Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Do I have to have a base station to run an essential camera via wifi

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Pjeff
Aspirant
Aspirant

Do I have to have a base station to run an essential camera via wifi on 5g?

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Pjeff wrote:

Do I have to have a base station to run an essential camera via wifi on 5g?

Essential cameras only use 2.4 ghz wifi (they have no 5 ghz wifi radio). However, almost all 5 ghz routers provide both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz, and are compatible.  So you shouldn't need a base station (unless you want one for another reason).

If you are talking about 5G mobile, then please do post back, and give us more details on what you have.

Pjeff
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply!!

Now if I change my router to 2.4 will my internet run slower? I can’t have that….

JP

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Pjeff wrote:

Now if I change my router to 2.4 will my internet run slower? I can’t have that….

5 ghz is faster, but also has shorter range.  Whether 2.4 will slow down your internet speeds (or not) depends on what internet speeds you have, and how many of your neighbors you are sharing the 2.4 ghz with.

But you shouldn't have to change anything in your router.  Almost all of them are providing both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz all the time by default.  Your 5 ghz devices generally select the band that works best for their location (switching to 2.4 ghz automatically when further away).

If you post the router manufacturer and model, I can try to look at the datasheet (or user guide) to confirm.

Pjeff
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen for all your help, I think I get it.

I think I’m gonna pull the trigger with Arlo.

Here’s what I need:

Wireless camera 

Connect to wifi w/o base

No cloud for privacy 

Storage as I’ve had several intruders 

I’m on a budget but if I need to buy the base so be it.

Thanks again in advance for all your help Stephen!!