Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Chazutx
Initiate
Initiate
hello I purchased my system a few days ago...and after the first night my only camera keeps saying device offline each night around 10pm...the last 2 nights this has happened. Any reason as to what could keep kicking my camera offline? It also seems the only way to get it back is to bring it back to the base station and get it re synced. I can't keep doing this daily? If your internet goes down briefly will this cause it?
48 REPLIES 48
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Best Buy will likely let you exchange the whole system.  Your choice.

katmcd2
Tutor
Tutor
Why would I replace with a new system that may or may not work? Not reliable enough for home security will be looking into more reliable system. Glad I only bought one camera to see how good it was before adding additional cameras.
katmcd2
Tutor
Tutor
All packed up in original box going back today. Was thinking of looking at NETGEAR router not now Buffalo has much better record!
livewire713
Apprentice
Apprentice

All 5 of my cameras were offline again today. The camera light was out on the basestation. Rebooted and they're back. It didn't record a thing for 6hrs.  If I could I would return the whole thing. Im glad it works for some but there are a lot of people having issues after the updates. Go read the reviews for the app on the google store. 

katmcd2
Tutor
Tutor
Returned to Best Buy told them the system was worthless. Gentleman said too bad I was thinking of buying myself, guess I'll look to another product.
woseyjales
Luminary
Luminary

I started a thread a few weeks ago and here's a link, on how I troubleshot my system, in hopes that it would help some of the new users. Take a look as it might help. At least in my case it was all wifi related.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Wire-Free-camera/How-I-troubleshot-my-Wireless-Arlo-system/td-...

livewire713
Apprentice
Apprentice

Woseyjales, are you saying you connected the basestation to the wifi extender through the ethernet port on the extender?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not the person you were talking to but, yes, you connect the base to the extender's Ethernet port as if it were the router.

livewire713
Apprentice
Apprentice

I tried that, I even ethernet cable from my router to my basestation. I'm going to see what I need to do about getting a new basestation.

woseyjales
Luminary
Luminary

livewire713 wrote:

Woseyjales, are you saying you connected the basestation to the wifi extender through the ethernet port on the extender?

Yes sir.

livewire713
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just got home and noticed all my cameras were showing online but not one recording for 5hrs. Hit the liveview button and this is what I get.

Alro Offline.JPG

livewire713
Apprentice
Apprentice

Rebooted my basestation through the web interface and everything is back online. Live view working again as you can see they all say just now. All cameras have a full signal except for the one on the back of my garage. 

arlo online.JPG

Gdot
Initiate
Initiate
Devise offline sooooooo much it looses effectiveness as a security system. Why do I need to watch the base Arlo needs to watch the base for me! Now that the camera as base is 3 states away...it does me a heck of alot of good watching my beach house. The purpose of a security system is to give you peace of mind not a pain in the bottom. Furthermore I won't be back for 3 months to address anything.....thanks!
livewire713
Apprentice
Apprentice

Gdot, can you reboot the basestation through your browser? Thats what I do with mine. It says its lost connection to the router or the internet but its just the cameras the basestation has lost contact with. Once I reboot my cameras come back online. If you go to settings at the top and click on the icon of your basestation there is a option to restart.

JustLearning
Apprentice
Apprentice
Device unconnected showing on all cameras! The wifi signal seems good so I don't know what is causing this but it is when people are up to no good.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I think we all get this at some point for whatever reason.  When I get it, the first thing I do is log out and back in.  I just had to restart Chrome on my laptop to regain control (not for this specific issue - the library wasn't showing thumbnails and videos were "loading"). If/when this sort of thing happens, you should also try the app or a browser to see if it's one version that has an issue.  And don't forget to check the LEDs on the base.

bwigley
Aspirant
Aspirant
If my motion is set on and I am 500 miles away will my alarm go off on my phone
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy
Yes, it should. But if missed, it is wise to enable email notifications for all motion events as well.
tfunkster200
Guide
Guide
I have the same issue and since the last iOS app update (Android) 2 weeks ago, the cameras are completely unreliable! Especially since there is no alarm that they are off line. And since update, if I am away from my property and not on a wifi connection, I can't access the cameras at all though data connection, states all offline. That helps me.
frustratedarlo1
Initiate
Initiate

That is exactly when we started having trouble- about three weeks ago.  It has to be an update problem because they were working fine for MONTHS and then Poof all the sudden!

tfunkster200
Guide
Guide
My cameras would do it once in awhile but worked fine for months as well, And I could resolve it with a reboot through my mobile phone. Not now since Update. I can't even access using Data since update! It is an update issue. My other base station my X uses I advised NOT to update and he is fine.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While there may be an app issue, don't forget that you can use a mobile browser, too. You just need to tell the browser to use the desktop version through its menu.

tfunkster200
Guide
Guide
I have made that attempt to use my browser with my phone and it will not allow it. My Droid phone directs me to download the Arlo app through the options of "'playstore" and such. I have several cameras since this update that constantly go out of sync. This needs to be fixed. I went 7 days with no coverage until I returned to manually reboot and resync all the cameras. Useless.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
As posted before many times you CAN use a mobile browser to use the web site. You simply have to use the browser's menu to tell it to use the desktop version.