Sad they don’t see it that way.

Smore
Tutor
Tutor

Totally unacceptable! Over $1000 spent and 3 or 4 years later no support, no firmware updates or cloud storage as promised was included at time of purchase? Never will I deal with this company in the future for replacement cameras or any other product. My Arlo Q's slated for Jan 2024 EOL  as well ? Guess that will be a additional $600 or so, flushed. Beware buyers that it has the appearance of most if not all cameras purchase terms are, or will be, at end of life in a 4 year time span! Don't remember that promise at time of purchase. What a fraud! F#*K you arlo. Replace our cameras with support & storage for free!

ArCincy
Initiate
Initiate

The only reason I paid an up-front premium for my Arlo pro cameras was the included 7 day cloud storage (I won't call it "free" cloud storage as it was clearly built into the cost of the cameras - they ran about 50% more than comparable equipment from other brands).

I had been so happy with the Pro cameras I was planning to replace them with newer Arlo cameras and a subscription when they eventually failed (they've been outside in the elements for 5 years now - I'm impressed that they continue to function). But now that Arlo is forcing me to make that decision early, I will be going with a competitor and throwing out all my Arlo equipment. 

Scotty52
Star
Star

I have 7 cameras and three light and I’m beyond furious. I pay every year for the Arlo service and have been a loyal customer. I won’t replace with Arlo I’ll go to another brand. Arlo has shown they don’t want my business

MichaelRo
Apprentice
Apprentice

There’s got to be an organized way we can do this.  Hit them with an overwhelming negative response so it forces them to rethink their policy (akin to what happened to Rivian and price increase last year).

Obviously class action is an option. Probably the slowest and lawyers take a cut. We’d all get a few bucks at best or “credit” toward buying a new Arlo camera which requires a subscription.  

Organize a way to submit to the right consumer protection group?  BBB?  Consumer Protection Office?  https://www.usa.gov/state-consumer/california

ideas?  Form letter we can all complete and overwhelm them? Did they put some clause protecting them against class action in their fine print (akin to Tesla)?

Bummer Costco doesn’t allow lifetime returns anymore. That would be the easy out. 

ArloWontCharge
Star
Star

I just bought add-on cameras through Amazon. I’ll be going on today to post a 1-star review.

Mark85
Star
Star

After reading the EOL policy further, saw that even the ARLO Pro 2 (which I have even more of) will reach EOL and lose their free storage by next year. I guess gotta start researching for replacement now…

Nancy_L
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have three base stations and 12 cameras that are now worthless. I am looking at the boxes for all of my base stations and they all say free 7 day cloud storage, push notifications and emails. There is nothing about EOL'ing this FREE, included in the purchase price feature. Arlo, you are not the only system available now and it is a shame that you are ripping off your loyal customers who have sent many purchasers your way over the years! This is just another Skimpflation move by a company that is greedy!  

Ben58
Star
Star

caveat emptor

I am just imagining the the trickle down impact as people dump their perfectly good and working cameras on sites like eBay with the purchaser being unaware that the life of the camera is very limited. 

Phelps
Star
Star

I completely agree. I fully planned to replace my old ones with new ones when they broke and pay the subscription but after this I’m not. I’m going to look into Eufy. 
Whoever made this decision without some sort of discount on new products or service didn’t think this through. Your customers that have had these for 2-5 years are already your customers & easy to keep purchasing your brand when they fail. But to essentially say F to them is just going to drive them to a different brand. Why would they stay? You just told them any camera you buy from them is now essentially obsolete in like 4 years & we offer you nothing for your continued support & enjoyment of our brand.

bravo. This company will tank when people realize what’s happening. 

danmcg
Initiate
Initiate

Could not agree more! cannot tell you how many people friends relatives and acquaintances that I have recommended Arlo products to. This is a complete grift. As far as I am concerned, they are breaking the contract that they made at the time of purchase. Lifetime of the product should be the lifetime of the product. Let me know what your new camera replacement system is and I shall join the exudus.

Mreina
Guide
Guide

Class action against Arlo 

Mreina
Guide
Guide

Class action against arlo

alexmereness
Star
Star

I too just received your end-of-life (EOL) email for my products. I have invested well over $700 into this system, in part based on promises and claims made by you. It’s very disappointing that you now choose to go back on said promises, with no real upgrade path for those that have spent hundreds of dollars. I understand eventually not supporting old hardware, but effectively bricking/paywalling the system unless more money is spent (after already paying a premium price) is trash. This is a crappy tactic and a move that will influence my next security system purchase. I would encourage you to reconsider your EOL approach. Recognize you’re impacting your oldest and loyal user base.

MichaelRo
Apprentice
Apprentice

They’re a publicly traded company now. Got get this uproar publicized.  Shareholders should see this won’t convert us to subscribing customers but will shrink the customer base. 

maybe get this on the desk of some websites (electrik, cnet, etc)?