Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Dirty Netgear trick. New update prevents notifications when powering through USB port.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Sin_City
Star
Star

I have been using the USB port to power my camera with great success since summer 2015 until the new update this year. The new update detects presence of the USB port being used for power and will not send notifications. I noticed I was getting notifications from my battery powered one outside but not from the one inside powered by the USB adapter. When I switched that unit with batteries, the notifications came back. The camera still functions with the USB power, just no notifications.

The camera is mine. If I choose to void the warranty, then that is my business! This is Netgear's way of pushing their expensive Arlo Q. However, I also have a second system in my office. The office purposely doesn't have a WiFi router and Arlo Q needs a WiFi router. If they were going to push the Q, the should have had an option to tie it in with the existing Arlo system.

4 REPLIES 4
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sin_City,

While we don't encourage using the wire-free cameras in this way (power over usb) I just tested this and was able to receive notifications (e-mail and push) without issue. Are you seeing this behavior across multiple cameras?

JamesC

pdispenn
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same issue here. Will there ever be a fix for this?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If you decide to external power the Arlo cams, there are other ways... but of course it does void any warranty claim

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
pdispenn
Aspirant
Aspirant
Can you please send me a DM with the details the warranty is already voted since I cut a hole in the back for the USB thank you