Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
Gerry_D
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi all,

nice little devices, some shortcomings though.

For the first, the cameras are too easy to steal. Just get a stick and knock it off the magnetic mount.
(Yea sure, use the standard 1/4-20 camera mount, make one or buy one.)

I hope you guys are keeping a running log of what cameras (serial number) belong to who and have in place a software fix that would prevent stolen cameras from being activated on another system. If not you sure as heck should be. Maybe even something traceable that the local police departments can use if a stolen camera was activated or an attempt to activate it on another system.

Second, the time for recording is too brief, I installed the first camera and it only recorded 14 seconds of an extimated one minute event. In the rules you say? OK, if so what about some better examples of rules and the dialogue for them.

Third software and app have some shortcomings. For example I would love to see a timer that would allow notifications between times I am at work, or a simple one touch button WITHIN THE APP to switch on the notifications.

Fourth, I have no idea how easy it is to hack into the system, remember the flap last year about baby cameras being hacked into by someone in Europe? How about some info on this?

But like all new things, people want more, I hope that someone in development does get this and consider the questions as things to address.

Cordially,

Gerry

18 REPLIES 18
Jens80
Aspirant
Aspirant

Regarding hacking, you always take that risk when you use wireless stuff, security alarms, cameras, wifi etc.

If you dont want that risk the best thing to do is not use wireless stuff.

I dont exactly know how this camera works, it says "wifi" but the basestation has to have cable, and I didnt have to connect to my wifi with password. Maybe it makes its own wifi to the camera and then its a clear risk of hacking.

EDIT :

Just looked at my list of wifi in my phone, and it has its own wifi like a router, with password. Hmm, thats an obvoius risk then. I have npt found any settings for security for that wifi. I guess its not possible to change.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Jens80 wrote:

I dont exactly know how this camera works, it says "wifi" but the basestation has to have cable, and I didnt have to connect to my wifi with password. Maybe it makes its own wifi to the camera and then its a clear risk of hacking.

Just looked at my list of wifi in my phone, and it has its own wifi like a router, with password. Hmm, thats an obvoius risk then. I have npt found any settings for security for that wifi. I guess its not possible to change.

The Arlo base sets up its own WIFI network to talk to the cameras only... there is no access into the Arlo base( no passwords given ) per say and it uses the latest levels of passwords into the unit ( like any wifi )

As to data back and forth between cam and base, Netgear says it encrpted... i can say I've tapped into the data feed out of the base and it does use a 'Key" for the videos leaving and coming back into the system.  I have been unable ot access any data from the camera tho i can detect same with my equipment.

The only unencrypted data may be the small jpgs put into your email alerts.

To me, it's fine, I  know there is a "possible" chance but prob not likely anyone will hack the system... BTW, It is used with a normal security system to fill gaps and for this it is great.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
GrenadaV
Tutor
Tutor

Hi Gary_D and all,

I too was concerned at first about how easy the cameras are to steal, (Arlo Fully Wireless system model 3330) but then after thinking about it some more, it is already too late for the thief as his picture is all on the arlo system so he can/will be caught. While I still don't want to have to deal with damage that thieves do, I at the very least want to be able to see them and have them caught by handing the clear video to the cops.

Criminals are inherintly thick, so while they walk up to face the camera, whammo you've got them.

I am a newbie with this stuff so do not know a lot about it all yet, but one thing for sure, I want the bastarts (excuse language) caught!

Cheers

Rossco

c0mm0
Guide
Guide
I wish they had a little safety leash on them so if they do get knocked off they would still hang from the mount by a safety cable kind of like the gopro has for its mounts.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

c0mm0 wrote:
I wish they had a little safety leash on them so if they do get knocked off they would still hang from the mount by a safety cable kind of like the gopro has for its mounts.

That's an easy fix with a small lenght of line from the mount to a short 10-20 thread bolt ( into the screw mount in base )

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's a 1/4"-20 thread.  😛  Standard for most cameras and you can use your own bolt if you like.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

brain fart here... sorry, J is right

GrenadaV
Tutor
Tutor

Hi,

Yeah, my biggest problem is where I have to install the camera outside watching the front door, I have used a solid screw mount, but if you wanted to you could get up and undo it no tools required.

But I figure, unless they are wearing a mask, they are screwed anyway as they have been recorded, so would catch them anyway. (id still rather that did not happen anyway).....but that is the risk you take I suppose for piece of mind and the insurance will take care of the rest.

Cheers

Rossco

WayneRemines
Initiate
Initiate
I consider the price of a camera with the video of the scum bag, in the cloud and retrievable to pass on to the cops.... A win and a great "peace of mind".
Gerry_D
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yea if you can get them to work right.

I just logged in and there are no videos.

There were some, but they rolled off after the 7 days so it works, but now nothing.

One camera is stuck in position mode as well as motion detection test that I can not get out of.

(may be out of it now by manually telling it from the comuter interface to take a snapshot. we will see)

Although I have two cameras, the system numbers them "1" and "3".

Maybe a ladder and remove the batteries?

The web interface for them, well to put it bluntly, sucks.

I get different page views with a Nexus, a smart phone and the computer.

Different page views as in different controls are available and not available.

Am I happy with it?

Well if I had to buy it and it wasn't a gift, it would be going back. Smiley Sad

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Gerry_D,

On the Basic plan all content will be purged from the cloud automatically after 7 days. Any content you wish to keep past 7 days should be downloaded and stored locally. If you wish to keep content on the cloud longer than 7 days you must subscribe to a higher level plan.

What is indicating that your camera is stuck in position mode? Are you able to live stream this camera?

It sounds like the "1" and "3" that you are seeing could be the library content counter displayed on the cameras screen. This indicates how many pieces of content for that specific camera are located in the library.

JamesC

tempzemp
Aspirant
Aspirant
The camera's can most certainly be hacked, I'm experiencing it right now!!! By an ex!!!!
The security obviously has floors
tempzemp
Aspirant
Aspirant
And the batteries are only lasting 2-3 weeks
Not the advertised 4-6 months. False advertising!!!
tempzemp
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes they are hackable- I have the evidence
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

tempzemp wrote:
Yes they are hackable- I have the evidence

it would help others if you posted specifics... I assume you talking about your password as the camera feed is tight.

bmattox79
Apprentice
Apprentice

I had 3 of the cameras mounted on the magnets and one on the screw mount the first day and immediately ordered 3 screw mounts from Amazon, do not buy the cheap ones ,the $8 ones are worth the money.  Any camera can be stolen if it's within reach the mounts make it harder than the stupid magnets.  Also the brackets make them a lot easier to adjust.

DestineyRae90
Aspirant
Aspirant

It wont matter if they cover their face. My ex stole mine and had access to everything on the internet, and deleted it.. I never thought he would do something like that and has denied it since.I have no way of 'proving' he did it.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Stealing cameras and even the base doesn't give him access to the videos. Only your email address and password does.