Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
1starlo
Initiate
Initiate

Hi, I read elsewhere on this forum that the round basestation is just newer.  Caution!  The round base station is NOT equivalent to the rectangular ones!.  It is not apple home kit compatable, it does not have a siren, and it does not have a USB port for recording video locally.  

Turs uou it it is a much lower cost station, and is bundled with systems to reduce the price, however it may not be clear which base station you are getting.  

9 REPLIES 9
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The model 3500 ( round) base was design as a cost saving sale over the 3000( square)

(3500 sold as kits with cams in Costco)

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
TDEvans
Initiate
Initiate

Thank GOODNESS someone mentioned this. I have been searching over the web for confirmaiton but its quite hidden. I purchased the latest Arlo Pro 2 (3 cam) system Costco had on a sale for $370 but it came with the CIRCULAR base, which as mentioned does not have local USB storage, nor the siren, BOTH of which i was expecting to get upon research but at a Costco price. This is quite disappointing and I will likely return the product. I have already set it up, which took maybe 15 minutes for all three cams and the base station. Great little system, just bummed that Arlo cut corners on the base station to get the lower price to Costco customers. I wish they still had the Arlo Pro 2 5-Cam with the fully featured base on sale at Costco like they did months ago. Thx again OP!

TDEvans
Initiate
Initiate

PS--but fear not! They do provide you with magnetic mounts (3) and outdoor mounts (3) to cover your cameras (3), so you can place those extras in the dust drawer.  Id happily trade in the extra three for the REAL Arlo Pro 2 base and not this watered down verion! 

PepperMike
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the heads up... I currently have an Arlo Pro system that with (4) Pro and (3) Pro 2 cameras. I've been looking at the Costco 3 camera system since it's on sale for Christmas ($279) to add more cameras but wondered about the base station... Since I have a base station, the cost to add (3) Pro 2 cameras is too good to pass up.

myafchak
Initiate
Initiate

Be careful. I just bought an Arlo 3 Add on camera and it is NOT compatible with the round base of the Arlo Pro 2.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@myafchak wrote:

Be careful. I just bought an Arlo 3 Add on camera and it is NOT compatible with the round base of the Arlo Pro 2.

Correct.  More information on this is found here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062253/Is-Arlo-Pro-3-backwards-compatible-with-my-existing-Arlo-system

Stiznoit
Aspirant
Aspirant
So I just bought this and on the box it says local back up connect a USB drive to the base station for a local video back up. That is a lie. Or am I missing something?
Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
True this little base is no frills. No usb slot, home kit etc. however keep one thing in mind. The damn thing works great. All my past issues; jumping off line, battery drain because of constant pings, live view unusable etc are non existent. My original base was replaced twice. This thing simply works. If you don’t need the frills but want stability get it.
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi Stiznoit,

If you are referring to the VMB3500 Base Station, this does not provide local storage. You can read more about the differences here: What is the difference between each Arlo SmartHub and base station?